• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ikki Tousen, anyone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cashballer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
If you are looking for character development, you won't find much in the first season alone, as it really only looks at Nanyou Academy. There is, however, substantial development of many characters in Dragon Destiny and in the second half of Great Guardians, from what I remember. They explore the characters of Seito and Kyoshou in much greater depth.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
cashballer wrote:
My favorite characters would probably be Kakouen Myousai and Ten'i Shiman. With their limited screen time, they both take part in some of the best fights and show very interesting character development throughout the franchise.

Good call on Ten'i as a favourite character! For me, I think the inverse is true as far as my thoughts on the anime go. I kinda found the first season to be a slog, with DD, GG and XX becoming increasingly more enjoyable. Although frankly, Yuji Shiozaki's manga blows them all out the water, and it's a crying shame the anime has felt the need to diverge from it (Ten'i being a case in point).

I mean, look. This is not a show where characters develop (although you could point towards the relationship between Ryomou and Ryofu, I suppose), or where deeper truths about the world are revealed to us. This is a show with passable action sequences, exploding clothes, gratuitous panty shots and tits. Lots of tits. And on balance...I'm OK with that! Surprised

I think...just as people who exclusively watch shows like this aren't stretching themselves as a viewer, people who simply can't abide the mere existence of silly shows like this need to pull their heads out of their bottom.

Oh, and furthermore...got a PSP? I can definitely recommend Eloquent Fist (click my www button to see a review on my blog). Lots of fun, and surprisingly well put together.
cashballer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, I would have preferred to see the manga animated as it is, but I'm glad the anime still manages to include as much as it does.

I'll certainly check out Eloquent Fist when I can get my hands on it.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Asurahime wrote:
I like Ikki Tousen because i love how each character develops as the story progress's, making it more than just a fanservice show.

I fell out of my chair laughing at this ridiculous statement in regard to Ikki Tousen. Character development? Did we watch the same series?

These characters didn't develop, unless you count Hakufu's constant whining of "I will get better, you'll see!" as "development" (and only to the point where the next opponent kicked her sorry ass again).

Ryomou was even more pathetic, as she added jealousy to her list of Qualities to Show Mom.

I also don't count the finger rape of another character "development", but I've been wrong before.

Please, enlighten me to where this "development" is. I'm absolutely curious to know where you see it, because I'm drawing a blank. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm willing to watch it again to see if this development exists.

I draw the line to say this series had character development.

You do realize that Ikki Tousen is a franchise right and that there are 4 series in which they had the potential to develop, right? It seems like you've only seen the one by what you've said. The characters definitely do develop during the franchise, it's nothing big or earth-shattering, this being a shallow fanservice-fest, but it's not completely static. spoiler[Everyone becomes more powerful, Hakafu and other characters mellow out a bit and/or open up, former enemies become friends, side characters are explored more, etc.]

You forgot to mention that the girls become better strippers. Anyhow, I wouldn't call mastering the water dragon a character development. Also:

The slut is still a slut.
The idiot is still an idiot.
The anti social dude is still anti social.
The overprotective mom is still the overprotective mom.
The crazy people are well still crazy.
The anime is primarily, "oh enemy, attack" and a bunch of strippers. Perfect combination actually.
cashballer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
The slut is still a slut.
The idiot is still an idiot.
The anti social dude is still anti social.
The overprotective mom is still the overprotective mom.
The crazy people are well still crazy.
The anime is primarily, "oh enemy, attack" and a bunch of strippers. Perfect combination actually.

Is this supposed to indicate a lack of character development? An idiot doesn't have to get smarter in order to have developed. I assume Ryofu is the slut, and she actually ends up spoiler[dead], and then completely different in the third season. The overprotective mom is presumably the only mom in the franchise, who never really seems protective at all to me. I have no idea who the anti social dude is, which seems strange given that there are so few dudes in the series. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your interpretations.

I'm not about to compile a list of how each character changes (it's been a long time), but the changes are there in small amounts. This thread is making me want to rewatch the first three seasons.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
cashballer wrote:
I have no idea who the anti social dude is, which seems strange given that there are so few dudes in the series. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your interpretations.

Sousou is my guess. But watching through all seasons, its not a case of being antisocial so much as having to restrain himself from getting involved.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:24 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
Not by a long shot. Laughing

But I'll say that I'm one of the people out there that doesn't hate this show with a burning passion. I know damn wll that it's nowhere near a quality series, but I can still sit down and say that, to some extent, I enjoy it(season 1 and Dragon Destiny, at least).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
I have never watched Ikki Tousen, but I've heard enough about it (and seen the trailer, which is just the OP) to know what sort of a show it is. But I did manage to get my father into it.

He's known about my love of Anime since I was a teenager, and we even watched a few series together back in the day. One day a few weeks ago he asks me if I have any good shows that he could watch. Although he'll watch Mecha (you should have seen his reaction to End of Evangelion), his biggest interest is in "strong female protagonists wielding deadly weaponry". Or as he puts it, "Chicks With Guns". Well, after recommending Burst Angel and Black Lagoon, neither of which he stuck to, I mentioned Ikki Tousen. No guns, but there are a lot of chicks. And "bazookas" (if you know what I mean) are guns too, right? (Yes, you know exactly what I mean.) So far he's watched the first three seasons in like three or four weeks (he watches it streamed), but I'm not sure if he'll watch the fourth season.

So yes, even dirty old codgers can get into shows such as Ikki Tousen. Or should that be, especially dirty old codgers?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I told myself I was going to stay out of this thread, but I just had to comment on PJ's statement.
PetrifiedJello wrote:
These characters didn't develop, unless you count Hakufu's constant whining of "I will get better, you'll see!" as "development" (and only to the point where the next opponent kicked her sorry ass again).

YES. And this is one of the main reasons I won't watch another second of this franchise. Hakufu made my list of most irritating characters of all time. She's completely useless. She just got herself beat up constantly (that scene in particular where spoiler[the guy got beat up in her stead to save her yet she still gets herself beat up, thus nullifying the guy's selfless sacrifice] made me want to strangle her). She has the most obnoxiously stupid "catch-phrase" ever: "The one who said stupid first is stupid!" Rolling Eyes There's a line between cutesy-dumb and flat out stupid, and Hakufu leaps over that line. I'm sure they find some way to make her start winning fights in the later seasons, but when a character has been completely useless and irredeemably stupid for an entire season, well, you'd understand why I wouldn't care to stick around to see, right?

I'll take Sekirei over this any day. At least Sekirei had cool fight scenes and the characters were actually likable.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I would agree with Sekirei and it's sequel being better than IT at least.
cashballer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I said it before and I'll say it again: don't watch the first season for the characters. Hakufu is easily the most irritating character in the franchise for the majority of all four seasons, but she's especially annoying in season one (probably because she's the clear main character, too). To make matters worse, she also has the most annoying VA in the English dub... couldn't watch more than an episode of that.

I'm just saying, if you're going to argue with the OP's interest in the franchise's character development (as opposed to the first season's), you should know what he/she is talking about.

With regard to Sekirei, I have yet to see Pure Engagement; it's been on my to-do list for a long time. For whatever reason, I couldn't stand Musubi in the first season, although Kusano and Tsukiumi made it much more enjoyable. I prefer Ikki Tousen for the fights, but I don't dislike either series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
@ dtm42: I think you and I have already firmly established that we wouldn't get on very well in RL, but your Dad sounds awesome!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
cashballer wrote:
I said it before and I'll say it again: don't watch the first season for the characters. Hakufu is easily the most irritating character in the franchise for the majority of all four seasons, but she's especially annoying in season one (probably because she's the clear main character, too). To make matters worse, she also has the most annoying VA in the English dub... couldn't watch more than an episode of that.

I'm just saying, if you're going to argue with the OP's interest in the franchise's character development (as opposed to the first season's), you should know what he/she is talking about.

I agree that if you're going to argue a case about IT characters and haven't seen the other series you automatically lose by default.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Hakufu made my list of most irritating characters of all time. She's completely useless. She just got herself beat up constantly (that scene in particular where spoiler[the guy got beat up in her stead to save her yet she still gets herself beat up, thus nullifying the guy's selfless sacrifice] made me want to strangle her). She has the most obnoxiously stupid "catch-phrase" ever: "The one who said stupid first is stupid!" Rolling Eyes There's a line between cutesy-dumb and flat out stupid, and Hakufu leaps over that line.

Have to agree with all this; Hakufu really is an annoying dumbass. It gets better in later seasons - mainly as she doesn't get as much screen time - but she still has that stoopid catchphrase.

As I said previously, I can completely sympathise with people hating the first season as I found it to be a real slog myself.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Although he'll watch Mecha (you should have seen his reaction to End of Evangelion), his biggest interest is in "strong female protagonists wielding deadly weaponry". Or as he puts it, "Chicks With Guns". ...
I do hope that in addition to Ikki, you've recommended the Bee Train trilogy to him, Noir, Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja.

All set in their own alternative universes ... but then again, Ikki is an alternative universe where all female students must get plastic surgery before entering high school and the cost forces their poor families to buy them paper instead of cloth shirts for their school uniforms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3