• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summer time means new summer shows!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The time has come for the anticipation of the summer season. It would be nice of ANN to do a summer preview despite the low number of shows premiering since there's a good chunk of them that are noteworthy.

As for me, there are more series I'm anticipating for this summer than last season.

Aoi Hana (also known as Sweet Blue Flowers) - Director of Honey and Clover Kenichi Kasai doing yuri?!! I may be banking a dangerous amount of hope in this one, but this could be the one series that'll have a mature take on the yuri genre itself. I doubt this will be a DVD bestseller, but if this series is handled correctly, I can at least give a confident recommendation towards any yuri fans.

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni - A new series from the peeps who brought you the Higurashi series. From what I'm hearing from the other peeps who read through this visual novel, the concepts and execution of the horror and mysteries are handle in a much different matter that is actually better than their predecessor Higurashi.

Bakemonogatari - Ahhh, yes! An Akiyuki Shinbo x SHAFT production (man, it's amazing they got popular after MoonPhase). Andrew Cunningham's enthusiasm of this title makes me want to watch it. From what I got from the synopsis, this seems right up in Shinbo's alley though that trailer that was posted make it seems like there will be some serious horror elements incorporated in it (unless it's part of a joke).

CANAAN - The peeps of Type-Moon are involved so it's pretty damn obvious! And not to mention the action-packed trailers made it inciting. I'm curious on what the plot of this one will be about because I heard it'll be different from the one that's on the chart above.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to few titles myself.

Fight Ippatsu! Jūden-chan!! seems to be magical girl/ecchi series [nipples!] ; Bakemonogatari because it's SHAFT Wink ; CANAAN since it looks pretty sweet; Umineko no Naku Koro ni promises to be better than Higurashi and Spice and Wolf II of course!

I'll probably check out some of the others too, at least first episode.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to Spice and Wolf II and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 this summer. Spice and Wolf was one of the few 2008 titles I enjoyed, so a second helping should give me the same goodness of Horo and Lawrence. Bones did good work with titles like RahXephon, Full Metal Alchemist, and Ouran Host Club and I'm hoping their work on Tokyo Magnitude is just as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably watch Geijutsuka Art Design Class because I want to watch a slice-of-life comedy about moé high school girls in some kind of club to replace my weekly K-On! fix.

Maybe also Kanamemo and Sora no Manimani, for more slice-of-life cuteness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
There looks like there will be some interesting ones to watch. Aoi Hana sounds particularly exciting, for the reasons darkchibi07 gave. Tokyo Magnitude and CANAAN also could be interesting.

Two more that caught my eye are Kanamemo because it could be interesting, if the characters are portrayed as being adults (well, other than the main character, of course). It's worth giving a shot, at least. Geijutsuka Art Design Class also appeals to me because I like art but it will depend on how well developed the characters are whether or not that one will work.

There definitely should be at least one show worth following...though I'm still working my way through the Spring shows.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, as far as continuations to franchises I've enjoyed goes, it's a pretty good season. I intend to watch Spice and Wolf II , the Utawarerumono OVA, the rest of Higurashi no Naku Koroni Rei, Negima!?: Mouhitosu no Sekai, the rest of Dogs: Blood, Bullets and Carnage, and the second season of White Album but that's missing from there. I thought that was comming out this summer. Confused

As for new stuff that looks good I'm definitely checking out Umineko no Naku Koroni seeing as how it's from the same minds that brought us Higurashi no Naku Koroni. I also think Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and Canaan look worth a chance.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Heh, sort of odd that I just pick up the first volume of the Dogs: Stray Dogs Howling in the Darkness prologue manga when I find out that it's already become an anime, the fact that I pre-ordered the manga for Dogs: Blood, Bullets and Carnage literally hours ago doesn't help much either. I enjoy reading rather than watching though so I guess it's not much of a disappointment. I think out of the summer season the only things I'll probably end up watching are Canaan, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and maybe Bakemonogatari if it's interesting enough and Needless sounds like it has the potential to be intersting, however I'm not holding my breath on that one. Of course the big one for me is Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei I would've been happy if that were the only show to come out this summer. Sadly the rest looks like either moe, ecchi or loli shows and that's just not my thing.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Slim pickings again. I don't want to be 'that guy' who complains about recent anime but in all honesty just based off the pictures and descriptions there, 95% of it immediately strikes me as either something I wouldn't be interested in at all or in a few cases, something that will probably be terrible which is a shame because if it wasn't I might actually enjoy it. (I'm thinking of NEEDLESS and Cobra here).

CANAAN looks like it might not be awful. I'm not jumping to the conclusion that it will be good though. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 looks interesting though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Well, there are about six shows that I might be interested in. They are:

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
CANAAN
Spice and Wolf 2
Bakemonogatari
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
NEEDLESS

Those are the shows that (apart from Spice and Wolf 2, which is a sequel) look like they have at least a spark of originality to them (although NEEDLESS sounds a lot like s-CRY-ed, a decent show). And they are shows that look like they at least acknowledge the more discerning viewer.

For example, Taishou Yakyuu Musume is supposedly set in 1925, and yet the associated picture is of two girls in modern uniforms (including skirts higher than the knee), with a modern softball/baseball mitt, and the series is about baseball. Tell me, how can the show be set in 1925? Seriously?

I suppose Sturgeon's Law applies here, but it is depressing that they continue to churn out such garbage. And that people still watch said garbage.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
First time- nothing new to watch. Maybe Spice and Wolf OVA, but all those new series sounds a bit familiar.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 BONES and an interesting setting.
Bakemonogatari SHAFT, Shinbo and NisiOisin, HELL YEAH.
Spice and Wolf Hororo~n. Enjoyed both the previous season and the books this season is probably based on.
Aoi Hana Manga was great. Anime should be decent at worse
CANAAN Any game that can get a full score from Famitsu should not be bad.
Zetsubou Sensei More despair is a good thing.
Princess Lover Hated the game! Will hate the anime! Why do I plan to watch this? I don't know!
Taishou Yakuu Musume This show better involve lots of girls in hakama (this is what Taishou was all about, right?) or I'm dropping this after first episode.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni If this is even half as good as the games I will consider this to be one of the best anime ever. Those who have not yet played the games should do that right now.

Would be nice if ANN did a preview for this season, because there are several titles that seem like they could be good.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I thought Zetsubou Sensei was scheduled for fall? I guess they moved it up... Well, which is a good thing.

This season is a treat to yuri fiends, last time I counted I found 3 titles...

Sadly, I'm not seeing anything fun to watch other than Despair and Horo... Well, there are also a few movies released this summer that are not on this list, though.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It would be nice of ANN to do a summer preview despite the low number of shows premiering since there's a good chunk of them that are noteworthy.

Wow, love the format in the image! Series and description all in one.

With that, here are the ones I'm interested in:
Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou - Magic. Nuff said.

Kananmemo - this looks interesting and having seen parts of Aria, might be right up my alley for something different.

Element Hunters - Seems a little RPG gamish to me, so I may check it out on previews to see if it's worthy of a purchase.

Couple of other titles peek my curiosity, but not sure about them just yet.
Anumari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
The only one that really caught my attention was Needless even tho i will probly whatch some of the others Needless is the only one that perks my intrest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'll be able to stick to this, but my current plan is not to catch ANY of these new shows until they have completed their run. Why? Well, because I really hate getting into a show and then having to wait a week for the next episode to come out. It's funny, for most of my life that was the only way you could watch TV, but now that there are other options, I can't go back to the old school way.

I just watched all of Toradora! recently and I'm really glad I was able to go at my own pace in watching the entire series as opposed to having to wait for each episode to come out.

I have a ton of anime DVDs to watch, plus other completed series to stream, so I won't lack for material. By the time I get a grip on that, these new shows will probably have finished their run and be waiting for me. Also, by that time, I'll probably have a better sense of which ones are worth checking out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2