• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Place Promised in Our Early Days -- question.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypersoda

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I was watching the trailer (hopefully I get around to watching the movie one day) and I was just wondering something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKfn6cFD78

Pause at 1:09. What kind of aircraft is that? Because I was sitting in my backyard one day and I could've sworn I saw something that looked just like that.

Or maybe I'm crazy, but let's not go there.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
It looks to be a Lear with very large Canard wings.

You may have seen something similar. They've been in use for quite a while now, but the wings aren't as large as in the video.

Here's a pic
hypersoda

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
It looks to be a Lear with very large Canard wings.

You may have seen something similar. They've been in use for quite a while now, but the wings aren't as large as in the video.

Here's a pic

Website doesn't work, but that's good to know I'm not crazy. ._. I'm overly neurotic and thought I was hallucinating because I thought it was a UFO or something (I was 11 at the time, and that was almost 4 years ago now. I had never seen it before, and it just looked so strange). Damn overactive imagination and neurosis. ._.

Never mind, website works. That might've been it. I remember it being a little larger in my memory though, and it actually did look black on the underside (but then eventually I could see the silver/whiteness of it). But yeah, that probably was it.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Actually (you can really tell in that picture) it's not an actual plane. It's something that is made for the movie (explained once you watch it). But I can see some similarities to actual planes. In that trailer you don't get a good look at it though, it's a pretty crazy design. I can't find a very good shot of the plane right now but it looks cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Actually (you can really tell in that picture) it's not an actual plane. It's something that is made for the movie (explained once you watch it). But I can see some similarities to actual planes. In that trailer you don't get a good look at it though, it's a pretty crazy design. I can't find a very good shot of the plane right now but it looks cool.

Yeah, but like that was the exact image that I saw a while ago....

Like, really the exact image. ._. It even appeared with the same black effect you see in the trailer (though later I saw some silver-ish details). ._. Maybe I AM nuts after all...
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
hypersoda wrote:
Like, really the exact image. ._. It even appeared with the same black effect you see in the trailer (though later I saw some silver-ish details). ._. Maybe I AM nuts after all...

I wouldn't say that, it is modeled after actual planes. And from the angle it looks allot like an actual model of plane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hypersoda

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
hypersoda wrote:

I wouldn't say that, it is modeled after actual planes. And from the angle it looks allot like an actual model of plane.

Yeah, maybe you're right. My imagination is probably a little too nuts too. ._. But if something similar to it DOES exist, then that would make me very happy to know that I'm not nuts. But I'd need an underside picture to really judge because that's basically what I saw.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
while I have not seen the movie, judging from the trailer at 1:08/9, its a stealth bomber. Granted it might be a different jet in the movie, but the design is based on the real deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_aircraft

and to be more specific I would guess a B-2 Spirit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-2_Spirit
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
I shake my head sadly when I hear A: some people failed to recognise the unique profile of a B2 Spirit, and B: that someone claims to have seen one fly over their house. What's this world coming to?

Also, Mushi-Man, next time you may want to watch the trailer in question instead of embarrassing yourself.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I shake my head sadly when I hear .... that someone claims to have seen one fly over their house. What's this world coming to?

Well, while improbable, I wouldn't say impossible. I live near a small air port called Buchanan Field Airport. They have air shows every summer, and because of this I have seen some very uncommon air craft fly over in my area (the greatest sight was a B-17 bomber flying fairly low).
hypersoda

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I shake my head sadly when I hear .... that someone claims to have seen one fly over their house. What's this world coming to?

Well, while improbable, I wouldn't say impossible. I live near a small air port called Buchanan Field Airport. They have air shows every summer, and because of this I have seen some very uncommon air craft fly over in my area (the greatest sight was a B-17 bomber flying fairly low).

Well, at least I know that it's something that exists. And the B-17 looks freakishly like what I saw....

Shit, I hope I'm not nuts. ._. There's no airport near my house (though there is one in the next state, which is like a 15 minute drive from my house, but even then it's just a regular airport, or so I think.)

Edit: Oh wait! I just remembered! In my area I've seen some model airplanes fly around (like this: http://mike.kruckenberg.com/images/bi_plane.jpg), so there may have been an airfield near my old house).

Edit 2: I spoke to my mom about it, and I found out that there is indeed an airfield in the next state. That makes me feel better.

Edit 3: I looked at the article a bit more, and yes, that was definitely it. It even had the below picture, and it clearly matches what I saw. Thanks guys!

Edit 4: Sorry about all the edits, but I just found out something interesting! Someone else saw it about a month or two after I saw it (I saw it in July or August, while this guy saw it in September). So I guess it probably was flying around that day after all. Thanks for your help guys!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I shake my head sadly when I hear A: some people failed to recognise the unique profile of a B2 Spirit, and B: that someone claims to have seen one fly over their house. What's this world coming to?

Also, Mushi-Man, next time you may want to watch the trailer in question instead of embarrassing yourself.

No, I recognized the B-2 Bomber. And I did click on 1:09 and it sent me to a picture of the plane which was fictionalized for the movie, not the B-2. I don't know why this is, but I was assuming that the OP was referring to this plane. Also, because of the OP's reply to PetrifiedJello's post it seemed like that is what they were talking about. If I had gotten the video command to work properly and send me to 1:09 (it sent me to 1:12) then I would have given the proper response.

Also, it is pretty common to have B2 bombers fly over their house. If you go near airbases you can see them running drills quite often. I use to live just about a mile away from one and I had the chance to see them a few times.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

No, I recognized the B-2 Bomber. And I did click on 1:09 and it sent me to a picture of the plane which was fictionalized for the movie, not the B-2. I don't know why this is, but I was assuming that the OP was referring to this plane. Also, because of the OP's reply to PetrifiedJello's post it seemed like that is what they were talking about. If I had gotten the video command to work properly and send me to 1:09 (it sent me to 1:12) then I would have given the proper response.

Also, it is pretty common to have B2 bombers fly over their house. If you go near airbases you can see them running drills quite often. I use to live just about a mile away from one and I had the chance to see them a few times.

Yeah, but it kind of freaks you out when you're eleven and you have no clue as to what the hell it actually is. And if you have a crazy imagination. ._. I actually had no clue that I lived that close to an air base until today. I knew about the actual airport, but I had no clue that they also used it so that people can fly their own antique planes and such. And of course, I had no clue what a B-2 was until today either. Also, my memory was a little fuzzy, so some parts of the plane (basically the wings) did remind me of it. Sorry about the confusion there. Then when the B-2 was posted, it jogged my memory quite a bit and that's when I really remembered what it looked like (with all the little details and everything).

But anyway, thanks again for everyone's help!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1