• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lost episodes?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treadwell

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I was reading about Tokyo Movie Shinsha's first TV work, BIG X, which was created by Osamu Tezuka (the only time TMS would animate his work).

Apparently, even though 59 episodes were made, only 21 of them survive. Copies of the rest are nowhere to be found.

The reason for this is because the show was made in black-and-white. It seems that there are quite a few B&W anime missing because of little value being seen when television went color. The 1966 "Osomatsu kun" series was lost for years until 16mm copies of the entire series was found in a warehouse. The complete series was put on DVD several years ago.

Does anyone know any examples of anime where some or all episodes are confirmed missing?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
There was a thread on a show called Marco Polo no Boken awhile back that points out the master tapes for said show no longer exist.

In the video here on ANN of Mike Toole's Dubs that Time Forgot panel, he points out the wife of the producer of the show The Amazing 3 threw out the master reels, which are now in a New Jersey landfill somewhere.

For a more hopeful take, TRSI's story of how they came to be talk about how the original masters for Astroboy were all destroyed... and how the show was completely reassembled after a worldwide search for broadcast copies illegally kept by fans. (In fact, I seem to recall reading episode 34 is now only available in English, becuase the Japanese episode was pulled before airing.)
treadwell

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
(In fact, I seem to recall reading episode 34 is now only available in English, becuase the Japanese episode was pulled before airing.)

Ah yes. Osamu Tezuka himself destroyed the print because he hated it (but not before a copy was sent to NBC for English dubbing).

A few years back the original Japanese copy of the episode was found in a warehouse.

Episode 34 was animated at Studio Zero and the quality...wasn't very good, hence Osamu hating it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I know that quite a few (maybe even most) of the episodes of the original Astro Boy that weren't dubbed into English aren't known to exist in any form, since television stations in those days didn't make a habit of keeping original tape reels. I believe the same is true of the episodes of the original Tetsujin 28-Go that weren't used for Gigantor. It's the same situation as multiple episodes from the first few seasons of Doctor Who; the fan quest to try to track some of those down has been rather amazing.
treadwell

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Looking up, most of the black and white Astroboy survived in some form or another. The Japanese DVD boxsets that came out sometime ago only has three or so episodes omitted because a film print couldn't be found.

It's pretty clear, though, that shows that were made in black and white suffered the most.
sk1199

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
It's my understanding that the Doctor Who episode were lost when the BBC's warehouse caught fire.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
No, a lot of Doctor Who episodes were simply wiped or intentionally destroyed. For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_missing_episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1