• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Anime affect peoples personalities?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold_Dragon_0314

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote
Hey! I'm doing a project in english on opinion pieces... I decided to make it on how Anime affects peoples personalities. What do you think? Any help is good!!! THANKS!!!!!
Rozzer

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, cause sometimes when people wont stop talking to me, I wish I could blast them away like Vegeta always wants to. Laughing
TessaTestarossa

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quote
My personal opinion is that, yes, it does affect peoples' personality.

From my observation, most animes carry a positive message beneath all the action and whatsoever Rolling Eyes . I think the best example would be Rourouni Kenshin. The message spoiler[ about "wanting to live" and "protecting the weak" and "hold your beliefs" ] prevail throughout the series. I guess by watching the series you would somehow be "inspired". And if you like a certain series, it would leave an impression, well, the most obvious is like people would want to cosplay and all, so I guess the effects are there.

Something simple to start the topic. Hope it can help you. Very Happy

I wonder what people inspired by shishiro will do??[/spoiler]
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
My opinion I think it has it's good points and bad points.

On the negitive,
I think first of all I think there are Anime "Addicts" who become self involved. Like anything, you can become too involve with a thing and obsessed.
Some people become snobs, but you can't be sure the would not have become snobs about something else.

On the neutral--

By being involved in a subculture that is outside of the mainstream you get both the pluses and minus that that entails. That can give a passion to exel in an ways that wouldn't occur to you otherwise but it can also turn you into an alienated loner.
It's all in how you use it.

On the positive,

I think there a lot of good values and role models in Anime that a lot of Anime fans consoiusly or unconsoiusly pick up on. Many of these, duty (Giri), sincerity or putting your heart into actions (Makoto), and conection to the natural world are areas that I feel complement the "blind spots" in western morality rather nicely (and I think opposite is true too). They I think they tend to fill in some blanks that we might not even realise that we had.
I think most of all, anime fans in general are more likely be a bit more sincere in thier actions, more likely too have a personal code of conduct, and be a bit more tolerant of ambiguity then the "average" westerner.

A good book on this by the way is Patrick Drazen's Anime Explosion. The second part of it is looks at the values and philosopical underpinnings of individual shows. It also has chapters on the role of women, japanese religion, bushido/war, and behavior.

All the best,

Nani?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I suppose so. I've been watching uncut anime since I was around 11, and supposedly the first couple years after that are supposed to be very important in developing your personality. The result? My friends call me insane, and say I'm a walking talking anime girl. Aparently one of those annoying hyper ones who glomp out of no where. It could be that anime is not to blame for this, but I'm blaming it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
It could be that anime is not to blame for this, but I'm blaming it.

Hmm. Blaming something as the cause for your problems when that thing may not even be the source. Sounds like you've taken a slice out of the personality of Yui from Fushigi Yuugi. Heh, heh, just kidding! Wink

As for anime affecting my personality though, I guess it might have indirectly.

Since I graduated high school, I've become more of an introvert. And after watching so much anime consisting of the skilled, moody, and not so talkative characters (i.e. Sesshoumaru and Shinomori Aoshi, in particular,) I feel the certain need to act like that around strangers at times.

But being smarter than that, I know my true personality is a lot more like how I acted in high school. Energetic, happy, funny, helpful to others, and talkative (at least to those I knew.)

In any case though, I suppose anime could affect one's personality, but that can depend on various amounts of growing factors, much like littlegreenwolf-sama.

Welcome to the forums Gold_Dragon_0314, and good luck on your paper. Smile
MissKaoru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
My friends call me insane, and say I'm a walking talking anime girl. Aparently one of those annoying hyper ones who glomp out of no where. It could be that anime is not to blame for this, but I'm blaming it.

Hey! I'm one of those hyper girls too! But people love me for my bubbly personality!
Oh and I love Pocky and rice balls!
YAY!

To answer the topic's question.

Yes, I do think anime affects people's personalities. And I'm living proof!
Anime really affected mine!
I just find myself going around meowing at random moments and wearing really wierd hair styles. I also wish that i could use magical powers like some of my favorite characters but sadly I can't. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by MissKaoru on Fri May 28, 2004 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't really think it affects your personality except for in extreme cases where you become obbessive and psychotic about it. I think it just affects how people perceive your personality.

i.e. take a young happy bubbbly hyper girl and people think she's cheerful. Through anime into it and people say she's trying to be an anime character...
MissKaoru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
i.e. take a young happy bubbbly hyper girl and people think she's cheerful. Through anime into it and people say she's trying to be an anime character...

I'm not sure if that is about me or not. But i guess you can say that i am trying to be an anime character.I don't exactally know of which one but it sure would be fun if i were. I actually think almost all anime fans wish they were their favorite character. I mean lets be honest. We all know that we cant be those luvable characters that we see on TV. So some people try to mimic what they see by changing their personalities. (like what i do) Its just the easiest thing to do for someone who wants to be like their favorite character. Atleast thats what I think. Wink

-misskaoru
tsubaki

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
actually, hmm, i dont quite get what you mean. there are different kinds of animes and i think you have to be more specific... if i were you i would say, what personality traits do shoujo anime fans have, or scifi, or action.. etc... you know animes have different target audiences, and perhaps those audiences share some personality traits.
Gold_Dragon_0314

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Omg!!! i love you all!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The only time I try to act like an anime/manga character is when I cosplay.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Sure.

After I watch 26 episodes and the last two episode's stink, I can get real irritable. *thinks of Evangelion temper tantrums*

Rurouni Kenshin gets me in a very good mood. If I'm faced with a extremly hard challenge, I think about the hard life Kenshin Himura had and then I begin to realize that my task is not as hard as it once seemed. Because if Kenshin could come from being spoiler[an orphen sold into slavery into the most influencial man in all of Japan,]then I'm sure I can complete my task no matter how hard it may seem.

Watching Legato Bluesummer's turns me into a very cruel person, noting all of humanities weaknesses and flaws while nothing of the goodness. I start talking in a monotone voice and I fall into a deep pit of self-hatred.

Yeah, I know I'm screwed up. That's what the pills are for. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lone Wolf and Cub

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think it can, but because there are so many fans that hide out in basements no one would ever know. J/K, on the serious side I think any form of media can effect your personality, and anime is no exception. When watching trigun, i cried at the oppurtune point, spoiler[when wolfwood dies] and in scryed spoiler[when kimishima dies]. I'd like to say anime made me a better person, but I think in reality it just kind of gave me a new perspective on certain areas, such as the meaning of loss, the meaning of true love, and most of the meaning of the friendship. These are the things that I most often take away from anime's.
MissKaoru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The only time I try to act like an anime/manga character is when I cosplay.

Yea i see your point. I just love these characters so much i guess you can say that i'm overly obsessed with them to the point that it affects the way that i act. Who knows? I do act rather mellow at times...especially after watching some escaflowne Eps. I dunno, i just think that Van and I have a lot in common. I think that we both like things done right and never give up. No matter how impossible the odds seem.
Who knows? That may be a good trait that i picked up from an anime. Yet it can also be a rather foolish one. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. Rolling Eyes
-Miss Kaoru
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2