• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does Anime Compare to Live Action?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanliveaction

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:15 am Reply with quote
My friend and I believe that Anime and Japanese Live Action may appeal to the same fan base/audience. We've put together a sample that illustrates this form of entertainment and a survey that goes along with it. Please take a look at the video clip on our site and give us some feedback.

I want to assure you before you go to our site that we are selling nothing... we're just curious right now.

Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
Quick question, by live action, are you refering to all kinds of live action, or primarily asian-based Live action?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:18 am Reply with quote
By the survey they're linking to, it seems to be primarily Japanese live-action. Even more specifically of a henshin/kaiju variety.

I'd give my first-born for subtitled Godzilla movies. All of them, not just the most recent four or five. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
japanliveaction

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:24 am Reply with quote
Nagisa is right... primarily Japanese (and asian) live action.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:27 am Reply with quote
Cute trailer. Laughing Although i kinda love the live action stuff, it's more of a guilty pleasure. mainly because of the B grade production and chessy SFX. Well until now, thanks to better storylines and CGI Japanese live action films like Devilman & Casshan are catching up with many American fantasy flicks.
classic series like Kamen Rider and Go ranger will evolve into something more appealing to the masses. Cool Now iwth better effects, there are possibly things you can do with live action as well as Anime.

I'm more than happy to see some of my favorite Anime characters in an live action movie.

What's interesting is that the first US live action movie based on an Anime/Manga was The Guyver. (airing next month on encore's Action channel.) The movie was chessy but the said character and concept had potential so afterwards to my surprise i discovered the Guyver OVAs, which lead to my reinterest in Anime.

BlackRose321

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anime being made into Live Action is a good idea...I've never seen it happen but they're working on Witch Hunter Robin if it follows through. There could be some things they take out...some that won't bug me while others...others will irritate me to no end. I hope it doesn't change the storyline much because then people watching it will be thinking that is what its about when we, the anime watchers, know it isn't. You never know though...I'm curious and a little excited to see how it comes out. Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Um...in case you didn't read the read, this isn't about anime being turned into live action. Rather, it's about Japanese live action films, particularly of the mutant superhero or giant monster varieties.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BlackRose321

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Really? I was going by this: My friend and I believe that Anime and Japanese Live Action may appeal to the same fan base/audience. I could have sworn that meant he/she was comparing the two... Wink Edit: Oh yea, I was also going by the thread title: Does Anime Compare to Live Action...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I honestly have to say that I love watching the liveaction Sailormoon pretty much as much as I loved watching the anime. It's still have the same conry appeal as the original, but it's more, well, serious in a way. I think it's come a step up in maturity from anime to liveaction. I'm not saying it's better then the anime. The anime was just... fun with great visuals and voice actors, ect. Sailormoon liveaction is noticably suffering from it's budget, which the anime did too, but well, talking stuffed animals can't really beat the actual talking and moving cats of the anime.
BlackRose321

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I heard about that on here, I was wondering how that was. What was it about? Did it follow the storyline or was it just...well..not sure. Laughing I thought I was a big fan of Sailor Moon, seeing almost all of it, but then I realized...I think there are movies...how didn't I know about that!!!!! Shocked Surprised
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
BlackRose: This should answer your questions pretty much animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/display.php?id=605
BlackRose321

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Nooooo.....I heard it was dieing. *sniff sniff* I want to buy the DVDs but I'm guessing they are hard to come by? When they say that they're hard to come by...how hard do they mean exactly? LOL I saw the comstumes but I didn't think they were that bad...that closer-up picture didn't help...they stink. *shakes head* Just a question, how come some anime stick for a while, some for years with just reruns (Like, Cowboy Bebop, now don't get me wrong, I like it but it has 26 episodes, 25 are shown on Adult Swim, and they have been run over and over for what feels like forever...) while others that are big with lots of episodes, like Sailor Moon, just seem to...fall off the face of the Earth? It used to be on, what was it, the FoxBox or something...and Toonami...
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
BlackRose321 wrote:
Nooooo.....I heard it was dieing. *sniff sniff* I want to buy the DVDs but I'm guessing they are hard to come by? When they say that they're hard to come by...how hard do they mean exactly?

Well, ADV's rights to the show ran out, so you'll have a hard time finding those releases...Seasons 1 & 2 uncut, etc. I haven't checked in a while, but I think you can still find the boxset of season 2 on some online stores and stuff, but as time goes on, Ebay may be your only hope to snag the boxes.

Part of PGSM's charm are the corny outfits and cheesy props. Watch, then judge...not the other way around. :p
BlackRose321

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I know, I meant the costumes looked cheesy, I would still want to see it though.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what can I say about that clip... It really reminds me of the Power Rangers, running around fighting those grey guys.
Personally I think anime and live action should remain seperate, and anything that you can mix anime style effects into live action, should just be CGI. The best example I have for that is to watch Volcano High, which is a Korean sci-fi kung fu movie. It's really animated in the sense it's like watching manga, and the sort of powers people get in martial arts anime, I.E. Dragonball Z, throwing around energy balls and flying around kickin' peoples arses.

Buuuut then again, if you're targeting the right audience, like children, I'm sure you could combine the two rather well and blow the kids minds. I mean, just think of Land of the Lost when you were little, wasn't that like, the coolest thing ever!
Now you watch it and can't help but laugh Anime hyper

I'm getting off topic here, but you catch my drift Anime smallmouth
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2