• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach -- should I watch all the anime first?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L_S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I just started to watch "Bleach" few weeks ago, and the DVD of the first movie will be released a month lata, and I really wanna buy. But my friends insist I should watch all the anime first, otherwise I will be lost!!! Should I really need do that, cauz I only watched about 6,7 ep, its a long way to go ......... Shocked Shocked
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the show is still ongoing (and probably will be for several more years to come), it would be pretty silly to try and watch all of it first. Of course, you don't need to watch that much of the Anime to understand the first movie, so don't sweat it.
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd say read the manga in all seriousness. I've always admired Tite Kubo's eye for action sequences in his panels and the manga covers the same story without any of the filler. The pacing is faster and you can probably get through the whole story up to now in a day's worth of reading at the library.

For the first movie, at least get yourself through the Soul Society arc, as it introduces all the protagonists of the film.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
The Soul Society arc goes through ep. 63, in case you were wondering.
snakeboy290

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
you shouldn't need to watch all the Bleach series. the only thing that is new is Rukia's znpactot.
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd go with the manga personally. Avoids the filler. story moves faster, and I think it's faster and more portable. You can take a manga tankoban with you anywhere, but it's harder to watch the anime (even on portable devices, screens are small). Also it takes maybe 30-45 minutes to read an average manga volume, whereas 1 episode of the anime takes 20+ minutes. Plus, you get to see Kubo's awesome artwork and the omakes in the tankoban.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
If you have an idea of the story you don't need to watch all of the anime to watch the movies. A lot of times what happens with anime series based off of popular long running series such as Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Case Closed, Crayon Shinchan, and so forth is that the movies in themselves are somewhat independant of the main storylines, though they do have their relevances. Just watch the movie.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
You should watch through the first major story arc (which ends at episode 63/volume 15) first. Bleach's cast is huge and the movie doesn't really introduce anyone at all. They don't explain much about the premise either and, as I recall, it also contains some pretty large spoilers for the Soul Society arc. It contains one small spoiler for something that happens around episode 115, but you don't need to worry about that one as its just someone's weapon and abilities that were not revealed up until that point.

So, you don't need to see the whole thing (and you can't, as its over 200 episodes and not anywhere near finishing) but you should watch the first 63 episodes.
L_S

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
thanks guys, i'll catch up with it, cauz i found there are so many people on the poster who i don't no who there are..... Shocked
michaelBM

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
To my opinion ,i suggest you read the manga ! The original story more wonderful than the anime~
AU_Gundam

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
If you want to check out the movie, just watch the anime/read the manga to get to know the characters in any sense, even if it's vague. Just get to know the characters for a bit and then your good to go for the movie. Most of the movies for these sorts of series aren't canon anyway, so you don't have to go through a continuity mess.

Sigh, the chagrin of continuity. Such makes certain things less enjoyable. FAR less enjoyable.
far0re

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The movies aren't that much fun, atleast that's what my opinion is. i suggest you watch the rukia seasons, and skip the bountou, and princess lurichiy or something.
You can see those seasons as fillers, ichigo doesn't gets much more stronger, and nothing happens that has influence with rukia story. i watched them all though, there fun, but got mates who just don't like them.

the rukia main-story however is really really good. you should definately watch those.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd recommend the manga if only because I'm one of those people who likes to read better than watching. But in all seriousness the manga is the way to go. The art is better, there's no annoying filler characters or story arcs and spoiler[The hueco Mundo arc and the fight with the arrancars gets broken up enough as it is without constantly taking breaks to tell filler stories like they do in the anime.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1