• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How does one become a voice actor??

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BKLegacy518

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote
I heard for one to become a voice actor, they first have to be a real actor, like go to school for drama and all that crap, is that the only way to be a voice actor, or do you need connections and a slick type voice like the one i have ? Cool
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:29 am Reply with quote
Lots of acting school and all that crap. To put it simply.
Fandrez

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I've read a Newtype and they ask 4 VAs how they got into voice acting. They all said they went to acting school, had an acting job after that (like improv of theater), and then found their way into voice acting (I can't remember what happened after). They also said that knowing how to do buissness was a good thing because being a VA you have "giggs" not a real job starting out. You have to find your work.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
A while back the people in Toronto who dubbed Sailormoon were offering a voice actor class. I don't know if they're still doing it, or if you'd want to learn from them... Cool
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's pretty much like steventheeunuch and Fandrez said.

First, you have to go to acting school to solidify the basics of acting. And after that, you start out doing some amateur acting to get some skills and experience and whatnot. Then, if you decide to go pro, start out with some "giggs" doing commericals or really minor roles in some kind of production. And I guess if you're good enough, you can evetually land bigger roles (I guess you'd just have to try out or something.)

It may sound difficult, but if you the passion and right mindset, it shouldn't be as hard to get there as you think. It just all depends on you. Good luck if you decide to give it a try! Wink
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Run Saski is trying to start a VA agency to raise the standards of VAing. She had many things to say on the matter, and talked about how many VA's in Japan are Pop-idols. The idol route is the easiest I can see. You just need to be attractive to older Japanese men and be able to lip-sync.
She says more in the interview. animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=181
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
While classes are a plus, there is another big factor I've heard at every VA panel I've ever been to. You need to be available. You basically need to live in the city where the studio is, so if you aren't living where one is, regardless of your training, you can pretty much forget about it. In addition to that, you also need to have pretty flexible hours, which means that while it will probably require a second job due to inconsistent work, that other job's schedule must come second.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fandrez

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:36 am Reply with quote
Oh, I just read out of the Newtype, the 4 VAs said that you should also take some singing classes because that will help you need a single tone of voice over a long period of time.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
First get known at your local community theater

Then be willing to work for peanuts because no real production will hire you

Hey, it's how ADV's "talent" started, they all used to work the mail-order lines
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1