• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell SAC english dubbed?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acidburn_d

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Hello Wink
Does anybody knows something about Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex coming out in english dubbed version?
thanks Very Happy
shattercone

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be good. I've already seen most of the series; society is inundated with technology, cybercrime is rampant, and Section 9 and Major Kusanagi et al. are at the front lines. The best part of all (if you've read the manga) has to be tachikomas!!!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:05 am Reply with quote
GitS:SAC is coming out this fall from Bandai & Manga Entertainment
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
GitS:SAC is coming out this fall from Bandai & Manga Entertainment

Wasn't it supposed to be July or sometime earlier? I guess they changed it and I just didn't bother to notice. Razz

In any case, I only saw the original movie once, but I liked it. I'm sure I'll like this series just as much (or maybe better from what I'm hearing... Smile)
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
I've already watched the whole of series 1 and I loved it. The last few episodes were a little rushed with so many things happening at once. But overall it's a great series. The quality is top notch too.

Erm, just curious, if the official English version has not been released in the US yet, then what have you guys been watching? It seems that some of you have already watched the series.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
isn't it coming on Adult Swim soon?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:47 am Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
Erm, just curious, if the official English version has not been released in the US yet, then what have you guys been watching? It seems that some of you have already watched the series.

Some people went ahead and sought out fansubs & bootlegs of the series. Even though it was basically licensed the day it went public, both formats were still rather readily available.

v1cious wrote:

In October, yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:27 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

v1cious wrote:

In October, yes.

Gee, taking their sweet-ass time, aren't they?
shattercone

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex Vol. 1 will be released on U.S. soil on July 27, 2004 by Manga Entertainment.

A deluxe edition with a second disc of material (widescreen version of the episodes) and the CD soundtrack will also be included. Excellent stuff!!
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow! That's the version I need to buy. Then I can give away my VCDs. I really need a version with good quality subs. The one I have now even gets the characters' names wrong at times.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:22 pm Reply with quote
shattercone wrote:
Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex Vol. 1 will be released on U.S. soil on July 27, 2004 by Manga Entertainment.

A deluxe edition with a second disc of material (widescreen version of the episodes) and the CD soundtrack will also be included. Excellent stuff!!

Both versions will be anamorphic widescreen.
acidburn_d

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:36 pm Reply with quote
thanks 4 all the info guys Very Happy
I had the whole series from ebay on 7 dvds, bought from Hong Kong but the fun subs were not good and plus the screen quality was like it was captured from tv or something (maybe it was?....) - as soon as I heard something about the english version coming out I sold the whole series- definitely gonna buy the good version now when its out Cool
one3rd

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
acidburn_d wrote:
thanks 4 all the info guys Very Happy
I had the whole series from ebay on 7 dvds, bought from Hong Kong but the fun subs were not good and plus the screen quality was like it was captured from tv or something (maybe it was?....) - as soon as I heard something about the english version coming out I sold the whole series- definitely gonna buy the good version now when its out Cool

What you had was an illegal bootleg copy. Not that bootlegs can ever be legal.
alpinequeen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah well, I saw several episodes of GITS SAC at Jacon 2003 (my first anime convention) in Orlando last year, and since I already had the movie, I searched for the anime on the net. I found several volumes had been released and kept buying and watching until all there was left was the last volume, which mysteriously was not available form the site I'd been buying from. I really needed that last volume having seen screenshots (hundreds and hundreds of them) from another website. Then I found another website that had the final volume in stock and bought it because I planned to give this set to a friend who had not seen it as I had already bought the box set, not knowing at the time that it was bootleg. How was I to know that an anime convention would show "illegal" anime.

So fansubs and bootleg are illegal yet it is possible for us to be "exposed" to anime before they are legally released in the U.S. and our appetites are whetted and our flaming desires for some anime won't be extinguished until we've acquired it. And yes, I will have to get the "official" version of GITS SAC when it's available.

As in Kevin Costner's Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come." Well, if someone sells it, some will buy it, legal or not, knowingly or unknowingly. We might as well go back in time before there were cell phones and computers and digital watches and the Cartoon network and 4 function calculators cost $125 and weighed a half a pound and prevent the internet from being made available to the general public and stop the concept of the global economy. Then we can sit around with gas prices at 49 cents a gallon, playing the latest release of Pong and watch old reruns of 1950's movies.

But then there's GITS SAC 2nd GIG, hmm, naw.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1