• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sengoku Jidai (warring states) anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know a good Sengoku Jidai anime?

I've been playing Samurai Warriors on PS2, the last week, and find that historical era to be pretty cool.

As for the game itself, it's similar to Dynasty Warriors, only it's in Japan and a lot more in depth.

So, are there any good ones? All I can think of is Ninja Scroll and Inu-Yasha, but I'm sure there're more.

Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be just in that time. Meiji era anime also captures my interest (a la Rurouni Kenshin.) I'm glad ADV has licensed Peace Maker Kurogane too.

And as a final question, is it just me or does Oda Nobunaga always seem to be portrayed as a really bad person? I mean, every video game or anime I see or hear him in, the creators always make him the bad guy. But I once heard that he really wasn't all that bad. Just curious if anyone can clarify this. Wink
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I think 'Hakkenden:Legend of the Dog warriors' might be but Im not sure as I havn't actually watched it, I just remember reading a review of it at some point.
Sayuri

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I can only think of Hakkenden(not sure of the time period though) and Samurai Deeper Kyo-that's during the early Tokugawa right after the battle of Sekigahara. But spoiler[Oda's evil in that one too. ]
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Black Lion OVA and I'm pretty sure that takes place in the Warring states era and Oda Nobunaga is mentionied if I remember correctly...gets link anime#526 Why does anime make Oda Nobunaga evil all the time? I can't recall an anime ever saying anything good for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Yotoden, as well: anime#2873

A quote from one of my books says: "Nobunaga was essentially a ruthless tyrant who was extremely self-willed. For example, he had a young serving maid executed because she had not cleaned the room thoroughly--she had left a stem of fruit on the floor. He was also a vindictive man. A man once took a shot at him and was captured many years later. Nobunaga had the man buried in the ground with only his head exposed and had it sawed off. He was particularly merciless in his treatment of Buddhist monks. In addition to the massacre of the monks of Mt. Hiei, he at one time had one hundred and fifty monks who were attached to the Taketa clan's family temple burned to death merely because they had performed funeral services for the departed chief of the clan."

My best guess as to why Oda is portrayed as "evil" is that he hated Buddhism, coupled with a bit of dabbling in Christianity (or, at least more open acceptance of it than Buddhism). The Tokugawa prohibition on Christianity (1612) probably played a role in shaping Nobunaga's negative image, as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Yotoden, as well: anime#2873

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one. I hear it wasn't that great though. Still, maybe I'll like it. Razz

Cookie wrote:
A quote from one of my books says...

Woah! I guess I can see why he's always portrayed as a bad guy then.

In fact, this quote reminds me of a stage from Samurai Warriors, in which Oda Nobunaga is offered a surrender by this group of monks and peasants, but he kills their leader right in front of them and then orders his army to kill all of the pilgrims (or something like that.)

Maybe that was a watered down version of those Buddhist hunts. Shocked

In any case, here's a picture of him from the game. Looks kind of evil, neh?

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Another promising anime that takes place in Sengoku Jidai is Samurai Champloo.

Yes, I'm raving quite a bit over this show as of late, but I just absolutely love the style. It's like Bebop meets Kenshin, but with hip-hop instead of jazz. Shocked Arrow Very Happy
Kamon

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
FYI, the time during the Tokugawa Shogunate was most definately not the Sengoku period (which took place during the 15th-17th centuries). When the Tokugawa took power, the states no longer fought...logically, the warring-states period was over.

Therefore, anime that takes place during the reign of the Tokugawa is definately not "Sengoku jidai" anime, and this includes Samurai Champloo and Samurai Deeper Kyo, to use cited examples.

The moral of the story: one cannot learn Japanese history from watching Inu Yasha. =P

That said, there really aren't that many "Sengoku jidai" anime, or for that matter, samurai-themed anime in general. This is probably due to the fact that samurai dramas are such an overused staple of Japanese live-action television/cinema. It's basically the same thing to the Japanese as the old west is to us...you just don't see tons of cowboy shows on American television these days, regardless of how cool other cultures find it.

For every samurai anime, there'a a thousand other scifi, comedy, magical girl, high school drama, harem, angsty bishonen, giant robot, etc etc anime, because to them, those are way more interesting and not as overdone.

</ramble>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1