• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
- THE BEST Anime COVER ART ? -

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:49 pm Reply with quote
What are the...Best and/or Your Personal Favorite
- - ANIME Cover Art - -
and hopefully a brief explanation why.

Quote:
Though I know that we dont watch/rent/buy anime for the Covers, it'd really be cool if all covers were high quality designs, and kinda Conceptual when they can be.
Just imagine if most of our favorites were made into posters and they'd be frame worthy. It'd be art...made lovelier. * though they make scrolls for some...a framed peice of art work dignifies the work.

so...anyway,

Just a few of mine, and some how come's...

Trigun Vol. 1 - The 60 Billion Dollar Man
check it out: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305753172.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
why?
Its just awesome. How can it not ROCK ! Check it out. It has that Wanted Poster look and feel to it, that matches the story. Plus its a cool detailed veiw. One of my favorites.

Serial Experiments - Lain
check it out: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305460116.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
why?
I love the whole look to all the covers. It has that dream like effect...its surreal All the covers are Excellent.

Cowboy Bebop - All the Sessions covers
check it out: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004XOR3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
why?
The mat/saturated look rules. Very different from the rest of the pack. Imagine these cover artworks on the wall, behind glass, in your own room/office/computer room, framed. Excellent.

Ninja Scroll
check it out: http://www.wellesley.edu/Japanese/130FlyersS02/Ninja.jpg
why?
The Best! Action-packed! Cool Characters from an excellent Story, glorified in a "group portrait!" I mean, check it out...(except for the old guy)mostly all the characters are there and are in Action! be careful...Jubei's blade is about to wind-slash you !

well, thats all.

ch-check ya later,
G-13

Last edited by The Pro Golgo 13 on Tue May 18, 2004 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I like all those you mentioned. I'd want posters of the Japanese Matantei Loki dvds, as well as the Haibane Renmei dvds *Anything by AbE-sama for me*, and the covers of Pioneer's Sailormoon dvd releases. Oh yeah, the angel sanctuary OAV covers too.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I've always been quite taken by the cover art for Read or Die, for some reason. Simple image of Yomiko, minimal background, thick black border, "R.O.D." up top.

It just...works extremely well, if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I always rather liked the covers for Kenshin - Tsuioku Hen. (The first set of OVA's)

I always felt they were just simplistic, yet dark enough to give the near solemn atmosphere they carry. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The original Neo-Ranga covers are quite nice... but then, I'm a pervy bastard, too, so that might not count for much. But they are artfully done.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Hmm... I always rather liked the covers for Kenshin - Tsuioku Hen. (The first set of OVA's)

I always felt they were just simplistic, yet dark enough to give the near solemn atmosphere they carry. Smile

The reverse covers or the default "Samurai-X" ones? If the reverse ones, I agree 120%. If the "Samurai-X" ones...eh...they were okay, though the hideous logo with the hideous name kinda...uglied 'em up something fierce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I like the covers on the Twelve Kingdoms DVDs. They look really pretty, and intricate with all those lotus flowers as borders.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:06 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:

The reverse covers or the default "Samurai-X" ones? If the reverse ones, I agree 120%. If the "Samurai-X" ones...eh...they were okay, though the hideous logo with the hideous name kinda...uglied 'em up something fierce.

Yeah, true, the Samurai X did "uglify" them somewhat... Actually, I was thinking of the reverse covers when I posted. Now if they had kept all the covers as they were released in Japan, that woulda been pretty to look at. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:22 am Reply with quote
Cool! Thanks for the replies and info...

You know, I checked the cover art for those and Damn! They're all SWEET ! I cant say that I've seen all of them, or any of them...but I think I have to try and check em out.

Of the winged animes Haibane Renmei has an interesting look. Very friendly. Its like all the covers are candid photographs. I like em.

Read or Die & Neo-Ranga are very similar, but still nice. The black background works well!
The R.O.D. block letters are Sweet.
& The Neo-Ranga covers are a trip, this one in particular http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008DDSN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg I digg the Vortex look.

And Twelve Kingdoms art looks very storybook/fairytale. Kind of like how Final Fantasy Tactics art work looks. Totally feelin em!

The only one I couldnt find was Kenshin - Tsuioku Hen reverse covers? is this what was being described? http://rkbureau.free.fr/oavvf.jpg If it is this...very sweet too! Very brooding.

well, later...

Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:50 am Reply with quote
Dominion Tank Police. The one with the Puma Twins/Sisters on the front.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:00 am Reply with quote
OK so this isnt actually cover art but I really like the poster released for Ghost In The Shell:Innocence. The one with a basset hound looking over the broken up android. This image is a real peice of art, I was truly shocked at how beautiful it was. That said from the trailer it looks as if the whole movie is going to be a work of art, I have no doubt this will be the best looking anime to date.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:01 am Reply with quote
The cover for FLCL vol 3 on dvd. I loved that picture of naota standing on the rubble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote
Pro Golgo 13,

On the original Neo Ranga covers are there were only red lines and....skin, at least on the girls. Adv added the black part on the American release. They included the originals as flip covers.
thats why Gnollman said,

Quote:
The original Neo-Ranga covers are quite nice... but then, I'm a pervy bastard, too, so that might not count for much. But they are artfully done.

All the best,

Nani?
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nani?
On the original Neo Ranga covers there were only red lines and....skin, at least on the girls. Adv added the black part on the American release. They included the originals as flip covers.
thats why Gnollman said,
Quote:

OH my! Hahahaha...yeah, I didn't quite get that.

thanks for the heads up Nani?
The Pro Golgo 13

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
The cover for FLCL vol 3 on dvd. I loved that picture of naota standing on the rubble.

It Rocks ! http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009MECU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg That one's F R E S H ! ! !

it kinda has this feel to it ---> http://groups.msn.com/artofjimlee/wizardworldeast2003.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1074

The black and white aspect with the shadows part at least.

later jin-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2