• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LanEvoVIII4G63

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone still watched NGE, and if so what are your views on it? Mr. Green
Lord Van

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
After watching the series and the END, I'm going to probably not watch it again for a while. My brain will be hurting for the next year or so anyways.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I haven't even thought about it since I heard watched End of Eva about 2 months ago. It's a great anime no doubt, I just dont think I'll ever get a TRULY good ending it deserves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ogami Itto

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote
its a big love/hate thing with Evangelion, I think its probably the most in-depth meaningful and engrossing series i've ever seen and its right up there among my all-time favourites, but i'm in agreement with Lord Vaun that I probably wouldn't sit down and watch it again, even though I own the series.

Its an amazing series but probably a bit too heavyweight emotionally for some people's tastes. Plus the ending also had my brain hurting for several weeks later
Lord Van

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, I do listen to the OST very often.
LanEvoVIII4G63

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the End of Eva was an okay ending but it could be better, very emotional
roboticservo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the middile of the series now, i love it... Like everyone said is pretty heavy so i watch it for an hour or so evey other day. Iv watched the whole series about 4 times now over the past 2 years.

matt
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:14 am Reply with quote
I have watched the series twice on Sci-Fi, especially the last 4 episodes. Still couldn't figure it out. Then I rented the EoE DVD. That seemed to clarify some of it, but not all. I found that listening to the commentary track explained a lot and then I would say "oh, now that makes sense" However, the ending was just pants and ruined everything before it IMHO. spoiler[I kept waiting for Rei's big foot to come crushing down on Shinji, Monty Python-ish with the sound of a rasberry (Blaaaat). Razz ] That's the only thing that could have redeemed it after that. Overall it's a bit overhyped to me and I won't be purchasing it.
Otaru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:30 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... all the 26 episodes were fine, Death and Rebirth was fine, and The End of Evangelion was good. Only problem I know of in the series is that it left too many people with headaches and migraines. But on the overall, the whole series was pretty good.

And no. With all the depth to the anime, it wouldn't be very nice to end it Shinji going blaaaat. That's why it didn't. It goes too deep to deserve such a shallow ending...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:50 am Reply with quote
Otaru wrote:
Hmmm... all the 26 episodes were fine, Death and Rebirth was fine, and The End of Evangelion was good. Only problem I know of in the series is that it left too many people with headaches and migraines. But on the overall, the whole series was pretty good.

And no. With all the depth to the anime, it wouldn't be very nice to end it Shinji going blaaaat. That's why it didn't. It goes too deep to deserve such a shallow ending...
Most likely the cause of all the headaches then. Rolling Eyes
LanEvoVIII4G63

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
the first time i watched the series, i ended it baffled and comnfused, the second time i understood it more. I want to rent the movies bad
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts, now pulled from several topics over the last year,
On the original show spoiler[ The ending was in Shinji's mind and his instrumentation process. Ultimately he finds meaning and value in himself, the hallmarks of true maturity. It is strange, it is weird, but it gets at the heart of Eva's nature. The show is about people, our flaws, our strengths, our true forms. The ending strips away the giant robot device to get at the heart. ] The show works, there is flow, there is plot, there is synergy in the show. But the messages aren't popular and can be confusing due to the style. I think it is an important anime, one that people should see, but that doesn't mean people have to like it.

On the movies spoiler[ In the end, the choking of Asuka had to do with feeling alive and with Shinji overcoming his own self hatred. When Asuka places her hand upon his face, Shinji lessens his grip and begans to cry. The final words are Asuka's. There are a few other interpretations, one is that is not Asuka. Rather she is Shinji's perfect woman, an idealized version of Asuka infused with Rei. Also, Asuka was dead before the end, thus meaning possibly anyone can come back, this allows for Rei-2 to come back. If you notice, final-Asuka has bandages that are a reverse of Rei -2 and -3 bandages. There is some suggestion that the perfect woman is shaped as Asuka since Shinji has now progressed beyond his mother, and his mother figures. For any of these possiblities, it is a happy ending. Really, no joke. Shinji and final Asuka are free to live their own lives for the first time. No longer are they pawns to Gendo or SEELE or Yui. They will neither destroy the world nor build a momument to it, but live it. (That may be what Gendo wanted. Nobody knows but him and Fuyutsuki what he was planing the whole time. I really want to know, perhaps he wanted the orginal ending? Or was that SEELE's ending? I think it might just of been Gendo's plan, and that is why he was happy in Episode 26, he got the happy life with Yui. Gendo was really a tragic hero, but few believe me.)

Either that or Shinji is nutters and Anno created this as an equivlent of the bird for fans. There is some suggestion that the whole movie was a twisted way to answer fan request on unanswered questions by answering most in the most horrid possible way, while raising even more. After all, we got to know Shinji's preferance, and Asuka got to fight.]
Zeler

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's convoluted over-hyped shit. The only redeeming thing about the series was Asuka, but even she couldn't save that trainwreck.
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I love it.

I haven't watched it for a while, but every time I do I enjoy it. There's things there that apply to everyone and anyone who watches it can take something from it.

I think this is one anime everyone should see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Fandrez

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Neon Genesis Evangelion left me lost in the end. After watching the movies, I was like "and?" O well, just some animes are like that. I like this anime though.
I'll just have to wait for the Live Action Version of this to come out and see whats in store for Eva.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3