• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Picks Up Wāq Wāq, Tegami Bachi Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wāq Wāq will be serialized in Shonen Jump magazine in the United States in August of 2009.

Quote:
The magazine only gets a preview chapter.

The rest will be straight to tankobon format.

So if that's the case, did ANN screw up or something?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Tegami Bachi! I thought that looked good!
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Yayyyy! Tegami Bachiiiii! *shoots heart bullet at Viz* Although, I wonder if the fan scanlation will continue... Hm.. Can't wait to actually buy it.
Asakura-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
What the hell? They license Tegami Bachi before I'll?! Jeez, VIZ is so random nowadays...

Well... at least Hiroyuki Asada finally gets some real love here in the states...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
They didn't say what Wāq Wāq would be replacing. Hopefully Bobobo?

THey explained Waq Waq is about a place where there's someone who can merge with a good machine to protect the village(something like that) & a human girl shows up. Her blood is red, the people there have black blood so of course it all means something.

Slam Dunk ends its serialization with the Feb issue & will move to graphic novel form only

THey also said they don't have the rights to it, but they will be airing some of a Vampire Knight ep at the Shojo Beat panel tomorrow with special permission
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
tebalith wrote:
Waq Waq ran in Weekly Jump three years ago... As far as I know, it was a bit of a flop and ended after only four volumes.

Was it canceled outright, or did he simply have to think up of some sort of ending to finish it off?

GATSU wrote:
It's nice that SD will be published faster, but it'll still take forever, either way. [Probably as long as St. Seiya and Whistle!, too...

It's a pity that Saint Seiya and Whistle! weren't selling, as that caused them to cut down the speed of their release by half. Both titles would've been completed this year as well, with Whistle! finishing this month, and Saint Seiya in September. And I was really getting into Whistle!, too.

GATSU wrote:
I think Shaman King has a fanbase, and people do buy at least the HnG manga, but I imagine those ending to give people an incentive to continue reading the mag and support the older volumes.

Oh, both have their fan base and fans, I'm well aware of that. Though it felt apparent that their popularity was dwindling, as the amount and rate of serialized chapters every month for both titles (as well as Yu Yu Hakusho and somewhat surprisingly, Yu-Gi-Oh! prior to its completion) were slowing down. I can see why they did it (Viz's Naruto Nation campaign), and I was hoping that their former release pattern for chapters would return this year. That ended up not being the case.

In the case of Shaman King, it was understandable, as the anime had completed its run, no more new products were coming out for it, there were no further plans for a DVD release (at least YYH & HnG has/had DVDs coming out consistently), and worst of all, it's LONG. It's popularity has waned considerably, and it probably isn't going to garner hoards of new fans anytime soon. It still kind of sucked for me nonetheless, as it was my 2nd-favourite title out of those being serialized at the time.

Surprisingly, Hikaru no Go's cancellation irked me more than Shaman King's did. It has a similar situation to SK, but it was considerably shorter than SK, meaning it actually could've been completely serialized before I turn 30. Razz Though I admit that it also enjoyed it much more than I did before in the months prior to it leaving the magazine.

We'll probably never know the real reasons why. All us fans can do is to adapt, suck it up, and move on.

Patachu wrote:

Waq Waq will not be replacing anything in the SJ magazine, it's a straight-to-GN release that will only be previewed in the mag.

Hope that clears it up.

Thank you for the clarification, though can somebody fix that in the news post, if possible? The wording seems to imply that the serialization will be more than just a preview, and others might not read the forums or the panel coverage.

CCSYueh wrote:

They also said they don't have the rights to it, but they will be airing some of a Vampire Knight ep at the Shojo Beat panel tomorrow with special permission

At least not yet, I would presume. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Viz didn't pick this up. As it seems, Vampire Knight has dethroned Nana from its "most popular Shojo Beat title" position. Though despite this, I wonder how long it would take for them to release it, given Full Moon's hiatus and their "meetings" regarding Honey & Clover (pretty much a delay in release), as well as their delay in releasing the Nana anime. At least the latter two series do have tentative release dates now.

I still kind of wonder why Viz didn't pick up the Ouran anime.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Their line on Shaman King is a chapter or 3 per month is taking too long so moving it to graphic novel format will actually wrap it up faster, sort of the same as pulling Slam Dunk--that it's a fairly long title & the GN's for titles in the zine are released at a much slower pace than other GN's. I just received Vol 17 of Shaman King & Seiya, which started later (over here)as I recall is in the 20's.
The Shaman King fans are out here, but who can say for how long? I read the increased release schedule for Naruto last year the same way. Naruto is hot, but we are so far behind. WHat happens if the popularity wanes?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
Watari:
Quote:
They didn't say what Wāq Wāq would be replacing. Hopefully Bobobo?

I hope YuGiOh Xtra Gag gets replaced, but that ain't happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2