• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Sony's State of Play and Level-5's To The World's Children

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:17 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna be over here doing a jig about the only two Lunar games being available for modern platforms (There are only two Lunar games. I will fight people on this. Walking School and especially Dragonsong don't actually exist.) Its also good to get a timeframe on Fantasian.

As far as upcoming stuff: I'm (clearly,) a big rpg nerd, so I'm definitely interested in the upcoming Metaphor game- Atlus puts out slick RPGs, even if I occasionally have my gripes. I'm more skeptical about Dragon Age- Bioware's last two swings have been big misses, after all. Still, the game isn't out yet. I'm interested enough in what's been shown and said not to completely write the thing off...but I'm hardly convinced either.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
The State of Play was pretty disappointing. Not much else to say.

I’m getting tired of Level 5’s delays; at least we’re getting an anime out of it, I guess. Side note: if you haven’t played a Professor Layton game…you absolutely should! They’re really fun. On that note, Megaton Musashi is a really underplayed mecha game; hopefully more people get into it.

The most exciting announcement was the Inazuma Eleven remake, since I never got to play those.
Bertram

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I'm just gonna be over here doing a jig about the only two Lunar games being available for modern platforms (There are only two Lunar games. I will fight people on this. Walking School and especially Dragonsong don't actually exist.) Its also good to get a timeframe on Fantasian.

There's literally nothing wrong with Walking School. Especially if we're talking about the Saturn remake which was more in-line with the other 2 Lunar Games.

Holy Horror Mansion just reminds me of Kamiwaza Wanda which was a Yokai Watch knock back in 2016 around a boy with a camera who used it to find invisible not-Yokai causing problems in the real world. It lasted less than a year before getting canned. I wonder if Level 5 in turn borrowed some of that for this idea.

Saying Yokai Watch was more kid-oriented than Pokemon seems to depend what you mean though. On one hand that was around the time XY was airing before the Sun and Moon anime went full Yokai Watch as well so it was more comedic by comparison to XY which a lot of people liked. But Yokai Watch still seemed to have no problem with nudity, sex jokes, fanservice, alcohol, stuff like that Pokemon stopped doing after the first season. And then when Sun and Moon came out Yokai Watch did the opposite themselves and skewed darker with Yokai Watch Shadowside so it was a funny time of reversals back then between the two franchises.
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Bertram wrote:

Saying Yokai Watch was more kid-oriented than Pokemon seems to depend what you mean though. On one hand that was around the time XY was airing before the Sun and Moon anime went full Yokai Watch as well so it was more comedic by comparison to XY which a lot of people liked. But Yokai Watch still seemed to have no problem with nudity, sex jokes, fanservice, alcohol, stuff like that Pokemon stopped doing after the first season. And then when Sun and Moon came out Yokai Watch did the opposite themselves and skewed darker with Yokai Watch Shadowside so it was a funny time of reversals back then between the two franchises.

Can't speak for the anime which i never watched but have heard somethings about, but the writing of the games is definitely aimed at a younger demographic. Which isn't a bad thing. In fact i believe it's one of the reasons why the franchise outsold pokemon at times. I view the Yokai watch franchise as a good counterpoint to the claims of Pokemon needing to be more "mature" or "darker" You bring up Shadowside but i've heard it had mixed reception from fans which led to another reboot that brought back the first protagonist and the lighter tone.

Side note: Anime is wierd in how it can contain the things you listed (nudity, sex jokes, fanservice, alcohol) and still be viewed as a kids show. I'm pretty sure pokemon dropped stuff like that more to appeal to a global audience than for any other reason
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meanwhile, there isn't much buzz about one of their more recent titles, Megaton Musashi W: Wired, available now on Steam and Nintendo eShop.

When Megaton Musashi was announced in July 2016, it was shown on PlayStation hardware and Nintendo 3DS side by side. In all versions of Megaton Musashi, not once has the PlayStation version been unavailable or a late port. It has been day 1. PS3 was dead in 2016, so it was clearly PS4 in the image (Note: While the announcement image shows PlayStation and 3DS, Level-5 didn't announce any platforms) because Hino stated days later in the Famitsu interview that he wanted to see it on as big a screen as possible. Switch and Steam are the late versions. So, it is incredibly weird that the decision was made to only mention/link Steam and Nintendo eshop in the article when it is available on the PlayStation Store.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, there isn't much buzz about one of their more recent titles, Megaton Musashi W: Wired, available now on Steam and Nintendo eShop.

When Megaton Musashi was announced in July 2016, it was shown on PlayStation hardware and Nintendo 3DS side by side. In all versions of Megaton Musashi, not once has the PlayStation version been unavailable or a late port. It has been day 1. PS3 was dead in 2016, so it was clearly PS4 in the image (Note: While the announcement image shows PlayStation and 3DS, Level-5 didn't announce any platforms) because Hino stated days later in the Famitsu interview that he wanted to see it on as big a screen as possible. Switch and Steam are the late versions. So, it is incredibly weird that the decision was made to only mention/link Steam and Nintendo eshop in the article when it is available on the PlayStation Store.

I Googled the game and the Steam and eShop links were the ones that showed up. Simple as.

There really isn't a reason to cop an attitude over this, I don't even know why you're going so far as to bring up details from 2016 (when I was very unemployed and very much not up-to-date on gaming). Check your attitude at the door.

Hal14 wrote:

Side note: Anime is wierd in how it can contain the things you listed (nudity, sex jokes, fanservice, alcohol) and still be viewed as a kids show. I'm pretty sure pokemon dropped stuff like that more to appeal to a global audience than for any other reason

There ARE PTA groups in Japan that worry over that kind of content, but yeah; something like Crayon Shin-chan can have oodles of humor revolving around a kid's butt and still get tons of Kamen Rider tie-ins Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1