• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Palworld Game Launches for PS5 Today

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:03 pm Reply with quote
hilarious timing, honestly. Nintendo might ask the court to speed up the injunction because of this.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Finally people stuck on PlayStation can play it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Picked a helluva time to announce this. Also, capture mechanics mysteriously absent from the trailer
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Kind of funny in light of recent news...
psh_fun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I guess the long, evil arm of Nintendo can't reach outside of Japan Laughing

AiddonValentine wrote:
Also, capture mechanics mysteriously absent from the trailer

They also they didn't show any base building, crafting, overworld exploring, riding Pals, breeding, poaching, and a lot of other stuff. It's just a cinematic trailer of the female tamer fighting some of the tower bosses. I guess they figured everyone knew all about the game already
Bonebrain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:09 am Reply with quote
The balls on Pocketpair doing this move now. I salute them for not backing down or letting this nonsense affect them
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:54 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if they were saving something the announcement for their TGS booth today but it seems like the PS5 version is absent there as well and only PC and Xbox is still available.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
hilarious timing, honestly. Nintendo might ask the court to speed up the injunction because of this.

I'm not so sure. Japan was already excluded from the release, and I'm sure that was a last minute change because of the lawsuit. It also sounds like the lawsuit itself may only be applicable to Japan due to where the patents may apply, sort of like how videos might only get region-blocked instead of outright removed from youtube because the rights are limited by region.

I don't know that I would say Pocketpair is being gutsy by doing this now. Game releases don't happen overnight, at least not behind the scenes, so this PS5 release was happening now regardless. I don't think Pocketpair has the resources to be able to afford to pull an entire version of the game at the last second, and if it does, it is playing right into Nintendo's hands. Pocket has to keep the lights on while dealing with the lawsuit, and not proceeding with its business to the extent possible will make it that much harder.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:14 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm not so sure. Japan was already excluded from the release, and I'm sure that was a last minute change because of the lawsuit. It also sounds like the lawsuit itself may only be applicable to Japan due to where the patents may apply, sort of like how videos might only get region-blocked instead of outright removed from youtube because the rights are limited by region.

Japan has been first-to-file patent for decades rather than first-to-invent and this led to a lot of cases in the 80s where companies would patent various game mechanics even if they had been invented already and then try to patent troll each other. It eventually ended up being a Mutually Assured Destruction situation where people stopped doing it because they could all go down by doing it to each other. In modern times I only see it done in retaliation for patent trolling like when Nintendo sued Colopl over a patent of "controlling a joystick with a touch screen" because Colopl tried to patent it and demand royalties from other mobile developers themselves.

America had a first-to-invent patent system until the mid 2010s and generally has more fair patent laws than Japan does so I assume whatever Nintendo is doing wouldn't work or apply outside of Japan. And it might be something very limited since they seem to have no problem continuing to sell new Palworld merchandise and publishing updates for the existing versions of the game. Perhaps it's something very specific like not allowing any new platforms to sell the game in Japan. Which might have been the reason they filed a lawsuit a day before TGS and this launch was going to start to cut it off.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
It makes sense that it's not releasing day one in Japan given the lawsuit. Though I do want to note something else.

From what I read from a Forbes article majority of Japanese are on Nintendo's side because they view PocketPair and their games in general to being rip off. Like PalWorld being a rip off of Pokemon and another game of theirs, Craftopia, being a rip off of Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild and the likes.

Here in the States we're more mixed on it. There are many who want Nintendo to win because they dislike PalWorld and some who want PocketPair to win because they view them as an underdog as well as bias against Nintendo.

And it's this sort of reasoning why I always try to remain neutral at all times. Because I rather not come off as bias when it comes to sensitive topics like court room cases. After all it's none of my business. I'm just a casual onlooker. So I'll wait until things come to a close.

Also this is still nowhere near as stupid as the Stellarblade vs Stellar Blade lawsuit.
Koroto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:14 pm Reply with quote
TheOnePieceIsReal wrote:

There are many who want Nintendo to win because they dislike PalWorld and some who want PocketPair to win because they view them as an underdog as well as bias against Nintendo.

Honestly I doubt it'll end to court, very few companies can afford a prolonged legal battle on patents.
That said though, I'd like Nintendo to lose, not because the company they sued is an underdog (I haven't played neither Pokemon nor Palworld), but because software patents, and game system patents are absurd (see also Konami vs Cygames for Uma Musume: Pretty Derby).
But I know that's not the probable outcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1