• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rate the Song Above You.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flash33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
The rules are simple, you rate the song the person above you posted on a scale of 1 to 10, then post your own song for the next person to rate. If you'd like you can also give a brief description of why you chose the rating that you did.

Some additional rules.

1. You MUST rate the song above you, even if it's a song you posted.
2. Try to be fair and unbiased in your ratings of songs. Giving only 10s to your songs or a friends songs and only 1s to everyone else's songs isn't fair and isn't gonna fly here.
3. Songs posted must be appropriate for the site.
4. Try to have fun and have an open mind, you might just find an artist, group or song that you've never heard of before that you really like.

The first song is Listen by Sent By Ravens, which I recommend listening to at at least 1.25x speed (click on the gear icon in the video (or the ... icon on mobile), it will allow you to change the tempo/speed of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVXV0S0tg4
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I give "Listen" by Sent By Ravens a Good (7/10).

I listened to it at normal speed, but within the first few seconds, I thought the instrumentation had a Breaking Benjamin kind of vibe, which I did not expect from a Christian rock band. Kudos to them. It's not quite as dynamic as BB, and the lyrics could use a little more diversity, though they were still fairly poignant. Nonetheless, I did enjoy the song.

The one I'm posting is "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" by Seth MacFarlane (featuring Norah Jones). Some people might not know this, but MacFarlane is really big on jazz and swing. He received vocal training from Lee and Sally Sweetland, both of who also trained the likes of Barbara Streisand and Frank Sinatra, which you might notice the influences of via the musical numbers MacFarlane tried to put in the earlier episodes of Family Guy.

I didn't even know till a few years ago that he has a singing career on the side, when I discovered one of his albums, In Full Swing (2017), when I was still working at a movie store. Anyway, I think he's actually a really good vocalist. You also don't hear a lot of jazz and swing these days, in general, so I feel it's a nice change of pace Smile.
Flash33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:03 pm Reply with quote
After listening at 1.75x speed (which is how I prefer to play most Youtube videos these days) I give "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" by Seth MacFarlane a 6/10. I'm not used to hearing jazz music but while I did feel some instrumental sections went on for too long it overall had a solid groove with good instrumentation and good vocals as well, with Seth's vocals reminding me a bit of Frank Sinatra's honestly, which is not something I expected going in. Since I don't watch Family Guy I wouldn't know of the connections to it but him putting in the show some of his musical influences would make sense.

For my next song I present the first Sent By Ravens song I ever heard (Listen was the second) called Learn From The Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxWJU36uDvM
Flash33

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:57 pm Reply with quote
7/10. A little slow but definitely picks up near the end of the first verse. Solid vocals and instrument playing all around.

Seventh Day Slumber - Shattered Life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2ZW-9cLMs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1