• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: All the Winners of the Crunchyroll Anime Awards 2024

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essedess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
Was the award music circus music? Because that was a clown show.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
Amused by Jujutsu winning for best character design. I've always felt that the series' greatest flaw is just how generic and plain the majority of the characters look. Compared to most other anime that get super popular, I almost never recognize the characters of Jujutsu when gifs and memes get passed around.
MF65

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
db999 wrote:
Lots of people aren't liking JJK winning so many categories, and if you’re talking about the entire season I could agree, but apparantly it’s only stuff from before Fall which means in this case JJK isn’t winning for the Shibuya Arc but for the flashback arc, and the Shibuya Arc only up to the point where spoiler[Gojo is sealed]. If we’re talking about those episodes I’m gonna say that it absolutely deserved to win most of the categories it won. That being said I would've loved to see Vinland Saga win some as well

That's only accurate if it was communicated to voters. I'm fairly confident that it wasn't defined as "Premature Death" arc on the actual voting site. They also didn't use the arc-specific key visual. I don't think the majority of voters, including judges, were voting specifically with only those five episodes in mind.

That would mean that the judges, in particular, are pretty dumb, no? Rolling Eyes It's not like this is the first year when the previous fall season is not eligible. Otherwise, what would be the reason to include Chainsaw Man and Bocchi in the voting categories? At least the judges should know better.

Anyway, I doubt we're gonna hear this much moaning next year when Frieren sweeps all the awards (except for Fantasy, of course. Nothing can top Demon Slayer Laughing)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:48 am Reply with quote
Lol, I'm actually a judge and no, I wouldn't consider it an indication that they're dumb. JJK S2's airing situation is not as clear cut. It began airing within the appropriate timeline to be considered (the Premature Death arc) then took a multiple week break before starting the Shibuya Incident Arc. It wasn't a case of "JJK S2 started in October so of course it doesn't count." A group of judges, including myself, talked about this on a podcast because the situation was unclear. Does the whole series get grandfathered in or are we only supposed to consider the episodes that aired in the timeline? Well, asking us to only consider five episodes seems pretty stupid and oh look, the arc isn't defined on the ballot and they're using a more encompassing key visual, context clues point to the whole series.

Also look at how many people who are still confused about the fall cut off in this thread and on social media. A lot of participants or observers don't understand the rules, so it's up to the organizers to communicate these situations clearly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
alabamabeachmouse wrote:
Congratulations to all the winners. Did not watch the event myself, but there's a lot of good picks here.

fathomlessblue wrote:
I suppose JJK S2 winning all those awards shouldn’t be a surprise, although it is a sobering reminder that for all the publicly known abuses & scandals attributed to MAPPA, the average fan either doesn’t know or care enough to be swayed.

I'd much rather awards have actual meaning rather than being some odd culture war nonsense and an anime gets disqualified from participating because some people dislike the studio for personal reasons. People's beef with a CEO or studio does not null all the good work it's done and would certainly be a slight against the original mangaka to have their series dragged into a personal feud.

What are you actually talking about? Odd culture war nonsense? The backlash stemmed from the very staff working at the studio you seem so eager to defend, not randos on twitter complaining about ecchi content, etc. It wasn't some anonymous fan artist posting illustrations of Ema Yasuhara putting a noose around her neck; it was an actual animator working at MAPPA making the bluntest analogy for their experience with the studio.

People showing solidarity towards numerous artists making a clear cry for help isn't random hating or 'beef' towards the studio - it's the opposite. It's support towards its employers and alarm over its working practices or (in Wada's case) flippant attitudes. The studio was nowhere near this bad under Maruyama's watch, and people genuinely want to see a return to a healthier business model for its own staff's well-being.

If you don't care or want to think about any of that, fine, but don't act disingenuous by trying to twist folks giving a shit about the actual artists who make the shows they love into some 'woke hate campaign' (or whatever it is you're implying?), while simultaneously crying "won't anyone think of the poor mangaka!". We know deflection when we see it.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:30 pm Reply with quote
My congrats to JJK, Nakamura and Buddy Daddies!!
pi8you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I understand it's all just a popularity contest and the big tent Shonen cleaning up wherever they appeared (AoT's one episode even being up for Drama though, come onnnn), but man, Horimiya Pieces for Romance? That one actually makes me a bit mad given how strong the other options were (let alone Dangers in My Heart being left off entirely...).

If you find yourself aligned with the winners, that's fine, enjoy what you will, but man, I encourage you to add a random show or two* to your seasonal viewing habits. There's so much good anime out there, stuff that just hits different or will take you on a wildly unexpected ride, and you're missing out if you just follow what CR's hyping.

*Preferably avoiding the field of boilerplate overpowered isekais, but you do you.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Mintchi wrote:
Coming this from someone who has watched more shonen than shoujo:
Damn, isn't it ironic that people love to label shoujo as "nothing but romance manga" and yet Horimiya, which is not a shoujo but a shonen romance manga, won? There were only 2 shoujos, at best, in the nominees while the rest were mostly shonen and seinen.
Isn't it ironic?
Or even worse: having people in here trying to explain me 'having a girly girl as a main character in a shonen/seinen series makes the series shoujo even if it's published in Shonen Jump". Looking at you, crowd that calls Witch Watch, Akane Banashi and Blue Box "the shoujo trio bcs they're shoujo manga even if they're published on SHONEN jump".
...Ok I may have overreacted since people are already calling Blue Box a shoujo even if it's published in Shonen Jump.

I can't understand how people take seriously and un-ironically the demographics of Japanese manga as if they had any sense asides. "Comics for BOYS! No GIRLS allowed!"
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Mintchi wrote:
Coming this from someone who has watched more shonen than shoujo:
Damn, isn't it ironic that people love to label shoujo as "nothing but romance manga" and yet Horimiya, which is not a shoujo but a shonen romance manga, won? There were only 2 shoujos, at best, in the nominees while the rest were mostly shonen and seinen.
Isn't it ironic?
Or even worse: having people in here trying to explain me 'having a girly girl as a main character in a shonen/seinen series makes the series shoujo even if it's published in Shonen Jump". Looking at you, crowd that calls Witch Watch, Akane Banashi and Blue Box "the shoujo trio bcs they're shoujo manga even if they're published on SHONEN jump".
...Ok I may have overreacted since people are already calling Blue Box a shoujo even if it's published in Shonen Jump.

I can't understand how people take seriously and un-ironically the demographics of Japanese manga as if they had any sense asides. "Comics for BOYS! No GIRLS allowed!"

I would recommend that you watch the video by Christy Lou called “Do Manga Demographics Matter?” It explains the whole thing a lot better and more in depth than I could.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a lot of the issues with the Crunchyroll awards could be resolved if they had like a critics' choice awards and then you had a separate award for the voters' choice so that way the voters still have a say but maybe the judges can make their own vote to ensure more overlooked titles get acknowledged instead of this weird system where they're trying to combine both votes. My only real surprise is that Chainsaw Man didn't win AOTY over JJK but at least Bocchi won best slice of life. Besides that the only other vote I thought was especially out of pocket was Demon Slayer winning best fantasy. Like even if you're a big superfan of the show there's no way you could argue that the fantasy element is Demon Slayer's strong point over some of the other noms like Ranking of Kings and Ancient Magus' Bride where fantasy is their whole thing. The other choices I'm like I would have picked something else but it's what I expect out of the Crunchyroll awards at this point.
Elfensjón

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I feel like a lot of the issues with the Crunchyroll awards could be resolved if they had like a critics' choice awards and then you had a separate award for the voters' choice so that way the voters still have a say but maybe the judges can make their own vote to ensure more overlooked titles get acknowledged instead of this weird system where they're trying to combine both votes.

Exactly this. And they should get rid of that stupid "Must protect at all costs category.
Elfensjón

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Well then, next weekend are the REAL Anime Awards. The ATAs did it much better than this one imo.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:07 am Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

I would recommend that you watch the video by Christy Lou called “Do Manga Demographics Matter?” It explains the whole thing a lot better and more in depth than I could.

Thanks for the recommendation. Still, no, they don't; it's 1960's sexism: "boys are like this and girls like that, we must keep them separate". And then we have Rumiko Takahashi, Hiromu Arakawa or Kōji Miura in shōnen magazines and people in Western lands losing their minds when a romance series gets edited in Jump or Sunday…

Last edited by kgw on Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:06 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Still, no, they don't; it's 1960's sexism: "boys are like this and girls like that, we must keep them separate". And then we have Rumiko Takahashii, Hiromu Arakawa or Kōji Miura in shōnen magazines and people in Western lands losing their minds when a romance series gets edited in Jump or Sunday…

I recommended the video because it’s not nearly that simple. Shoujo manga has a rich history and certain style of storytelling that appeals to the emotions, and taking all that away is just going to hurt fans of the shoujo style of all genders. And that’s where I’m leaving it because I don’t have the energy or desire to argue more.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:55 am Reply with quote
Nobody is saying to take away anything. If a style of a way of storytelling is good and popular, it will remain (after all, no publishing house is against earning money). If it's just a niche for things that SHOULD be that way because "boys are boys and girls are girls", the sooner we get away from that, the best.

Is The apothecary diaries shojo, shonen, seinen? If its in a novel it belongs to a gender, but in manga belongs to other? No girls should ever read Frieren because it's a Shonen Sunday manga or Hanako-kun -which run with may classic shojo manga style choices but is a Monthly GFantasy manga? And also, how many good works in shojo magazines are underrated because "you boys shouldn't be reading that"? Confused

EDIT: but please, don't take it as a personal attack or anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4