• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Carolina Student Removed over "Death Note" List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmiles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
BennyMono wrote:
NO YOU GROW UP, STOP BEING AN ANIME HATER.
Why are the moderators deleting my thread but letting these people start a hate campaign against anime. Come on ANN pull your finger out and stand up for DEATH NOTE!!!

Boycotting anime until they stop making bad press.

I'm afraid Mr. Mono that you are the one who must grow up. There is no " hate campaign" against anime. And no one here is an anime hater. The action that the school took is not an attack on anime or on Death Note, it's an attack to the dumb kid who thought that it would be fun to write people's names on a hit list.

do you think he was serioully planning something
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
x_x ugh, triple posting?

You know, if he boycotts anime, it won't necessarily be a bad thing, as long as he's quiet about it.
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
BennyMono wrote:
AY War Horse wrote:
BennyMono wrote:
I HATE PEPLE ALWAS HAVING GO AT ANIME.

Deaf note was relly good and not fair that studant had book, he was cool to have book i want book.

I'M GONNA BOYCOT ALL ANIME UNTILL SCHOOL STOPS HAVING GO. KID WASANT GOING TO KILL PEOPLE.

I agree with fighterholic this was not a direct attack on anime or even on death note, the link to this series was because Death Note merchandise was used and so it is understandable that the link has been made. I also have to agree about the lack of logic in the statement I mean you clearly like anime and so surely boycotting it would just harm you?
STOP ATTACKEN ANIME, WHY ARE YOU ON THIS SITE IF YOU DON'T LIKE ANIME.

DEATH NOTE RULES MAN. BOYcot anime 2008 until school takes back statement.

Whoa BennyMono i do not know what in my reply to you says i don't like anime? I really don't think you understand the article, the point of this thread and this forum.

And in regards to moderators deleting a thread of yours well i am sure they had good reason and if you have complaints don't post these on a public thread PM them and put forward your objections this is not the place for these sort of posts.

And i have to agree that boycotting school is more sense than boycotting the anime but only if you go to the school the article is talking about, and well don't tell us about it being as it is between Benny and the school.
coolmiles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
x_x ugh, triple posting?

You know, if he boycotts anime, it won't necessarily be a bad thing, as long as he's quiet about it.

i didn't mean to do that, i'm new to forums
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
Can we really say the school went overboard, I mean when it comes to a note wishing death upon someone, it isn't something you can take too lightly especially with what's been going on, I've had friends before on hitlists and have even been on one myself and it isn't something you can really just look over.

sailorsean wrote:
Joe anime wrote:
The school went a little overboard here.

i agree with you...i have a death note too and me and my friends use it at school but we don't let the teachers see it... i mean its not like were actually gonna kill someone...its really just a good way to release stress in our opioion... hell every child should have a death note so that there wouldnt be anymore bullying and death notes would be a stress releaver

Seriously, do you even hear yourself? A Death Note is better than a student talking to his parents about the bullying or a counselor? It's very emotionally unhealthy not mention dangerous, if I found a Death Note with my name in it I don't think I'd consider it "oh they were just releiving stress." Like someone said to you earlier get another outlet, wishing death upon someone is immature, stupid, and just doesn't reflect well on you, I'm sure you're not a bad person but what you're doing is extremely wrong.

Wishing death on someone isn't something i wouldn't take lightly
too.and with all thses campus shootings happing,i don't blame
the school for doing what they had to do.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Joe anime wrote:

If this happened before the Columbine attack, then I would agree with you. But in the post-Columbine era that we are in, you can't really fault any school for taking exteme measures to try to prevent another Columbine from happening.

Your're correct.after what happened in Columbine,all schools should
take matters of this sort very seriously.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
N15PCA wrote:
Joe anime wrote:

I don't think you or your parents would feel that way if your name was in that note book. I mean the school officials have to look into why a student would write the name of fellow class mates in a notebook.

Yes,your're right.i would've felt threanted and went to school
officials about this.i'm sure my parents would've done same thing.

I apologize for the comment i made.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:53 pm Reply with quote
coolmiles wrote:
braves wrote:
BennyMono wrote:
NO YOU GROW UP, STOP BEING AN ANIME HATER.
Why are the moderators deleting my thread but letting these people start a hate campaign against anime. Come on ANN pull your finger out and stand up for DEATH NOTE!!!

Boycotting anime until they stop making bad press.

I'm afraid Mr. Mono that you are the one who must grow up. There is no " hate campaign" against anime. And no one here is an anime hater. The action that the school took is not an attack on anime or on Death Note, it's an attack to the dumb kid who thought that it would be fun to write people's names on a hit list.

do you think he was serioully planning something
in an age where extreme school violence isn't uncommon do you want to take the chance? it's the school's job to do as much as they can to make sure their students are safe. they essentially brought a deathlist to school and put the names of fellow students in it. even if it was a joke it was still bringing a deathlist to school.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
in an age where extreme school violence isn't uncommon do you want to take the chance? it's the school's job to do as much as they can to make sure their students are safe. they essentially brought a deathlist to school and put the names of fellow students in it. even if it was a joke it was still bringing a deathlist to school.

That's exactly right. Wasn't there a shooting at a university just recently? You can't take chances with these things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I actually have some similar experience to this situation, don't ask, but I think the school is within it's rights to go this far. At the same time, personally, I wouldn't have removed the kid outright just for this.

Would I call in a psychiatrist to give the kid a nice little evaluation? Yes. Would I do an investigation to see if there is anything else that might indicate the kid is a danger? Sure. I wouldn't kick the kid out for one single incident that isn't an overt threat. (Then again, I don't know enough about this situation. Maybe the kid is exceedingly suspicious in enough ways that the school felt he possessed an immediate threat by preponderance of the evidence.)

My personal feeling is that schools aren't doing enough to prevent these sorts of problems from starting early on. People blame easy access to guns but that doesn't address the underlying mental issues involved. Kids are wanting to murder each other and every one's so busy trying to figure out what part of popular culture to blame, that they seem to be forgetting that the solution has to be on the level of the individual or it won't work. (Seriously, even if we eliminated every single violent book, TV show, manga, anime, video game, song, etc., we'd still have violent people.)

Regardless, this isn't an anti-anime/manga thing. This is a "we're not taking any chances anymore" thing. Schools are Zero-Tolerance zones now, growing more like prisons every year. Parents have got to sit there kids down and drill into their heads on a regular basis that they can't do anything that might even remotely seem dangerous. The schools are in siege mentality and anything that they perceive as a threat has to go.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whoa BennyMono i do not know what in my reply to you says i don't like anime? I really don't think you understand the article, the point of this thread and this forum.

If you want the troll back under the bridge where they belong don't feed them. It only makes more work for the Mods. I speak from experience as Mod on another board myself. Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Let's take another look at it, people. The kid might have been in trouble already, for something he had done in earlier days, and this could have been the last straw for him. The fact that he was found with a "Death Note" didn't make his situation any better. What's done has been done, so there's not too much more I think we can dwell on for this story.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I agree that serious, willful intents to harm should be handled by the appropriate authorities; my problem is with the knee jerk reaction at first sight of a mere possible indication that someone may be harboring these thoughts and emotions. Unless an investigation is conducted and more evidence is brought into play (i.e. friend or relative describing how this child appears depressed/angry lately or a secret weapons stash), then I see no reason to take extreme action. Not only does our media have an influence on our youth, a perpetuating state of fear pulsing in the environment where their learning takes place ALSO has a direct effect upon them.

If I were the school official, I'd want to sit down with the kid and have a talk. A serious talk-not the one liner "Why do want to kill *so and so*?" Preferably, a school official that knows this kid on a personal level should be the one trying to get a gauge on him. If no school officials have a personal relationship with him, then I say our public education system has failed beyond measure.

Someone commented on how a throng of screen names behind avatars are defending this kid, but let it be known that if this were to happen in my town-I would be asking questions about how much of an investigation (if any) was made before this sort of action was taken. Judging solely based on the appearance of a single item (to this extreme) is scary to me.
AY War Horse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

If you want the troll back under the bridge where they belong don't feed them. It only makes more work for the Mods. I speak from experience as Mod on another board myself. Rolling Eyes

Good point but I felt i had to say something, i mean ok others had replied and that should be enough but it was a response in shock to be honest. And so i apologise now if my actions were incorrect and I think that is enough said about that.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
It is NEVER okay to write people's names down in a hitlist, which is what a Death Note implies. Of course the school is going to freak out. I think this just exemplifies the fact that these kinds of threats are finally being taken seriously, because if even one of these Death Notes had serious intentions the restults could be catestrophic.

In my opinion, the problem goes back to the increasingly violent behaviour being generalized in young people these days, especially young men (who the mass school shooters almost always are). Our culture is increasingly acquating masculenity with violent and aggressive behaviour, and young men think they need to have guns in order to gain the respect of their peers. This is a huge problem that needs to be addressed and as of yet has not. It's too deeply engrained in our culture now to be an easy fix. But I digress.

Death Notes in schools are not the problem, violence is. But ANY threat of violence needs to be taken seriously by schools, so for goodness sakes, don't write names in those books and expect not to get in trouble if someone finds it. How are they to know if you're being serious or not?

Last edited by posterior_praiser on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9