• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RPG Maker Unite Software Revealed for 2022

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, Ojima. Every time I finally commit to an engine, you do this. I was so sure MZ had a few more years of life in it.

Very curious what the new scripting platform of choice is, but since it's Unity, I guess that's "anything goes?" RGSS4 even?
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:08 am Reply with quote
Would have been cool if they released for Linux as well, but I guess that'll depend on how well Steam Deck performs in Japan, if it'll attract their attention or not.
Mune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:03 am Reply with quote
Considering MZ is like 1.5 years old at this point, this is a little sad (2020).
MV lasted almost 5 years (2015).
VX was 4 years prior (2011).
XV was 4 years prior (2007).
XP was 7 years prior (2004).
2003 was only 2 years prior (2002).
2000 was released 2 years prior (2000).
95 was released 3 years prior (1997).
Tsukūru Dante 98 was 5 years prior (1992). This was the original.

But hey, Unity should be a nice upgrade.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:19 am Reply with quote
Feng Lengshun wrote:
Would have been cool if they released for Linux as well, but I guess that'll depend on how well Steam Deck performs in Japan, if it'll attract their attention or not.
Maybe not native support but Proton support at least.
Feng Lengshun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:39 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Feng Lengshun wrote:

I mean, it is based on Unity, so it should be an option to export as Native Linux. Though it feels weird that Linux alone doesn't have a development app option. AFAIK Unity does have a version available for Linux?
ChiilongCha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming they're coming out with a new product so quickly because of how bad MZ was. Hopefully it has stuff actually worth migrating to.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Feng Lengshun wrote:
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Feng Lengshun wrote:

I mean, it is based on Unity, so it should be an option to export as Native Linux. Though it feels weird that Linux alone doesn't have a development app option. AFAIK Unity does have a version available for Linux?
AFAIK I don't know. Not a programmer. But Proton aka a form of WINE it should be fine. Hell some Native Linux games run better with the Windows version through Proton. I've played quite a few Unity games with only a Windows version and besides the usual quirks with that engine it gets the job done with the hardware I have. The REAL problem is the anti cheat services that want unrestricted kernel access and that's kind of a big no-no with Linux. I want to play Lost Ark because it's what everyone is playing now and I am kinda curious what all the fuss is about but it's version of anti cheat does not work with Linux. I do have a Windows PC (and it is more powerful, RX 5700XT and Ryzen 2600) but I don't have access to it as much due to annoying background noise that no noise canceling headphones can filter out. Sorry for the long rant.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
can it make a gotcha game so I can start raking in the money
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1