• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket A & Bracket B

Round 4 Bracket A:

A2 Balalaika (Black Lagoon) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing)
It's hard not to pick her over Alucard...she went to war at a young age where she earned hew name whic was slang for a sniper rifle. She got her scars in that war and wears them proudly. She managed to become a crime/drug bigshot despite being a woman, and the men under her would do anything for her, she's clearly earned their respect, and Revy's as well in the show who looks up to her as a sister. She ready to give her life for her beliefs and everything about her says badass.

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) vs. A7 Guts (Berserk)
This one is a no-brainer for me. Guts keeps on growing and going even when thrust into situations he didn't ask for, he'll protect people he doesn't like often, he doesn't let pain stop him, he never gives up a fight no matter what, even if it's risking his life repeatedly, and he continues to really grow and mature in the show(s) and he's one of my favorite characters ever.

Round 4 Bracket B:

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise)
Probably because I am not a DB fan, and Levi command others with aplomb, even when faced with daunting odds against literal titans he doesn't shrink or hide. He deals with his past when it tried to catch back up with him and just has a cool demeaner.

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs. B4 Revy (Black Lagoon)
Spikes whole vibe is cool, he's like water, strong and able to get where it wants even cutting through hard things in his way, and soft and adaptable as well. He isn't the strongest of the two, but something about just thinking about the vibe I get from both makes me pick Spike.

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

A26 Moutoku Sousou (Ikki Tousen) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)
this hardly seems like a fair fight to me. How can you not vote for hte literal ninja, former black ops, former hokage, and always awesome Kakashi?

D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) vs. C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo)
I don't wanna pick! they both are great in different ways...I guess going from vibes again I'm picking Shizuo
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket A:

Balalaika is very, very cool, but I feel Alucard has more egotistical swag. I was gonna' save this as his ultimate trump card, but take a look at this clip. *Major Spoiler* from episode 8 of Ultimate where he unlocks Level 0 of his powers spoiler[ and reveals that every single soul he's ever consumed has become his minion.] I don't care how cool Balalaika is, how the f**k does that stand up against spoiler[ Count f**king Dracula]?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtN7XTGBDiQ
----------

I actually like D more than Guts. I feel he's just as powerful as Alucard, albeit way less maniacal. But then again, he's Dracula's son in a different universe. And while there are oodles of textual examples of his badass-ness in the form of novels. Unfortunately, there's not as much physical evidence available to help make my case (only an OVA and a movie). So because of that, I'm voting for Guts in this matchup.

Revenge as motivation has always fascinated me. I love how it goes down a very deep, dark road to achieve violent vengeance, and Guts is probably the perennial example of it.

This clip is from the '97 anime series. It's post-Eclipse Guts vs. The Baron. For those not familiar with the franchise, The Baron is an Apostle, which is basically a kind of lesser demon with superhuman abilities (super strength, durability, the ability to change their form to a more animal-like state, etc.). Apostles vary in terms of strength, depending on the type of person they were and their beliefs, before they transformed.

And keep in mind, Guts is just a regular human. He's stronger than your average man, has a gadget arm where his real one used to be that shoots arrows and cannonballs; oh, and he's missing an eye. But he's driven by pure rage. And when you piss off someone that's skillfully violent, you're in for a rude awakening. And this is before he even gets Berserker Armor (which I will save for the last rounds). But behold: man vs. demi-demon, and notice how easily man wins. I love D, but Madhouse needs to make a f**king anime series for him, already. Until then, vote Guts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BIxRWDIz-g
----------

Round 4 Bracket B:

I really like both characters, but will give the edge to Vegeta. The thing with him is that he is exceedingly prideful, which I feel gives him a much deeper potential for progression. Compare how he was when first introduced in Z (very arrogant) to what he is by Super (arrogant, but with values, aka uber-prideful); there's a *huge* jump in his character! As brooding and vengeful as Levi is, Vegeta always has a chip on his shoulder and is always out to prove something, which I feel makes him much more badass and interesting as an all-around character, even if he's always second fiddle to Goku.
----------

Revy is badass, no question; an unstoppable force, even. Her one weakness, though, is that she's too aggressive. But like I've been saying about Black Lagoon, the only way to survive that world is with violence and aggression.

And then there's Spike, one the coolest characters around. He's pretty much the polar opposite of Revy: calm, collected, and goes with the flow. I think we often tend to associate the term "badass" with high levels of violence and aggression, because we subconsciously quantify "strength" and "action" to mean "wow, so in-your-face; that's really cool!"

But too much of anything is bad. And while Spike might not be the flashiest, his life philosophy speaks volumes. Presented, below, are a couple of clips that I feel qualify the "smooth badass" as a pertinent character archetype for this tourney. A type that, I feel, is very difficult to write well, which should only go to further prove just how cool Spike really is.

Sure, put Revy and Spike in a gun/fist fight, and Revy will be hard to beat. But if you understand what Spike is implying in these clips, I think his multi-faceted convictions are infinitely more badass than Revy's one-dimensional brute force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWVPaXaouo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjM6xbJglPY
----------

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

Sentire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Round 4 Bracket A:

This was my tough choice of this week. Still, as mush as I want to see more female
presence, Alucard is a smidgen more bad-ass in my view.

Definitely a tough one but I still have to give my vote to D. Admittedly, I am more
partial to the anime but I still think D is bad-ass.

Round 4 Bracket B:

Sad, I don't even watch Dragonball franchise like Sean, but I still think Vegeta
deserves this vote.

Spike is the epitomy of "cool" and he's bad-ass... but I think Revy has the edge with
her overall badass-ness.

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket A:

While Balalaika is certainly a badass, I think Alucard has the more badass attitude. I know I'm a little inconsistent on whether I consider being just stronger than everything a plus or a minus in this contest, but in this case I'm considering it a plus. Alucard's attitude just sells the idea of him being stronger than everyone else well.

With D, I feel the opposite way of how I feel with Alucard. At least in the movie, I felt like he just won his fights based on his bloodline making him stronger than anyone else, rather than any real skill. I feel what Guts does is just more impressive than what D does. He's basically superhuman despite being human, able to fight a hundred men or take on demons.

Round 4 Bracket B:

Vegeta certainly has a badass attitude, but his tendency to lose his fights holds him back in my mind. Levi on the other hand takes on beings who are physically much stronger than him and wins.

I think I have to give this one to Spike for being cool and collected, whereas Revy feels out of control. To me a true badass is someone who is not only strong, but fully in control of that strength.

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

As in past rounds, I don't really want to vote for an Ikki Tousen character, so I'm voting for the other character.

I'm just voting for the character I'm familiar with.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote

Round 4 Bracket A:

Since I'm not too familiar with either of the series, I decided on Balalaika based on the fact that in the previous rounds, she got more votes than Alucard.

It may be petty, but I'm voting for Guts out of spite for beating out Cobra several rounds ago!

Round 4 Bracket B:

Voting for Levi because I still want to see him go up against Mikasa.

Almost everyone seems to be on the same page when it comes to favoring Spike's calm, cool, and collected manner over Revy's chaotic aggression. I'm no exception.

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket A:

Balalaika is a badass for sure but I don't think she has anything on Alucard, especially when it comes to the bravado and swagger department.

I agree with Tony here: D is easily my favorite character of the two. Honestly I don't find Guts all that interesting of a character by comparison, but I do think he his the more badass of the two. D is a badass largely because he's inherited powers from his father whereas Guts is just an ordinary human without any sort of supernatural powers--he got where he is by pure grit and determination.

Round 4 Bracket B:

This was a pretty hard call for me at first but I agree with Calathan's analysis here. Levi takes on beings far more powerful than he on a regular basis--and wins--while Vegeta often loses fights with people he's more or less on par with.

Honestly I wish there was another choice here. I don't feel either character here is particularly badass or worthy of getting this far in the tournament, As I've mentioned before I feel that Revy is too much of an out-of-control psycho to be "baddass". Spike is certainly not out of control. Like Tony mentioned he is a lot more laid-back, calm and collected....but I don't really see much badassery from him either. He can hold is own in a fight but he's not particularly impressive in combat. He's not particularly full of himself, isn't very arrogant, and doesn't have a lot of in-your-face attitude either. I can't recall him speaking any particularly meaningful lines. He's certainly a cool character, but I don't see him as a badass one at all. As a quick note here: I do agree 100% with Tony that not every badass has to be violent or in-your-face aggressive--and I think the "smooth badass" or the "stone cold badass" type characters are certainly a thing. But I don't think Spike is one. He's got the cool and smooth part down but nothing he's done or said has made me think "wow, this guy is a badass". For example, considering the two clips Tony posted. The first clip is Spike parroting some of the basic principles of soft-style martial arts. Anyone, even a child, who has studied even a little bit of judo, kung fu, jeet kun do, etc, would tell you the same thing that Spike explained in that scene. In the 2nd clip Spike remains calm while the shuttle crashes. That's pretty easy to do when you're not on it. Of course these things speak to Spike's attitude towards life and not just the literal events...but being laid back and letting the chips fall where they may, or being able to make an elementary-level explanation of a common martial arts principle is not inherently badass. Attitude alone is never badass in my opinion, it needs something to back it up, and that's where I think Spike comes up short. To me this is a choice between a badass-but-the-insanity-dominates character and a character who is simply ..well.. not a badass at all. If I'm forced to vote here I'm voting Revy as while she may be nuts she's at least got some impressive and standout abilities.

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket A:

A2 Balalaika (Black Lagoon) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) - As much as I love Balalaika I gotta give this to Alucard. It's the over the top swagger and attitude of his. He simply walks and talks with that mode "on" all the time. Yes he was designed to be over the top like that, but it doesn't take away from it. I think Balalaika is certainly the more flshed out and deeper character of the 2, but in a pure badass match up he beats her. Albeit much more narrowly.

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) vs. A7 Guts (Berserk) - For me this comes to effort. I think in their own ways, which are polar opposites, they are equally badass. They have an equal amount of swagger and an aura to them. The thing is Guts had to really work harder to get to that level, where as with D his inherent genetics meant he didn't have to work as hard to get to that same level. Sure he has to use his wits to defeat the various monsters and vampires, but he still starts off with the gamecheats mode on. Guts didn't and still got to this same pinnacle of badassery. So therefore he gets my vote.

Round 4 Bracket B:

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise) - This comes down to effort again, much like with Guts. Yes Vegeta was powerful, but from the first arc of DBZ he is beaten by Goku. He spends the rest of the franchise working harder than anyone to cath up to Goku. Until finally in Super he achieves super saiyan god as well. As I've mentioned before as well his calculating determination changes over time as well. His bravado turns from being bragging to more based on grit and determination. Levi has worked hard as well to get to where he is, but from the first moment of AOT he was always one of the strongest. Which may seem odd to complain about after what I said with Alucard, but there's simply no one singularly up to Alucard's level to counter him in his show. I think Vegeta has abit more swagger as well.

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs. B4 Revy (Black Lagoon) - I had to weigh a lot of the various opinions to make my ind up here. Overall the determining factor is I think is the motivation behind the determinations of both characters. Yes Revy is aptly referred to as a more psychotic badass, and I've even said among the 3 ladies from BL I think she was the weakest of the 3 in this tournament. I still think there is more to her badassery than with Spike. I think his laid back attitude holds back his swagger just enough for Revy to squeak out a win here.

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Here are the results from this last set of double brackets.

Round 4 Bracket A:

A2 Balalaika 2 (Black Lagoon) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing) 5

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) 1 vs. A7 Guts (Berserk) 6

Round 4 Bracket B:

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 4 vs. B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise) 3

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) 4 vs. B4 Revy (Black Lagoon) 3

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

A26 Moutoku Sousou (Ikki Tousen) 0 vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) 7

D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) 4 vs. C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo) 3

Minigame Points:
Calathan - 16
Tony K - 12
Beltane70 - 12
Psycho 101 - 8
Sentire - 4

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Here are the next set of brackets. Like this last week I am combining Brackets C & D this week for double the voting. We also have the Championship matches for each of the 2 Runner's Up Brackets. The winners of these will face off in the Runner's Up Final Matchup. As an FYI that matchup will be delayed until the Final matchup for the main tournament as well. I figure that way the winners for each can be decided the same week. As for now, here are the matchups.

Round 4 Bracket C:

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta)

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) vs. C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach)

Round 4 Bracket D:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin)

Runner's Up Bracket Championships

Bracket 1:

D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) vs. D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) vs. A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter)

Bracket 2:

C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) vs. D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara)
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:55 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket C:

Mikasa is skilled in combat and she's fearless taking on giant monsters far larger than her, but she doesn't have anywhere close to the attitude that Nic has. And he's no slouch when it comes time to kick ass either.

While I think Kenpachi would give Integra a run for her money in a fight I think Integra has the bigger badass aura. I mean she's got the guts to stand up to Alucard of all people. She regularly comes up against other characters with similar power levels and has no problem holding her own. I think Integra wins in the attitude an aura department and I think that's more important that Kenpachi's better combat strength.

Round 4 Bracket D:

I've mentioned in earlier brackets that I don't consider Yusuke all that badass even though YYH is from my favorite era of anime. Meanwhile Kamina is perhaps the dictionary definition of a badass anime character. If you ask me this is no contest.

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin)
I have to give this to Kenshiro. He's just legendary. He is up against some stiff competition here but his ability to kick ass and his swagger are both off the charts.

Bracket 1:

D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) vs. D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) vs. A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter)

Bracket 2:

bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket C:

This one could be a toss up for me actually...I can't say why I picked Nicolas over Mikasa, it could have easily gone either way for me...and both shouldn't last too much longer.

Difficult one, Kenpachi is great, but Integra really made me sit up and pay attention, she demanded my respect and I'd lick that womans boots...and I'm not into women...or (usually) a masochist...she's just that awesome.

Round 4 Bracket D:

I know in the 2 minutes Kamina was on screen he had a big personality, but he was robbed of a chance to really be more than one dimensional, sure he left a big impression, but Yusuke left a bigger impact on everyone around him too as he kept getting more powerful, fighting to forge stronger friendships with those on the same path, standing against injustice and evil and anyone in his way, and basically never stopped. By the end of the series he has transformed from the delinquent at the beginning to a hero by the end.

This choice sucks actually, I want to vote for them all. I simply have a soft spot for strong brooding men, and he's SO powerful! He stands up for what's good, even if it doesn't seem that he cares about that too much, and will sacrifice himself for others and what's right.

Bracket 1:

Once again, if you haven't seen Basalisk, watch it! the first disk is really over the top slaughtery, but then the story really picks up and it's still slaughtery, but you'll never doubt Gennousuke deserves this.

Bracket 2:

This isn't as easy either...could pick either and they are so different it's hard. Kakashi doesn't appear as badass as he is, and Shizuo isn't as badass as he appears.
I have to give it to Kakashi though, ninja's for the win!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket C:

Given the dire circumstances of both characters growing up, I would say they both had pretty rough upbringings. And ironically, both characters fight to protect someone dear to them who is like a brother (Mikasa protecting Eren, and Nic protecting Worick). However, I would say Mikasa's world is a little rougher due to the presence of Titans. I also feel fighting Titans all the time with nothing but pure skill and a few gadgets is more impressive than spoiler[ Nic's abilities, which he partially received from the Celebre drugs as a child from his abusive piece-o-shit father]. Then there's the fact that the sheer scope of AoT is *way* longer and more complex, which just adds to the difficulty of surviving that world, in general. So I vote Mikasa.

I would actually say Kenpachi is a lot like Alucard, in that they're both a little power-crazy and off their rockers. Kenpachi seems to not take his role as a captain quite as seriously as his hunger for battle, though, so I think that detracts from his overall value (at least from what I remember from the franchise, which I never finished, yet).

But the fact that someone like Integra (just a regular ole human) has control over someone like Alucard speaks volumes. I feel her leadership ability and unwavering attitude totally make her a viable option as a top-tier badass, especially considering her world is full of nazis, vampires, super-humans, and other crazy things.
-----------

Round 4 Bracket D:

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't finished YYH, yet (plus, it's been years since I stopped), so it's hard to assess him as a character. Kamina, however, still lingers in my mind, and I feel he did so much for that series.

Kenshiro is the grand-daddy of all macho shounen characters. He should definitely be in the finals, or at least, the semi-finals.
----------------------------------

Bracket 1:

Bracket 2:

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket C:

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) - I think both had similarly shitty upbringings as has been pointed out. Yes Mikasa's world is more severe and much harsher, but at the same time Nicolas is more of an outcast due to his abilities and heritage. I think for me the deciding factor is swagger and attitude. Mikasa has many badass moments, where as Nicolas has a more continuous badass aura and attitude to him which factors in more to him as a person. There's that giddy anxious glee he gets in combat that I don't think Mikasa has. We have gotten to know her better, but I still think Nicolas wins this with his overall demeanor and swagger,

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) vs. C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) - I was initially going to vote for Kenpachi. He's very similar to say Kenshiro and Kamina in that if you look up badass in the dictionary his photo would be there. HIs badass aura is a fundemental aspect of his actual powers. That being said the sheer size of Integra's cojones puts her over the top. She has that same swagger and just utterly defiant attitude like Kenpachi. She has that same confidance. The difference is she does not have any actual super powers. Yet she goes toe to toe with thos that do have them, and bosses them around like she's king dick. She is Alucard's master, not simply his boss. She is the one person this great all powerful being respects and listens too. She gives 0 fucks and is always seemingly in control.

Round 4 Bracket D:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho) - See my comment above about being the dictionary epitome of a badass. He live sand breathes being a badass fighting for others and giving it his all. He simply doesn't know how NOT to do that. He also has a heart of gold where many badass characters on this level are often anti-heroes or more jaded. He's so badass the entire second half of the show is about his padawan following in his badass footsteps attitude wise.

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) - See my comments above about Kamina. Kenshiro simply walks and talks like a badass. He is what you get if animated a cross between Bruce Lee and Mad Max.

Bracket 1:

Bracket 2:

Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket C:

I still haven't seen Gangsta, and while Nicolas Brown looks like a badass, I don't think I can justify voting for him without knowing more about him. Mikasa is certainly a badass, as she doesn't hesitate to take on foes that literally tower over her.

Kanpachi never really seems to put any thought into his actions. While he acts badass, it doesn't really seem like he is brave or even confident in his abilities, as much as that he simply knows no life other than fighting. Integra on the other hand comes off as mentally powerful, able to stare down beings much stronger than herself without flinching.

Round 4 Bracket D:

Kamina just has much more of a badass attitude in my opinion. He always acts confident no matter the odds, and wills himself to victory regardless of what he is up against.

Kenshiro is still the character I most think of when I think of badass anime characters. His combination of power, skill, confidence, and determination simply tops what the other characters have.

Bracket 1:

I still haven't seen Basilisk, so I only considered the other two characters. Netero has Jiraiya beat in my opinion both in his relative power compared to characters in his franchise, an in his confident attitude.

Bracket 2:

I'm giving my vote to Kakashi, as while I don't feel he normally acts with a badass attitude, his abilities are pretty badass. Shizuo never really impressed me that much, at least in the part of Durarara I've watched.
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Round 4 Bracket C:

I don't know, I think Nicolas' quiet demeanor actually adds to bad-assness.

Oh man, this is my least favorite decision I have had to make so far. I know that Kenpachi is going to lose this one, but the first anime character I thought of when this tournament topic came up, was Kenpachi. Integra definitely is as bad-ass as they come, but I am going with my gut on this one, albeit, not the popular decision.

Round 4 Bracket D:

I love Kamina - grit, determination... positivity.

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) This was a little bit of an easier pick for me. Kenshiro is more of a blatant bad-ass to me, inside and outside - just general overall demeanor.

Bracket 1:

Bracket 2:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21