• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Biggest Badass Forum Tournament

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll give Beltane and Sentire a few more hours to get votes in.
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Bracket C:

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C27 Fisher Tiger (One Piece)
I don't know if this is the popular vote, but to me, his aura is much more badass.

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) vs. C26 Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate franchise)
I am glad Integra has made it this far. Hoping she'll move on.

C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell)
Kenpachi = BADASS

C10 Jin (Samurai Champloo) vs. C18 Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) vs. C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) As much as I love Jin and Homura, Nicolas has the edge - even with his quietness.

Runner's Up bracket 2C:

A26 Moutoku Sousou (Ikki Tousen) vs. A23 Bang (One Punch Man)

C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) vs. C34 Juzo Inui (No Guns Life)

C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo)
vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown (Overlord)

D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) vs. B25 Jean Jacquemonde (Spriggan)
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll have my brackets up within the next hour! I would have had it done earlier this morning after I got home from work, but fell asleep by accident.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Bracket C:

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. C27 Fisher Tiger (One Piece)
Having not seen One Piece past the episodes from the 4Kids dub on TV, I never got to see Fisher Tiger, so I have nothing to go by. But I have seen all of AoT, so Mikasa wins here by default. Besides, I'd love to see this potentially wind up as an Ackerman vs Ackerman contest!

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) vs. C26 Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate franchise)
I'm not familiar with either character, so I'll go with Integra since she is unopposed in this bracket.

C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell)
Voting for Kenpachi. While I think Batou is pretty badass, he does play second fiddle to "Major". Kenpachi on the other hand, is the captain of his division, which to me makes him the clear winner.

C10 Jin (Samurai Champloo) vs. C18 Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) vs. C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta)
Voting for Jin since he's the only one in this three-way that I'm familiar with.

Runner's Up bracket 2C:

A26 Moutoku Sousou (Ikki Tousen) vs. A23 Bang (One Punch Man)

C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) vs. C34 Juzo Inui (No Guns Life)

C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo) vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown (Overlord)

D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara)
vs. B25 Jean Jacquemonde (Spriggan)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Here is the next set of brackets. Things will be thinning out a lot after this one for the main tournament.

Round 3 Bracket D:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D28 Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D24 Zoro (One Piece)

D5 Teresa (Claymore) vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho)

D10 Mugen (Samurai Champloo) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin)

D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D17 Nanashi (Sword of the Stranger)

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

A31 Busujima (Psycho Driver) vs. D2 Jiraiya (Naruto)

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) vs. B29 Gon Freaks (Hunter X Hunter)

B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave) vs. A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Bracket D:

I haven't seen Gurren Lagann in years, and I've only seen it once. But Kamina's infectious personality and parting words still linger on me to this day. For a side character with such a short amount of screen time, I find it amazing he made such a huge impact that rippled through the rest of the series.

Young Joseph is quite the badass during Part 2, but the goofiness of old Joseph in Parts 3 and 4 detract from that, a bit.
----------

Probably won't get to watching/reading OP anytime soon, but I feel Kenshiro is the original archetype for so many shounen characters, I can't help but give him the edge over any other character he matches up with.
----------

Teresa, much like Kamina, spoiler[ is short-lived, but crucial to the main character's development of that respective franchise]. From what little I've seen of YYH, though, I would give Yusuke the edge because he (seemingly) overcomes so much more in comparison.
----------

Two total opposite ends of the spectrum: Mugen, a guy who gives zero f**ks and does what he wants when he feels like it; and Saito, who also doesn't give a f**k, but sticks to a very strict code. You could argue Mugen's "go-with-the-flow" attitude would raise his survivability, but then it could also be his downfall, because he doesn't think. Meanwhile, Saito's cold and calculating belief in something could definitely be seen as an advantage, but then you could argue maybe he's a little too strict.

The thing with Saito, though, is that while his Shinsengumi days could be seen as being fascist, during the Kyoto arc he makes it clear that all he wants isorder and justice, and he'll eliminate anything that upsets that worldview. And because of his very devoted belief, and the fact that he thinks, I feel that gives him a superior advantage, both, from a personality and combat perspective.

Mugen and Jin are like two sides of a coin, so they kinda' cancel each other out. Saito is like the bigger double-sided coin that trumps them both.
----------

Way more character depth to Roberta. Nanashi is like the strong, silent cowboy type, but beyond his physical capability, there's just not enough backstory to illustrate what actually drives him, unlike Roberta. So I give her the big advantage in that department.
----------

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

----------

Again, the fact they had to purposely handicap Gennosuke to keep his power disabled, then have him still last as long as he did says a lot about the strength of his character. Gon runs on that pure, wide-eyed optimism, which is inspiring in its own right, but lacks the swag this tourney is all about.
----------

B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave) vs. A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter)

It's really difficult to put into words just how much Chairman Netero sacrifices in the Chimera Ant arc. All I can say is that Hunter X Hunter is one of my #3 favorite shounen series for a reason. If you you haven't seen or read it, at least get through that arc, and you'll understand why Netero is a humongous badass, not just for his abilities, but for the thought put into that fight.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Bracket D:

Picking Kamina for this one. Anyone that can keep up their attitude even when knocking on death's door gets the vote in my book!

While Zoro is no slouch in a fight, Kenshiro can make people explode just by hitting them in the right spot.Can't get any more badass than that!

Going with who I'm more familiar with in this one.

Going with the same justification as I did in an earlier round, I'm voting for Saito not only because his character in Rurouni Kenshin badass, but also because he was a real-life historical figure.

Voting for Roberta based on what others have said about her in previous rounds.

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

AkumaChef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Bracket D:

Kamina's in-your-face swagger is both more intense and more consistent than JoJo's.

Zoro can hold his own in a fight for sure, but Kenshiro is a legend, as his his catchphrase. I honestly can't remember what Zoro looks like, only that he fights with 3 swords.

As I have mentioned a few times now Yusuke didn't strike me as particularly memorable or badass whereas Teresa certainly did, so I'm giving her the vote. That said I'm honestly surprised either of these characters are hanging in as long as they are!

Mugen is a great character and he's certainly got that I-dont-give-a-F attitude down. His character design is great too. But Saito has all that too, he's just the strong silent type rather than the brash in-your-face type like Mugen. I think that's the more impressive attitude of the two because it requires discipline. And I also think that Saito wins when it comes to combat skills too. Mugen is competent for sure but he's not at Saito's level.

Honestly this could have been a coin toss for me at first, but I must say I agree with Tony and Roberta has a lot more backstory than Nanashi does.

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Round 3 Bracket D:

Joseph is definitely a badass, but I think Kamina's over-the-top attitude makes him more of one.

Kenshiro is basically the definition of a badass. He is the first character that comes to mind when I think of an anime badass. He is basically the archetype that I use to judge whether other characters are badass, which means almost no one can match up to him. Zoro is certainly no slouch when it comes to being a badass, but Kenshiro still has him beat.

I've not seen Claymore, and while Teresa seems pretty badass to me, I don't want to vote for her over a reasonably-badass character I'm familiar with.

These two characters are about evenly matched in my mind, despite being very different in terms of personality. Mugen certainly has a badass fighting style and a confident attitude, but I think Saito gets my vote just for seeming to have a little more determination.

While Nanashi is exceptionally skilled, Roberta is not only skilled but also seems like the more intimidating opponent, at least when she is angry.

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

I don't remember Psycho Diver well, and Jiraiya is enough of a badass to get my vote.

I've not seen Basilisk, and Gon is pretty badass, so he gets my vote.

Brandon Heat is definitely a badass, but I think Netero is more so. His combination of power, confidence, and determination wins him my vote.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Pardon the delay Sentire and I are having lots of internet troubles with losing connection. Happened all weekend and today as well which sucks as she telecommutes. We're having a technician come out tomorrow morning. I should be able to get the next brackets up then assuming they fix the issue. My apologies, it seems like bad luck is hanging over me and keeps causing issues.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Don't see this closed so I'm submitting votes now, hope it isn't too late
Round 3 Bracket D:

It's just too hard to vote for a guy who really didn't have much time himself in the show when up against a Joestar.

This is because I've not seen OP and Kenshiro can't NOT be badass. There is noone who can stand up to his Fist of The North Star! Ai Ai Ai Ai Ai!!!

This one was a difficult choice, but Yusuke keeps growing and acquiring new skills and such as he grows always doing what he can for those around him even though his friends are pretty BA in their own right.

This one felt easy for me, IDK, I just didn't feel like Mugen gave much as a character, where Saito really did.

Roberta was trained from a young age to be a terrorist, she's basically unbeatable in a fight, and when she has her sights set on something, nothing gets in the way. Plus her in a maid outfit...

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

love them both, Jiraiya just has the edge it what is a weird match up.

I still don't understand why He didn't win this all, let alone the runner's up contest...must be because not enough people have seen Basalisk

He was just too awesome and has been seemingly forever.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Finally got the connection to last long enough to post this without throwing my computer across the room or out a window.

Round 3 Bracket D:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) vs. D28 Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) - Kamina just is the epitome of badass and swagger. I think he simply out does Joseph in all categories.

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) vs. D24 Zoro (One Piece) - Same argument as with Kamina. Just one character doing everything the other does, only bigger and better.

D5 Teresa (Claymore) vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho) - As much as I love Teresa I think Yusuke outclasses her. I think his cocky attitude, never give up attitude, tons of guts, and swagger push him into the lead here. They both walk the walk and talk the talk, he just does it with more swagger and gumption.

D10 Mugen (Samurai Champloo) vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) - This was close to me. They are both pretty equal on the badass scale for me, albeit in different ways. Mugen being more boisterous and wild, while Saito is calm and calculating. I think that more in your face swagger though is what gets Mugen my vote this round.

D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) vs. D17 Nanashi (Sword of the Stranger) - As badass as Nanashi is he can't compete with the crazy over the top relentless badass that is Roberta.

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

Sentire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Round 3 Bracket D:

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I just realized I never posted the results from the last set of matchups. So I will post both those, and the current ones. I will edit in the mini game scores for both rounds here, and the complete updated mini scores on page 1.

Round 3 Bracket C:

C4 Mikasa Ackerman (Attack on Titan) 4 vs. C27 Fisher Tiger (One Piece) 3

C5 Integra Hellsing (Hellsing) 7 vs. C26 Kiritsugu Emiya (Fate franchise) 0

C7 Kenpachi Zaraki (Bleach) 6 vs. C24 Batou (Ghost in the Shell) 1

C10 Jin (Samurai Champloo) 2 vs. C18 Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) 0 vs. C15 Nicolas Brown (Gangsta) 5

Runner's Up bracket 2C:

A26 Moutoku Sousou (Ikki Tousen) 4 vs. A23 Bang (One Punch Man) 3

C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto) 5 vs. C34 Juzo Inui (No Guns Life) 2

C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo) 4 vs. A24 Ains Ooal Gown (Overlord) 3

D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) 6 vs. B25 Jean Jacquemonde (Spriggan) 1

Round 3 Bracket D:

D1 Kamina (Gurren Lagann) 6 vs. D28 Joseph Joestar (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure) 1

D4 Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star) 7 vs. D24 Zoro (One Piece) 0

D5 Teresa (Claymore) 1 vs. D22 Yusuke Urameshi (Yu Yu Hakusho) 6

D10 Mugen (Samurai Champloo) 1 vs. D20 Saito Hajime (Rurouni Kenshin) 6

D12 Roberta (Black Lagoon) 7 vs. D17 Nanashi (Sword of the Stranger) 0

Runner's Up Bracket 1D:

A31 Busujima (Psycho Driver) 0 vs. D2 Jiraiya (Naruto) 7

D7 Gennousuke Kouga (Basalisk) 5 vs. B29 Gon Freaks (Hunter X Hunter) 2

B32 Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave (Gungrave) 2 vs. A22 Isaac Netero (Hunter x Hunter) 5

Edit: So the cool thing is the mini game scores between the last 2 rounds were almost identical. Almost everyone missed the exact same amount, albeit with different picks. The only difference is I got 1 less correct this past round. Oh well.

Beltane70 - 9 - 15
Psycho 101 - 9 - 12
Calathan - 9 - 15
Tony K - 9 - 15
Sentire - 9 - 15

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate people's patience. Between car shopping, house shopping, doctor apts, and internet issues I think my blood pressure is a bit high. To make up for the lateness the last few weeks I have the next 2 set of brackets ready to go. We'll start combining things frm this point on out as we're getting down towards the end.

Round 4 Bracket A & Bracket B

Round 4 Bracket A:

A2 Balalaika (Black Lagoon) vs. A11 Alucard (Hellsing)

A3 "D" (Vampire Hunter D) vs. A7 Guts (Berserk)

Round 4 Bracket B:

B1 Levi Ackerman (Attack on Titan) vs. B10 Vegeta (Dragonball franchise)

B3 Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs. B4 Revy (Black Lagoon)

Runner's Up bracket 2D:

A26 Moutoku Sousou (Ikki Tousen) vs. C19 Kakashi Hatake (Naruto)

D26 Shizuo Heiwajima (Durararara) vs. C23 Mamoru Takamura (Hajime no Ippo)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 21