• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Finished Deca-Dence and it's officially in my Top 10 Anime and hands down the best thing that aired in 2020 IMO. It was a blast from start to finish and now I have that void feeling after watching a great show.
愛Tenshi愛

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I am watching Nanbaka! My friends recommended it to me so I watched it and slowly fell in love with it. The art style is fabulous, the story line is hilarious and they break the fourth wall often. I recommend Nanbaka!

[EDIT: Please do not link to illegal download or streaming sites, as per the rule. Thank you. -TK]
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that I'm actually about to type this but I watched the entirety of Demon Lord, Retry!. I'm not a fan of isekai, but I gave this one a shot because Kenjiro Tsuda voices the MC.

I... found the show strangely enjoyable despite the the large amount of cringe. For one, most of the names are absolutely ridiculous. There's a town called Yahoo and there are characters named: Shrimpfly Butterfly (plus a younger sister named Oysterfry), Marshall Arts, Mount Fuji, Commando Sambo, and Angel White. This list is just some of the names. The show doesn't take itself seriously at all and the MC frequently wonders why the names are so weird.

However, the most cringey thing about the show is a character named Yukikaze who I'm hesitant to call a trans woman because that would just be insulting to trans people. This character uttered dialogue that I'm assuming would be more at home in a hentai. I thought about giving a few examples, but that would just be cruel.

What kept me watching? The MC Hakuto. Though a few of the other characters grew on me. If it ever got a second season... I'd actually watch it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
I can't believe that this is the year 2021 and I am watching an anime like Ex-ARM, god I am not going to create a lone topic. I don't know if it was a case of me not noticing in the first episode, but the second episode had several moments that just left me going "oh my god!", it is amazing.

There are some okay uses of the CG characters, like a machine can be okay, where you might even want something to look a bit unnatural. But the biggest problem with the second episode I noticed was its complete failure at facial animation, no one's face changes, which means you have some girl talking about a terrorist attack with a big grin on her face, it is amazing that this got through.

But worse than the uses of cg animation are actually the 2D animation, some of the characters are actually done in 2D, and generally in just static character designs that are exactly the complain people have of the idea of anime. Or, it had a 2D character move and there was practically no in-between animation. Laughing It even tries to create some movement or something in the scene zooming in on the characters, where you can see the pixels from upscaling the 2D image.

It is a marvel when you have thoughts to things like Knights of Sidonia and BBK/BRNK.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm normally pretty forgiving when it comes to anime, but the quality of the animation of Ex-ARM was so bad that even I dropped the series after the very first episode. I'm totally baffled on how the staff of this animated abomination would let their names even be credited on this, let alone even allow it to be released. The whole thing looked like it was animated by people who just learned the basics of animation without getting practical experience.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
This is a weird season. We've got Skate Leading Stars (ice skating), Sk8 the Infinity (skate boarding) and Wave (surf boarding). Even the current ED for Boruto has the team skateboarding and in-line skating. We've got volleyball, making 4 sports anime in one season (5, if you count competitive cooking as a sport). We've got two Cells at Work series. We've got reincarnated as Spiders and Slime, and pervy babies (echoing last season's adult reincarnated as a child, who wrangles slimes). We've got two shows with Dr. in the title. We've got more idol shows than I can count. It's weird to see so many series in the same season with sort of parallel ideas. Smile

Skate Leading isn't too bad, but after only 3 episodes, I can already see them frantically cutting corners on the animation, with extended shots (yes, more than one) of the arena's ceiling air conditioning ducts while they're practicing, or random cars in the driveway, or exteriors of the building, or closeups of costumes or not-talking faces - anything to avoid showing movement. This week the main skating gig was reduced to colored lines drawn out against a black background to show their paths. This is troubling... Especially compared to the fantastic animation of Sk8.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
There’s six sports anime this season if you count Uma Musume Pretty Derby season 2!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
We've also got two rank wars going on, in World Trigger and Jujutsu Kaisen. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
We've also got two rank wars going on, in World Trigger and Jujutsu Kaisen. Smile

Correction! We have one show that is actually holding a rank war (JJK) and another where they occasionally mention a rank war while spoiler[dragging out a battle that doesn't even have our main characters in it, grrr, grrr. Maybe this stupid battle will wrap up next time and we'll finally get to see our main characters again???

Actually, the battle isn't stupid, I just would have liked to have seen the main cast for a bit before launching into it.]
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I am watching Re-Zero. I actually watched most of the first season while it was airing but didn’t finish, so I started over (from zero, hahah get it?) a couple weeks ago and now I’m finally into season 2.
Overall I really like this series. I forgot just how brutal some of the “bad ends” are, they still packed a punch the 2nd time around. Also very nice character designs and it’s just a good looking show overall. Hoping to get caught up with current episodes soon.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
There’s six sports anime this season if you count Uma Musume Pretty Derby season 2!

I find this rather amazing. I mean it wasn't that long ago when Sport's anime was basically a black hole of nothing. You didn't make a sports anime because 99% just got no word of mouth and were ignored. Now a days we're seeing anime being made for all sorts of outlier sports. Including some made up ones. Focusing more on the shows on actual sports I find it interesting how we have shows like Run With the Wind, Harukuna Receive, Yuri on Ice, Wave, and Sport Climbing Girls to name a few. Back in the 90's and early 00's I would wager most of these would not have gained much traction.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
There are several idol/band anime this season: Gekidol, I★CHU, Show By Rock!! Stars!!, Wixoss Diva(A)Live, Idoly Pride and D4DJ (a show from last season that I think is finishing soon). The arguments are also open for Uma Musume for elements and maybe Skate-Leading Stars.

Also the ed for So I'm a Spider.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
There are several idol/band anime this season: Gekidol, I★CHU, Show By Rock!! Stars!!, Wixoss Diva(A)Live, Idoly Pride and D4DJ (a show from last season that I think is finishing soon). The arguments are also open for Uma Musume for elements and maybe Skate-Leading Stars.

That's why I said too many idol shows (for me) to count. But Skate Leading Stars is definitely not an idol show. There's been next to no performances of any kind, and costuming aside, it's still more sport drama oriented than fan focused, which is always the core theme of idol shows, i.e., we'll become successful to make our fans happy! rather than winning at nationals.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:33 am Reply with quote
D4DJ First Mix has finished with its 13th episode. I get the feeling that it has been a bit missed because it started late and ended late, when the next cour is already doing its 4th episodes. Being primarily CG probably does not help either with turning people away.

But I actually liked it, the CG looks all the nicer when you are comparing it to what EX-ARM anime has been putting out. Maybe because it doesn't really need that much action, but I think that it managed to be pretty expressive with its CG characters. I put that onto its studio, SANZIGEN Animation Studio, which also did animation production for Black Rock Shooter, BBK/BRNK, and the sequel seasons of BanG Dream. They have worked well with being expressive with CG models. Although, I also did not really super warm up to the sequel seasons of BanG Dream, I think it drifted a bit from its first premise and lost some focus with all of its other characters. But I would say that D4DJ had a rather tight with its main cast, while sprinkling in some of the other groups.

I thought that the music were some bops, taking more DJ inspirations over general other anime shows, it made itself high energy and a bit more tude. Especially towards the end of the series where it experimented a bit with having some rap in it, makes me think a bit of Off the Hook, which is my closest knowledge to a kind of Japanese pop DJ with a touch of rap. The show itself went into things like techniques of blending songs and stuff, so it was interesting. Also, I laugh how it can do things like having an airhorn sound effect without a hint of irony.

It did not really blow me away, but dang if something like WOW WAR TONIGHT did not go from something I thought that was annoying in its repetition to something I ended up enjoying to listen to as we get a little anime girl just enjoying the beats. My rating is Good (7/10), it is worth seeing, as long as you are the kind that can put up with the rarely jarring animation (although it is fluid it can sometimes look blocky) and listen to some tunes.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching World Trigger. When this show aired I feel like the general vibe I got from the anime community was that World Trigger's a relatively meh shounen action show. So I just kinda ignored the show back when it aired. But for some reason I just decided to give it a shot and I've actually been enjoying it. Its got that good ol' shounen action stuff: cool moves, cool fights and cool characters. It'll make you want to jump straight into the next episode during intense story arcs to see what happens next. It also has a character voiced by Rie Kugimiya, bonus points for that. It's always a delight when Konami is on screen, though her "getting fooled by Karasuma" schtick is kinda hit-or-miss. I don't hear Rie's voice in anime all that much these days so it's always fun when I run into her voice when I least expect it.

The show has a couple issues though. At least early on I felt like the pacing was sort of artificially slowed down. Not by putting in filler content but by literally having like really slow panning shots or having oddly, oddly long pauses between lines of dialogue. Also every episode starts off with at least like 2 minutes of recap, often like the first 4 minutes are recap which is mildly annoying but I can just skip the recap so it's not that much of a problem. I think it would have been more frustrating if I was following this show weekly. A mild gripe I have is that the chibified characters always have a weird duckface on which I'm not a fan of. The opening is usually placed like in the middle of the episode which is weird. Since I'm binge-watching the show I might want to skip the opening, but it's kinda too inconvenient to skip when it's placed in the middle of the episode. Thankfully the first 2 openings have been good so I haven't had to suffer through unlistenable openings yet.

All in all: cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1037 of 1066