• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dub Voice Actor Vic Mignogna Issues Statement: 'Taking Time to Recommit to God, Seeking He

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Phraze wrote:
No thoughts on the latest allegation, with proofs? Looks damning to me.

Wait did a new thing just happen?
Phraze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Phraze wrote:

Which one do you mean? There has been a lot.

Michelle. He's placed in the same location. Journal, family, and the man who stormed off can be searched out.

Scion Drake wrote:
Phraze wrote:

Wait did a new thing just happen?

More like an old thing. It's strange how underrated it is compared to the other claims, and it's less ambiguous too.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
You mean this?
https://twitter.com/MichellMcC73/status/1094729436879048704

And, of course, most of the comments are "nuh uh that didn't happen".
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Free Con-Munnity Fest admission if you show support for Vic

https://twitter.com/ConMunnityFest/status/1094670323348373504

8O

You gotta be kidding me

When you are a small-time convention in Texas that could literally feel your attendees in your average Cracker Barrel store, I suppose you have nothing to lose.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed references to now deleted posts -Maya

I think the better question here is - does evidence even matter now that Vic's fans have attempted to prove his innocence by engaging in domestic terrorism?
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
I think the better question here is - does evidence even matter now that Vic's fans have attempted to prove his innocence by engaging in domestic terrorism?

Are you serious?
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Ashabel wrote:
No, what I honestly think is that Funimation is not going to be magically made bankrupt because they stopped employing one single sexual predator. In fact, the idea that Vic alone has been propping up Funimation's earnings to such a substantial degree is one of the dumbest things I ever heard.

No one is arguing that Funi is going to go bankrupt by not employing Vic. What I, and others, have said in this thread is that the man makes dubbing companies a lot of money. He makes conventions significant chunks of change. He brings in attendees and despite what has happened, he will still bring them in.

Uh, no. Titles are what bring in money for dubbing companies, not the voice actors. In the last 2 years (2017-2018) Vic has only done 5 dubs, only 4 for Funi. Given how many titles have been released in that period, it sure doesn't look like he contributed much at all to the success of the company. But then again, saying that Vic makes dubbing companies a lot of money is like saying Peter Dinklage makes Game of Thrones popular. His parts have been put more to the background and the series is as strong as ever. Vic only did 4 dubs for Funi in the last 2 years, and they are still going as strong as ever.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Free Con-Munnity Fest admission if you show support for Vic

https://twitter.com/ConMunnityFest/status/1094670323348373504

Shocked

This is a, erm, less than sound business tactic. o.O Even if we ignore Vic ENTIRELY, you still have the fact that Dragon Ball Super Broly was a HUGE hit in 2019, no matter what language you watched it in, and Dragon Ball as a whole is sitting in a rather nice golden age of it's own, so Broly is gonna be a VERY popular 2019 cosplay. I'm sure there will be LOTS of Chinese suppliers spitting out bootleg Broly cosplay kits for $30 each and such. So offering free admission to Vic characters, which would include Broly, would lose you a not insignificant amount of revenue. Especially when you factor in just how many con attendees fall under the 'Broke teen/college students, who will do anything to get something for free' demographic. o.O

(I got some stories about the 'Free Hamburger Day' that landed on the Sunday of Anime North for several years at the burger joint RIGHT between the main hotel facility AND the main convention hall facility for the con...)

It makes about as much sense as 'Free entry for any Attack On Titan cosplay!' in 2013. o.O
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
Ashabel wrote:

Are you serious?

Well in threatening cons and such, uh, yeah, they are serious. All it takes is one of those crowd who are delusional and stuff to walk into a con with a bunch of guns... Of course it would be written off as a "mass shooting" as usual, but they have their fundamental belief behind them and doing it for their cause so it is terrorism.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
Ashabel wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Uh, that was the first .story. And maybe you should submit your evidence to Funimation and Rooster Teeth then, both of which have already done their own thorough investigations. That is, if you honestly believe in your "evidence "...

Are you serious?

Yes, I am. Sending a convention demands to remove Monica Rial or else legally falls under the definition of terrorism, since it involves the use of fear and threat to achieve a goal.

Pensacon's convention staff aren't toddlers; they aren't going to bring up authorities just to win an internet slapfight. If they're saying that they have authorities on stand-by and that openly supporting Vic runs the risk of you getting arrested, then all likelihood is that they forwarded those emails to the police, who in turn decided that the content is threatening enough to issue an "arrest on sight" order for anyone who matches the traits of those who would send those emails. In this case, the common denominator is being a Vic fan.

Just to be sure, do consider what kind of nonsense had to be sent to Pensacon staff for the authorities to react that way.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The person who originated the performance was Romi Park, and the person who wrote the character was Hiromu Arakawa. He doesn’t deserve credit for making the show a success.
This would be Vic's most famous role, but given topic and the backlash from a certain section... Female seiyuu... Female creator... I'm noticing a heavy dose of irony here Wink
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed some quoting and one somewhat inflammatory comment

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:
Ashabel wrote:

Are you serious?

Well in threatening cons and such, uh, yeah, they are serious. All it takes is one of those crowd who are delusional and stuff to walk into a con with a bunch of guns... Of course it would be written off as a "mass shooting" as usual, but they have their fundamental belief behind them and doing it for their cause so it is terrorism.

They've already went after one con that's having Monica Rial. I seriously believe that someone's going to attempt something..so to everyone attending a con, be careful for real.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - Removed some over quoting

GoddyNee wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:

They've already went after one con that's having Monica Rial. I seriously believe that someone's going to attempt something..so to everyone attending a con, be careful for real.
Yup, exactly. The authorities have already been notified and con goers put on notice, so effectively the threat is real.

I'll just chuck this on the pile of "Why I'm glad I live in Australian and not the US"...
Sailor Maria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I think in an effort do lessen Vic you're throwing all voice actors under the bus and saying they don't really contribute something that matters to anime. I don't know how accurate that really is considering how much dubbed anime is sold and the fan reaction voice actors tend to get. A lot of people who buy anime seem to have convinced themselves that VA are a major thing. You may be deep on the fringes with that line of though.

The anime community of all communities should know how important voice-actors are Laughing It totally does seem like people are just throwing the entire acting profession under the bus just to stick it to Vic. There's plenty of other ways you can try to discredit the guy. Say his fanbase is small, or they don't matter, but to say actors don't draw in people to shows or movies is totally crazy. I'm someone who prefers FMA subbed, but I can't tell you the amount of time I heard people say FMA is one of those dubs that is "objectively better" than the sub along with Dragonball Z. Those two shows were always at the top of the dub VS sub wars for the dub side of the argument. I've been subjected to way too much elitism and condescending attitudes from FMA dub fans for people to suddenly turn around and be dismissive of Vic just because they don't like him now.

I haven't been to the convention in almost a decade, so I don't know how much drew Vic still has compared to the around 2010, but it would be interesting to see if the few conventions he's still going have bigger turnouts for his panels if those are the only times you can see him now.
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The idea that English voice actors like Vic "make a lot of money" for a licensing company like Funimation is, IMO, demonstrably false. Funimation might capitalize on someone like Vic's relentless self-promotion over the years, but the concept that people loved Fullmetal Alchemist as a result of Vic Mignogna dubbing over Romi Park's performance, and that somehow is what made the show a financial success, has no basis in reality.

The credit for Fullmetal Alchemist's success goes entirely to Hiromu Arakawa and, in 2003, partially to Shou Aikawa and the people who made that show at Studio Bones.

People respond to storytelling, to character writing, to plot structure and narrative. They respond to strong writing, the creatives that actually made the show in the first place, not the folks who localized it for another language. That's not to say English dub actors contribute nothing - their performances are often deeply felt, and can in some cases elevate the material.

But crediting Vic with the financial success of the one franchise he headlined for the English localization - and then turned into a minor cottage industry promoting himself - is nonsense.

Zac wrote:

Gilbert would’ve totally killed it as Ed.

The person who originated the performance was Romi Park, and the person who wrote the character was Hiromu Arakawa. He doesn’t deserve credit for making the show a success.

I am almost certainly going to face consequences for this but I accept them.

I was there in 2004. You are letting your hate for Vic Mignogna blind you to how much of an effect the dub for the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime had on the culture back then. On everyone who loved anime. On Adult Swim. Even The O.C., considered a bellwether for American popular culture, referenced Fullmetal Alchemist. The anime was a bona-fide hit, a revolutionary one, one of the few dubs and shows that can be considered comparable to Cowboy Bebop in the quality and influence it had.

Vic Mignogna is iconic as Edward Elric for those of us who were there. We didn't watch fansubs, the manga was barely out. We were there, watching the show one episode at a time every Saturday night on Adult Swim, sitting through "Ready Steady Go" every single time, and sat through the three-month break waiting for new episodes and then came back to finish the second half of the show (which only changed the opening near the end to "Rewrite").

The ratings for FMA were astronomical, unheard of for an anime airing on late night. Better than Cowboy Bebop before, better than Bleach after. Nothing beat FMA until Adult Swim literally brought the Toonami branding back from the grave and slapped it onto its anime programming. It was that resonant.

For the hundreds of thousands of us who watched every Saturday night, Vic is Edward Elric. For whatever divergences he had from Romi Park (some of which were unavoidable as Vic is male and Romi is female), whatever it is he did, whatever it was that Mike McFarland told him to do, it worked. It turned Vic into an icon unlike few voice actors before or since who have exclusively dubbed anime, whether he deserved it or not.

I am not a fool. I've heard the whispers for years about his behavior at cons and in the booth. Everything being out in the open and more or less confirmed is disappointing to me, but not a surprise. I sincerely hope he is truly getting help, as a Christian I hope he means it when he says he's re-committing to God, and I blame no one for never doing business with him again. I sure wouldn't.

But don't downplay what he and the rest of the FMA 2003 dubbers did. FUNimation had some good dubs before, but they had never made a great one, one that had the right amount of localization and faithfulness with pitch-perfect voice direction, one that can stand beside Bebop as one of the greatest English dubs in history. Fullmetal Alchemist was that dub, it was the one that truly showed the industry that FUNimation was for real and not just the DBZ company.

The dub is legendary, and was a massive factor in increasing the popularity and success of English dubbing, as well as the acceptance of the practice in the wider anime circles. It also solidified Fullmetal Alchemist as a perfect gateway anime for any and all anime fans.

You can hate Vic all you want, that's perfectly fine with me. You've probably heard even more about his behavior than I have. But trashing the historical and cultural significance of the FMA dub is beyond the pale and wholly inaccurate.

I've said my piece. Enjoy your weekend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 23