• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Will Netflix Producing Anime Change the Industry?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Salaryman Rintarō wrote:

Average American TV-show has tons more sex than average anime. There will be big increase in that department.

Yeah, that’s the thing. When Netflix makes original animation, we get Castlevania where Trevor drops so many F-bombs I was pretty sure that was his subweapon instead of the cross boomerang. If anything there’s gonna be more boobs, more violence, and more foul language because that’s the popular image of anime. It’s “adult”.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
This is going to be great, until they do what usually happens in situations like this and eventually throw out everything that made anime popular in the first place to "appeal to a wider audience".

Netflix already learned their lesson (Don't fix what ain't broken) with Glitter Force, they censored it and the series bombed, so I doubt they are going to change a winning formula like Coke did in the 80s

Quote:
The US side of the anime business today is virtually unrecognizable from five years ago

Toto we're not in kansas anymore.

Quote:
We are so far off the beaten path, I don't even know where the path is anymore.

Follow the yellow (gold) brick road. Money will dictate the way, if it ain't profitable you can bet it will not be done.

Quote:
This means that they will be put up a season at a time, exclusively on Netflix, worldwide -- even in Japan.

I think this is unlikely (unless Netflix is the only production committee member) because japanese have a hard time changing their modus operandi.

Quote:
Netflix never releases their viewership numbers to anybody

The original production committe *is* somebody and no doubt they need those numbers to know how much to ask for the oveseas disc licensee deal of netflix "originals" like The Seven Deadly Sins.

Quote:
it's suggested that Netflix plans on bypassing the production committees entirely.

Quite unlikely. Let's not forget that said committees are not only about money. Netflix will be unable to get japanese singers and musicians for the op/ed sequences (and maybe even for the OST) which means they will need to hire american (which means they might have to work with a small talent pool like the dubbing talent pool).

Also, forget about any franchises owned by the big publishers, that includes anything that has had one anime season. That leaves Netflix with truly original (reads as "untested") series and/or old series that might still appeal to the current generation (like Bastard!! or Hayao's Miyazaki Nausicaa).

Also, I would not be surprised if there is already a memo telling all writers (manga, light novel and even visual novel) that anyone selling their rights to netflix will cease to be published. Maybe it will happen as a knee jerk reaction, but another thing that characterizes japan is making a common front (some people call it "stonewalling") against a perceived threat and netflix trying to remove the so called "middlemen" would no doubt reduce the money japan receives as a whole.

Quote:
Amazon recently fired most of the executives in charge of content for their Amazon Prime

Which means as soon as hidive contract expires they will be left out in the cold, whether amazon continues AS or melds it into prime will not change the fact that they are no longer expending huge sums without some kind of guarantee of reimbursement.

The stated goal was to involve Funimation [is] to make one big, vertically integrated worldwide anime company.

I think that is a long term goal, the real goal is to start distrubuting funi's titles worldwide, that is a low hanging fruit that will deliver more income in the short term. So companies like animelab in australia should start thinking from where are they going to get future anime licenses.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Netflix already learned their lesson (Don't fix what ain't broken) with Glitter Force, they censored it and the series bombed, so I doubt they are going to change a winning formula like Coke did in the 80s

Did Netflix have anything to do with that? Wasn't that a Saban product?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Did Netflix have anything to do with that? Wasn't that a Saban product?

Yep, Saban dubbed/distributed, and Netflix bought, because there wasn't anywhere else for syndicated kiddy-TV to go. Don't think we'll be hearing much more from Saban after that.

(And you do know that New Coke is still around, only now as the flavor of Diet Coke? Which is why Coke Zero had to be created.)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Who knows what will happen. There are some truths to both sides.
Personally, I don't think there is a market in the United States for anime targeted at mainstream audiences.

Non Disney animated works (excluding American cartoons) simply do not thrive. Certainly, some anime targeted to the proper American age brackets could do well as cartoons, and some currently are, but that is not what we are really talking about here.

I think only time will tell. Though I do believe, that the Japanese will still make their own anime, targeted to their own audiences. Which is good news for us fans who want Japanese anime, and not westernized anime.

For those who think the Japanese cannot sustain such levels of production. I think the Japanese being Japanese, will simply farm out most of the grunt work overseas for American co-productions, while retaining most of their staff for simply Japanese productions.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The problem with Netflix trying to make anime is that they most likely have zero idea why people like anime. They will get rid of the fanservice to make the feminists happy and they will get rid of the violence to make it safe for the kids. There is a very good chance Netflix will make watered down stuff that kind of looks like anime but that is basically no different than Ben 10 or Sofia the First.

...And this is bad, how?

Like, I get the point you're trying to make, but your examples aren't really all that good. I wasn't in a particular hurry to get rid of fan service in anime, but not so much to preserve it, either, and it's precisely because of a multitude of social concerns--feminist and otherwise. I, for one, would not want the industry in its current state to be scaled in the way Justin is referencing; we have enough problems on this front as it is.

Complete negation of violence is just an unrealistic idea.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I would like for Netflix to first actually advertise the shows they licensed if they really want to brand it as a "Netflix Original". That'd be nice.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Here's what worries me:

Anime Industry Report 2016 Summary wrote:
The total production minutes of TV animations in 2015 were 115,533 minutes, decreasing by 3.7% (4,429 min decrease) from the previous year when it recorded its 3rd highest. This indicates present TV animation production capacity in Japan (i.e. the capacity limit of animation drawing) is around 120,000 min. at maximum.

There might not actually be enough talent to make much more anime than they're already making. Are companies willing to do what it'd take to expand that talent pool? And even if they start paying more, how fast can new animators be trained?

The answer is, yes, of course they are, if the market is lucrative enough.

To be honest, though, I don't think we ought to be concerned about the volume of anime churned out every year because of the way the industry saturates itself. It goes through these phases where-in multitudes of shows are produced in service to a trope until the appeal of that trope is effectively drained. A few years ago, it was the magic high school trope. More recently, it's been isekai. In each of these instances, you'll have one or two that may stand out for better or worse, but because of how aggressively samey these shows are, the trope all but dies in the space of maybe half a decade. Honestly, it's annoying.

I would favour the same volume of shows--or even less--year-by-year if it meant higher production values, greater variety, and, most importantly, deadlines and wages that didn't practically [expletive] kill people outside of Kyoto Animation.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Small scale committes are vulnerable to a big player taking over the market. Ask all those small wrestling territory owners in the 80’s that got either bought out or bankrupted by Vince McMahon.

Competition makes the world go round.....while killing off businesses.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
All this just really reminds me of where we were before the bubble burst. Same concept, just a different form of distribution. Once again, a small group of companies are going to spend stupid sums of money on programing that most likely will not attract the money they're going to get. Amazon, Netflix, etc. will be hoping to recoup the costs through costly memberships, and consumers, like myself, will likely be very hesitant to pay for more than one platform.

I didn't like how things were before the last bubble burst around 2008. Things were stupidly expensive, and you could tell that people were around in the fandom solely because it was the latest and greatest awesome thing around.

I also agree with the above comment of that, even though I'd like to hope that the increased cash flow will lead to better salaries for beginning animators, I know that they'll see little, if any, benefit. I will not be surprised if certain distributors buy out certain animation companies or will insist that they'll only license series drawn studios where the distributor will receive some kickback.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Folkstad Ohm wrote:
If there's a substantial audience among Netflix subscribers for shows with lots of fanservice, or for shows with lots of violence, then they will fund production of shows with fanservice and violence.
In theory that is true since a company should make what sells best but in the age of political correctness where masculinity is considered toxic a lot of corporations no longer operate that way.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Second, what kind of anime appeal will be lost by making more mainstream anime series as you say? I bet that there will be some fanservicey series there, but at least there will be less 'imouto', less unnecessary fanservice for some pervy otakus and stuff that might be uncomfortable.
The idea that shows shouldn't make anyone uncomfortable is used by feminists to try to get rid of shows they dislike. For some reason they expect every show to be made for them and complain when it has fanservice in it. I wouldn't call In Another World With My Smartphone a great show but it certainly has the right to exist.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
The problem with Netflix trying to make anime is that they most likely have zero idea why people like anime. They will get rid of the fanservice to make the feminists happy and they will get rid of the violence to make it safe for the kids. There is a very good chance Netflix will make watered down stuff that kind of looks like anime but that is basically no different than Ben 10 or Sofia the First.

Third, the fact that Netflix acquired stuff like Ajin and Knights of Sidonia, which are rated R, and Seven Deadly Sins, which features tons of blood, and that Devilman Crybaby, an upcoming R rated anime, means that they are willing to accept any kind of pitched movie or series, as long as it has potential for the service.
Netflix bought the licensing rights for a lot of anime shows but licensing a show is different than an original production such as Voltron. To be fair it might be a year before we know what Netflix original anime really means but there is good reason why people are skeptical about it.
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm conflicted. On the one hand, this will probably mean more money coming into the industry, but on the other hand I suspect that that money will be funneled toward the kind of series that have historically been successful in the West; in particular, action shows for male audiences. I don't see them funding Kids on the Slope or Chihayafuru or even Made in Abyss. And I also suspect that they will want to "Westernize" their projects; series that have Western funding or influence seem to be disproportionately swayed towards Western ideas of how to depict men and masculinity, for example.

As long as Netflix / Amazon / etc. are minor forces in the industry it won't be a big deal. And if the extra money lets studios do more odd, experimental, or niche series, then that is gravy. But all of this "anime needs to look to a global audience to survive" stuff looks like a recipe for losing the things I enjoy about Japanese media...
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:

...And this is bad, how?

Like, I get the point you're trying to make, but your examples aren't really all that good. I wasn't in a particular hurry to get rid of fan service in anime, but not so much to preserve it, either, and it's precisely because of a multitude of social concerns--feminist and otherwise. I, for one, would not want the industry in its current state to be scaled in the way Justin is referencing; we have enough problems on this front as it is.

Complete negation of violence is just an unrealistic idea.

Because not everyone is you? I enjoy my trashy fanservice. You are really coming off as incredibly selfish and self-important there. It'd be like me saying "I don't like fujoshi shows, so no one should". Or insert any other genre or trope there really.

I echo the worries that many are sharing here. I don't want anime to chase any kind of global appeal and lose it's uniqueness. I watch anime because it's different. Most TV shows that air here in the US don't appeal to me much to be honest.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
All this just really reminds me of where we were before the bubble burst. Same concept, just a different form of distribution. Once again, a small group of companies are going to spend stupid sums of money on programing that most likely will not attract the money they're going to get. Amazon, Netflix, etc. will be hoping to recoup the costs through costly memberships, and consumers, like myself, will likely be very hesitant to pay for more than one platform.

I didn't like how things were before the last bubble burst around 2008. Things were stupidly expensive, and you could tell that people were around in the fandom solely because it was the latest and greatest awesome thing around.

The problem with the Bubble was that it was the US anime industry itself that was acting goofy, and grabbing up pig-in-a-poke licenses for any series they thought looked trendy and sellable, without getting an idea of their audience first.
When it popped, it took Bandai, ADV, Pioneer/Geneon and most of the entire retail anime sales market with it, but now, we're worried about a bunch of clueless carpetbaggers like Netflix and Amazon, that tried to jump into a "side" industry with data from fifteen years ago because they heard it was getting a piece of their action, who are the "suckers" for any Japanese licensor trying to sell a hard-action anime show that needs investors.

If Amazon or Netflix get burned by their new Mr.-Toad mania for anime, they just drop their deadweight and go back to what they'd been doing before. ADV couldn't be as lucky, and Sentai had to work its way back up to the new 10's industry the hard way.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
I would like for Netflix to first actually advertise the shows they licensed if they really want to brand it as a "Netflix Original". That'd be nice.

This, I have seen absolutely no advertising for Fate/Apocrypha, one of their Original streaming exclusives, I didn't even see the trailer on Netflix until a few days ago!

Last edited by mglittlerobin on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10