• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't Tezuka and Ishinomori Anime Popular In The West?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Still some serious manga buffs love that old stuff. Frederik Schodt, the "first American Japanse-pop culture fan", who wrote several academic works on manga said that his favorite manga of all time is Tezuka's Phoenix.

In my case I never tried to read Tezuka's manga but I think I should try at some point. I think that it lacks the cool edge that modern manga/anime art has and that is the main thing that keeps fans away from it. Although I have read several manga classics that do not feature "cool art".

For instance, I read last year Ashita no Joe and it was a very powerful experience, it's perhaps my top manga/anime of all time. But I couldn't convince my sister who is also a manga fan to read it because of the more simple old-school art style.

Overall, I personally do not identify that much with the main characters in those fictional narratives. I usually tend to see them in more objective light as an external observer, that's specially true for stuff like K-On! and Hidamari Sketch: stuff that the readers/viewers sympathize with the characters but they don't quite use it as escapism in the same way. I think that's the reason why stuff like cosplay never appealed to me.

But I think I became a fan of Japanese visual culture for different reasons than most Western fans as well.

MarshalBanana wrote:
niji9t wrote:
Doesn't it all come down to personal taste eventually? I personally like older anime. Rose of Versailles, for example, is one of my favorite anime of all time. We simply weren't exposed to Tezuka and Ishinomori. People complain about the style being 'too old', yet have nothing against Disney movies from the 40's and 50's being outdated.
There is a world of difference between an old low budget Anime TV show, and an animated film from the golden age.Those films and theatrical shorts from he 40s and 50s are unmatched by anything that has come afterwords.

That's why you should READ the stuff in manga form instead of WATCHING the animated version of it: since anime shows only began to have decent animation in general in the 2000's (and it's also easy to spot the improvement in animation between 2017 anime and anime from 2005, for instance) it's usually much better than read the old stuff than to watch it. Manga is in a way more eternal medium than anime whose animation tends to become outdated very easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Super Sentai is the most popular franchise created by Ishinomori in the US because of Power Rangers. I think most people now these days know that PR is based on a series from Japan.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Americans at large didn't get introduced to harder-edged, mature anime for a long time after that. We had the very occasional TV series like Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman), Star Blazers (Yamato) and Robotech (Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeda), the current fan base is still an extension of the 90s boom in anime that happened after Akira was released. For years most fans came to anime looking for edgy, violent, possibly sexy entertainment. Then Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, and finally Pokémon came and acted as a gateway drug for kids, while movie buffs and parents discovered Studio Ghibli movies, giving anime cultural cred.

Umm, Akira was released in 1988 and was actually a box office bomb, considered in Japan as the end of the golden age of anime, followed by the death of Tezuka and the bursting of the economic bubble. There was also a limited American screening on Christmas Day in 1989.

Maybe you meant when it was released on video here in 1991, while becoming appreciated in Japan and internationally. Of course, we had Saturday Anime on the Sci-Fi channel, with golden age titles from the late 1970s to 80s, as well as fairly recent stuff being dubbed and released. "Children's stuff" like Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and the original Toonami was the mid to late 90s and early 2000s around the same time.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Farewell Days of Youth wrote:
0nsen wrote:
Because anime from before 1981 suck. I don't know why that is, but everything from before 1981 is just crap, and I've looked hard. The new Cyborg 009 movie from 2012 was awesome, imho. There's just something cool about outrunning the blast of an atomic bomb and the other action parts of that movie were equally just fun. I also like 009-1 from 2006. But stuff from before 1981? It's all kind of stupid and predictable.

You.....are kidding, right?

He isn't kidding...

He's just myopic. He can't see anything that isn't directly in front of him.
He's like a lot of people who are in this hobby today... Mostly the news guys. If it's from three months before he got into it, it doesn't exist for him and therefore is irrelevant for everybody.

It's such a short-sighted attitude from a guy who's probably only seen locally available anime.
I understand the market's a lot more limited in Europe in general and you won't see as much broadcast on TV or have to have Internet access to catch shows which unfortunately not everybody has access to. The Internet broadcasts of series is very restricted and what's available to see is different literally region to region and sometimes from country to country. There are shows they can't see in Canada which is next-door to me!

There are shows from the 1970s that have concepts that beat up on a lot of the cookie-cutter shows made today. There are many, many shows do the slice of life business to death or redo the harem thing for the millionth time.

Heck, a few of them have arguably better animation! Compared to the American animated series of its time, the original Gatchaman (1972) is WAY better animated! It's better animated than many shows produced over the next 30 and even 40 years since it debuted! Way more ambitious in what it attempted to do for its time.

I gotta laugh at people who say the animation quality is automatically better today.
I guess they haven't been reading articles about the Japanese industry lamenting the lack of skilled, trained animators and the fact that producers are having to take more shortcuts and do more things in CG as much for money-saving as lacking people who can actually animate that well!

The anime I've watched has always relied heavily on tricks like holds, moving cameras, cameras looking over the shoulder of one character talking to another with no visible lip movements (saves on animation!), speed line backgrounds, etc. to hide the lack of ACTUAL motion but there are more and more shows TODAY that look like they're about as well animated as the original Astro Boy from the 1960s!

I'm sorry but I've seen films from Ghibli and non-Ghibli made in the 1980s that are better-animated and just generally more ambitious with SUPERIOR production values than films that debuted these past two years!

Much as I liked Miss Hokusai (2015) it's far from the best-animated anime feature and those are generally expected to be BETTER-drawn and BETTER-animated than TV series unless it's a TV series compilation movie.

Space Cobra: The Movie from 1982 utterly blows away at least 2/3 of the feature anime projects I've seen that were made in the past 20 years! That includes the vast majority of films from the time periods people (the last ten years, or the last 5 years when these guys actually became anime fans) claim the "animation improved dramatically!"
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:18 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I think Yamato 2199's lack of success in the West at least has nothing to do with the content but rather that it isn't really available AFAIK (I think Mike Toole had to import it from Italy?).

Yamato 2199 was handled horribly from the start by Voyager.

They priced the volumes too high for the likes of many people and NEVER finished the series. They released 4 out of 6 volumes and didn't announce they had cancelled volumes 5 and 6.

A lot of people weren't even aware of the show and it was never available in-store.
You could only buy the series online or at conventions IF a vendor had the series in-stock at a con.
As much as people like to brag about Net sales a lot of people don't have debit/credit cards to buy anime online and they won't buy things on-sight, unseen. The average age of anime fans is still junior high/high school to undergrad college. This is an expensive hobby. They have to at least be able to handle it in-store, or, better yet, actually be able to see it online.

I wasn't aware of Yamato 2199 being available on any legal streamsite subbed, to be honest. It wasn't promoted particularly well and the average anime fan doesn't know what Yamato is and most don't care if you DO tell them.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Farewell Days of Youth wrote:
0nsen wrote:
Because anime from before 1981 suck. I don't know why that is, but everything from before 1981 is just crap, and I've looked hard. The new Cyborg 009 movie from 2012 was awesome, imho. There's just something cool about outrunning the blast of an atomic bomb and the other action parts of that movie were equally just fun. I also like 009-1 from 2006. But stuff from before 1981? It's all kind of stupid and predictable.

You.....are kidding, right?

He isn't kidding...

He's just myopic. He can't see anything that isn't directly in front of him.
He's like a lot of people who are in this hobby today... Mostly the news guys. If it's from three months before he got into it, it doesn't exist for him and therefore is irrelevant for everybody.

It's such a short-sighted attitude from a guy who's probably only seen locally available anime.

Just to set the record straight: I've started watching anime in 2007. I think everything before 1981 is crap, not everything before 2007. I know hundreds of anime from before 1981. Hundreds. This is not a figure of speech. It's not like I decided this without watching anything from that time period. I'm open for suggestions of good stuff from around then, but chances are: if you know about it, I know about it, too.

And I only say 1981 because of the Daicon Opening Animations and Urusei Yatsura. Otherwise it would be 1983/84, which would coincide with the OVA market really taking off in Japan and transforming the landscape of anime forever.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Being a fan of older stuff of course i cure all of these other idiots that think new stuff is that amazing while many of them are just about some overhyped teenagers and highschool ...

That being said a lot of what Tezuka and Ishinomori made in the later part of their careers is more Seinen/Gekiga related things so while the style might still appear odd the content this this stories was really grim.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
That's why you should READ the stuff in manga form instead of WATCHING the animated version of it: since anime shows only began to have decent animation in general in the 2000's (and it's also easy to spot the improvement in animation between 2017 anime and anime from 2005, for instance) it's usually much better than read the old stuff than to watch it. Manga is in a way more eternal medium than anime whose animation tends to become outdated very easily.

It depends on the animated adaptation, honestly. Like, I definitely wouldn't tell somebody they shouldn't watch the Cobra TV anime since it's, in my opinion, one of the best looking TV anime series ever made.

There's also stuff like Lupin III, where the manga and the anime are two different experiences entirely.
uguu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
Not a good article.

"Which brings us back to Tezuka and Ishinomori stuff, with it's throwback characters and old fashioned, slightly more sanitized storylines." - sanitized storylines... oh my lord, have you actually read this stuff? Astro Boy has an entire story about a robot becoming president, which is obviously a mirror to the idea of real-world minorities becoming world leaders. The story shows the leader of what is a thinly-veiled anti-robot equivalent of the KKK rewiring said robot president & *forcing him to shine his shoes*. In a later arc Astro encounters a pile of corpses of Vietnamese women and children murdered by US soldiers.

Cyborg 009 takes these themes even further with innocents being murdered onscreen. The VERY FIRST VOLUME shows 001's crazed father killing his own wife with a blow to the head.

They "weren't trying to be cool"? Both took part in the push for edgy, rebellious works found in the 60s and 70s, in the climate of student protests and riots. In fact, Tezuka was ashamed of trying TOO HARD to be cool with Astro Boy during that period, making an "anti-hero Astro" arc that he had since regretted & retconned.

Ishinomori was far more honestly into that era of edginess. Cyborg 009 was dark enough but Sabu & Ichi at times bordered on ero-guro (don't let that keep you from reading it though, Sabu & Ichi is amazing).

I guess Sevakis never read the manga versions and was judging them by the 60s adaptations but the asker clearly said "anime AND MANGA", not just anime. And even then, the fairly mainstream 2000s Cyborg 009 show (it aired on Toonami) kept the dark edge & "coolness" so to speak, and the US version didn't edit much of it out. I guess he didn't watch that one either.
Spawn29 wrote:
It's the same with Go Nagai anime too. For some reason, modern anime fans view them as boring and cliche while they don't mind stuff like Gurren Lagann and Tokyo Ghoul which are influenced by elements from Getter Robo and Devilman. Even a modern upgrade like Shin Mazinger Z is still view as somehow too over the top and silly, but Gurren Lagann is okay.

But the Toei Dynamic Pro shows are garbage. It's not that they're over-the-top, it's that they're babified and bland. The manga versions are the good ones.

Getter Robo manga was Ken Ishikawa, not much Nagai input aside from the basic concept & some character designs like Emperor Gore.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
FinfoxAelia wrote:
Jose Cruz wrote:

It depends on the animated adaptation, honestly. Like, I definitely wouldn't tell somebody they shouldn't watch the Cobra TV anime since it's, in my opinion, one of the best looking TV anime series ever made.

There's also stuff like Lupin III, where the manga and the anime are two different experiences entirely.

True. I was making a gross generalization but I believe that it's generally true that before the 2000's the animation of most TV anime adaptation was so low quality that reading the manga was nearly always better. Which is also the reason why anime only began to get popular among adults in Japan after the mid 2000's while manga has been popular among adults since the 70's.

I think that what I said doesn't apply to the top of the line TV animation or those well produced OVAs or movies (of course) but applies in general to most TV anime adapted from manga from before the early 2000's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Not a good article.

"Which brings us back to Tezuka and Ishinomori stuff, with it's throwback characters and old fashioned, slightly more sanitized storylines." - sanitized storylines... oh my lord, have you actually read this stuff? Astro Boy has an entire story about a robot becoming president, which is obviously a mirror to the idea of real-world minorities becoming world leaders. The story shows the leader of what is a thinly-veiled anti-robot equivalent of the KKK rewiring said robot president & *forcing him to shine his shoes*. In a later arc Astro encounters a pile of corpses of Vietnamese women and children murdered by US soldiers.

Cyborg 009 takes these themes even further with innocents being murdered onscreen. The VERY FIRST VOLUME shows 001's crazed father killing his own wife with a blow to the head.

They "weren't trying to be cool"? Both took part in the push for edgy, rebellious works found in the 60s and 70s, in the climate of student protests and riots. In fact, Tezuka was ashamed of trying TOO HARD to be cool with Astro Boy during that period, making an "anti-hero Astro" arc that he had since regretted & retconned.

Ishinomori was far more honestly into that era of edginess. Cyborg 009 was dark enough but Sabu & Ichi at times bordered on ero-guro (don't let that keep you from reading it though, Sabu & Ichi is amazing).

I guess Sevakis never read the manga versions and was judging them by the 60s adaptations but the asker clearly said "anime AND MANGA", not just anime. And even then, the fairly mainstream 2000s Cyborg 009 show (it aired on Toonami) kept the dark edge & "coolness" so to speak, and the US version didn't edit much of it out. I guess he didn't watch that one either.

If that's the case, then why aren't Tezuka and Ishinomori popular in North America?
0nsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

Right, sanitized. Let's just agree that you and I have very, very different views of that concept. Try pointing at a show from that time where the protagonist is evil and his deeds are glorified. Think Higurashi, where somwhere in there one of the protagonists kills two people that were extorting her father. With an axe and then tries to chop the corpses up, because the bodies are too heavy for her 15year old body to carry. That's when her friends come and see what she's done. What they gonna do? Well, obviously they help her hiding the bodies, duh. That's what friends are there for, right?

Old anime all have that moral club they relentlessly swing. Just take Ashita no Joe from 1970. Joe starts out as a small time criminal and probably had the stuff to make his career in the Yakuza. But what happens? He gets convicted and thrown into a juvenile correction facility or something like that and then discovers his passion for boxing and becomes a changed men that plays by the rules and bullshit like that. Sure, he may accidentally kill someone in the ring, but instead of shrugging it off and going to kill the next guy he ends up in a depression and then joins a circus. I'm not even making that up. Sure, it's more believable. Just in the sense Shinji is more believable in Evangelion than all the other kids enjoying being put in mechas and fighting for their lives. But Shinji started out as a angsty kid and Joe started out as a ruthless criminal.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
uguu wrote:

But the Toei Dynamic Pro shows are garbage. It's not that they're over-the-top, it's that they're babified and bland. The manga versions are the good ones.

Getter Robo manga was Ken Ishikawa, not much Nagai input aside from the basic concept & some character designs like Emperor Gore.

I know Ken Ishikawa mostly created Getter Robo, but Go Nagai still co-created it. I always recommended the more modern stuff of Go Nagai's work to anime & manga fans. Gurren Lagann is mostly inspired by classic Super Robot stuff, so I recommended stuff like Shin Mazinger Z Impact and Getter Robo Armageddon to them. However they look at it as stupid and too over the top for them despite them loving stuff like Gurren Lagann.

Even Cutie Honey and Devilman don't seem to get that much love from the modern anime & manga fandom despite a lot of their favorite series has been inspired by them. Maybe that will change when the Netflix Devilman series comes out.
niji9t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
niji9t wrote:
Doesn't it all come down to personal taste eventually? I personally like older anime. Rose of Versailles, for example, is one of my favorite anime of all time. We simply weren't exposed to Tezuka and Ishinomori. People complain about the style being 'too old', yet have nothing against Disney movies from the 40's and 50's being outdated.

Maybe some people, but I detest the old Disney style animation. I respect the fact that it helped start the industry as a whole, but it does nothing (good) for me.

Again, this is a matter of taste if you ask me. You might not like it, while some others think it's brilliant.
uguu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
uguu wrote:
Not a good article.

If that's the case, then why aren't Tezuka and Ishinomori popular in North America?

American anime fandom has forever been poisoned by Manga Entertainment-style "anime is NOT CARTOONS FOR PUSSIES" and the western looking art drives people away because they want anime to be "exotic".

0nsen wrote:
uguu wrote:

Right, sanitized. Let's just agree that you and I have very, very different views of that concept. Try pointing at a show from that time where the protagonist is evil and his deeds are glorified. Think Higurashi, where somwhere in there one of the protagonists kills two people that were extorting her father. With an axe and then tries to chop the corpses up, because the bodies are too heavy for her 15year old body to carry. That's when her friends come and see what she's done. What they gonna do? Well, obviously they help her hiding the bodies, duh. That's what friends are there for, right?

Old anime all have that moral club they relentlessly swing. Just take Ashita no Joe from 1970. Joe starts out as a small time criminal and probably had the stuff to make his career in the Yakuza. But what happens? He gets convicted and thrown into a juvenile correction facility or something like that and then discovers his passion for boxing and becomes a changed men that plays by the rules and bullshit like that. Sure, he may accidentally kill someone in the ring, but instead of shrugging it off and going to kill the next guy he ends up in a depression and then joins a circus. I'm not even making that up. Sure, it's more believable. Just in the sense Shinji is more believable in Evangelion than all the other kids enjoying being put in mechas and fighting for their lives. But Shinji started out as a angsty kid and Joe started out as a ruthless criminal.

So anything that's not psychotic lacks bite?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5