• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Columnist Criticizes Japanese Environmental Ministry's Moe Girls as Sexist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be more efficient to say "I don't think that this character is going to appeal to the amount of people we want, what else can we do to promote this campaign?" rather than "This campaign is sexist and we need to spend all our time and money explaining to everyone why and how it is sexist. We will get to environmental protection later."

I mean, isn't doing that literally the exact opposite of what they are trying to promote? If you think it's only appealing to a certain group of people... then instead of dismantling it and starting from scratch... why not just add onto it? You already know you are appealing to that one group... so just amend it to appeal to more.

People are stupid. If someone is "offended" in a situation where it's their option to follow or not, I automatically assume they have a low IQ.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Just trying to figure out how the pictures provided put women in a "lesser" or depased gender role. Because to me the woman just seems jelly cause the girls are attractive and again brings me to my first point of just having male counterpart to fix this whole squabble.

Oh good God. The issue isn't over attractiveness, for Christ's sake. Get that through your head. She's talking about a style of drawing that accents a female looking more child-like. It's a image designed to appeal to male otaku's yearning for moe: cute, ineffective females who need are help. Just sticking a male character beside her doesn't change anything, but it would at least make the pandering not quite as blatant, I guess. I'll give you that much.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Wow, what a surprise ... a flatly declarative statement with ZERO reasoning to back it up. Just the level of logic and intelligent discourse I would expect. You can't figure it out, of course, but yes, the fact that there is no such thing as a "cute boys doing cute things" genre is a huge tell with regard to sexism. It's the same reason why "dumb blonde" jokes are sexist. Because the butt of dumb blonde jokes are ALWAYS female. Not understanding something so basic is ... as you would say ... retarded.

But there is a market for it, not as big as its counterpart but its there.(Free! Anyone) yes dumb blond jokes are sexist but these pictures were a lot things but definetly not sexist(prejudice or discriminatory).

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
You could call it racist too since it uses white people, honestly calling this sexist is quite the stretch in my opinion. Sexuality can get sexist, but since sexism covers such a wide spectrum I'd argue it's not very poignant.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Yeah, the fact there is no such thing as a "cute boys doing cute things" genre should tell you volumes..
'

Congrats, that is the most retarded reason i've ever heard for calling something sexist.

You know, it's too easy to attack other peoples' opinions like a bully on the internet and make them look retarded, or using strawman arguments and conspiracy theories like the posters right under your comment to distract from the hard truth, but what if you guys could just shut up like grown up men for once and actually think hard about Blood-'s argument of inherent sexism in depictions of helpless cute moe girls? And what about letting a grown up woman having a word or two about depictions of her own gender in public media? Don't you think it's not up to you guys to tell a woman how she's supposed to feel about media representations of her own gender? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I love how virtually all the arguments in opposition to the opinion that the images under question are sexist boils down to, "I personally don't feel they're sexist, so they're not." And of course virtually all (if not actually all) the posters saying that are male. And I'd venture to say not the part of the male population that has actually been in relationships with real, live, human females. Oi vey.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Just trying to figure out how the pictures provided put women in a "lesser" or depased gender role. Because to me the woman just seems jelly cause the girls are attractive and again brings me to my first point of just having male counterpart to fix this whole squabble.

Oh good God. The issue isn't over attractiveness, for Christ's sake. Get that through your head. She's talking about a style of drawing that accents a female looking more child-like. It's a image designed to appeal to male otaku's yearning for moe: cute, ineffective females who need are help. Just sticking a male character beside her doesn't change anything, but it would at least make the pandering not quite as blatant, I guess. I'll give you that much.

Except she specifically said it was "moe" which is not ineffective females who need our help as you said (that can be moe but that's not the definition of it) when something is moe it means to arouse affection towards someone or even something cute. So no, these girls do not give the helpless expression like you said, they are just cute. So yes this whole thing is completely over the fact that they are using attractiveness to promote something.

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Mods please close down this thread for the love of God. You can't have civil discussions on a forum such as this for a topic as toxic and sensitive as sexism. It resorts to people like Blood- insulting and flaming others with no thought to an actual discussion. Thus resorting to others flaming and insulting him for a difference of opinion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Mods please close down this thread for the love of God. You can't have civil discussions on a forum such as this for a topic as toxic and sensitive as sexism. It resorts to people like Blood- insulting and flaming others with no thought to an actual discussion. Thus resorting to others flaming and insulting him for a difference of opinion.

Riiiiiiight, because I'm the one who started the insults. Rolling Eyes At least I've been backing up my argument about why I can easily understand somebody who thinks the campaign in question is sexist with actual thought as opposed to, "derrrrrr, the wimmin who wrote dat is stoooooopid."
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Now, the real problem with this campaign is that, even though you're supposed to be aiming to be like Mirai, Ima is quite obviously the better girl.

N̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶e̶x̶c̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶"̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶"̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I say good, keep going. If Japan needs anything, it's change.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Now, the real problem with this campaign is that, even though you're supposed to be aiming to be like Mirai, Ima is quite obviously the better girl.

N̶o̶w̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶e̶x̶c̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶"̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶"̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶

Laughing
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:

Riiiiiiight, because I'm the one who started the insults. Rolling Eyes At least I've been backing up my argument about why I can easily understand somebody who thinks the campaign in question is sexist with actual thought as opposed to, "derrrrrr, the wimmin who wrote dat is stoooooopid."

I never said you were the only one throwing insults hence whey I mentioned the people who were insulting you just for having a difference opinion. I honestly would love to have a discussion with you as why I don't think sexism has valid grounds on this particular argument, as I do value your opinion on the subject. But this is not the format for it, and just leads to uncivilized mockery, which you have also pointed out.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I understand where they're coming from but there's a market for this stuff and they should be a little fair and call out on some of the stuff aimed at the female otakus as well.
Blood- wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:

Yes you were the one that started it with inflammatory posts
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4898334&highlight=#4898334
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4898349&highlight=#4898349
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
There was plenty that was inflammatory before I got to the thread. Starting with the rocket scientist who said he saw the columnist in question was half-Japanese and half-Egyptian and stopped reading.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7