• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Launches Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputn1k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

Meanwhile, combing a Funimation subscription and a Crunchyroll Premimum membership comes out to $12.94 which gets me access to the vast majority of subbed simulcasts, exclusive english simuldubs to a number of those simulcasts, and ad-free access to both CR and Funi's back catalog of hundreds of titles - with access to English dubs of a large number of those as well.

It's actually just $9.99/month to get both Crunchyroll and Funimation over at vrv.co.
supercreep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
supercreep wrote:
I see this as Amazon trying to eat up a part of the market that Crunchyroll refuses to support. That is, people have Fire TV and Fire devices. There is no Crunchyroll app for Fire TV. Since they won't make one, Amazon has a nice big opening there.

If that is their intent, that doesn't seem like it will work. Roku is the number one streaming device (one I own and prefer) and them and the other two devices that have a significant market share (Google and Apple TV) have CR apps, which means 82% of that market has access to CR. If their intent is as you say, they will probably fail hard.

I honestly believe that their intent is not to compete with Crunchyroll. How could they possibly? You need to have Amazon Prime to subscribe to this. I do think that for people that have a Fire TV (like me,) this is a simpler option. CR chooses not to compete in that market, so why shouldn't Amazon take advantage of that?
WhiteLighter18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
WhiteLighter18 wrote:
I just tried the service, i watched one episode of Nanoha StrikeS and its missing the subtitles, anyone know if they will fix that soon?

PS. I know that it just started but hopefully i can enjoy my anime again

You have to turn it on manually on the player controls. A pain in the ass I just remembered today

Also from what I heard in the forum for another article is that the decision directed by the content provider not Amazon. Not a great idea whoever thought of it nonetheless, even if I'm not as displeased as others.

I know i tried that, but it doesnt have subtitles option at all, maybe they dont have it yet?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
^Ah I haven't seen Nanoha StikeS so that may be the case. A question for Tech Support then.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Well I signed up for it now I can finally watch The Great Passage and Vivid Strike so as of right now I have Daisuki at $5 Crunchyroll Premium + at $11.95 and this service now at $4.99 a month. Still cheaper than going out to eat but having the number of shows I want to watch spread over three to four different services is annoying.

It seems like folding Amazon's new service into Prime which I am already paying for would be smarter but oh well.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
In the age of brick & mortar retailers dying faster than ever, there are still people who dont use AMZN Prime services?

Yep, lots of us. I don't personally because I don't need free two day shipping - I'm not so impatient that I can't wait a few extra days. And nothing else prime offers has any value to me. Smile

(Last year it was estimated that Prime members number around 54 million, versus the estimated 244 million active customers)
marshall2000_uk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Well Amazon have been annoying me for quite some time now. This doesn't affect me right now here in the U.K. but I guess it will at some point. Their Prime wall BS has made me look elsewhere for buying anime. TBH I usually find it cheaper on Base.com but now their adding anime behind it. I watch my stuff dubbed so these shows are really of interest to me but how long before they get stuff want to watch.

This will also drive up prices. It's kinda reminding me of the anime boom (was it early 2000's) and wonder whether it'll all come crashing down again. Especially if Amazon offer stupid prices and it all goes wrong.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I have a huge interest in Noitamina shows (I've enjoyed almost all shows in the block since it started), so I will begrudgingly pay for the extra service, in addition to my prime account, just to be able to view those shows. If a cour of shows for the program block doesn't interest me, I can turn the service off for those months, saving me a few dollars, and just turn it back on when something peaks my interest again. If they begin to get exclusives outside that specific block and they are shows I have interest in, it may become a regular monthly charge.

Sure, I would rather have it rolled up into my Prime membership, but I refuse to pirate anime that has a viable legal stream someplace on the web, so its really pay up or don't watch. I do not feel like I am entitled to be able to watch certain shows (I've been a fan for over 20 years now and remember the times before digital fansubs), so if a show is not available for me to view legally (or in a format that I'm willing to view.....coughoughHulucoughcouch....), I just won't watch. I'm not going to cry about it; just choose something else to watch or go without.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I can see this policy working for add ons to the platform that are by different companies (I have both Prime and a Dramafever sub) but for something in house, I feel that this is not a very good method to serve an "underserved" demographic. It's a lousy excuse honestly.

It seems like Amazon is simply testing the waters to see if this will work or not. Amazon Prime video is a big service but I wonder how it's doing in comparison to their core business. I doubt Strike will pan out for them anyways but best to kill it early rather than let them think that they can pursue this pricing scheme.

That said, I won't be subscribing to this because I can watch Blue Exorcist on CR. Shame Chii is on Amazon though...I loved the original.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Another service? I'm a poor college student. I think Crunchyroll is all I can do. I probably shouldn't even be doing that, but I'll make it work.

Thankfully, I think CR covers me a lot.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Hope that Amazon starts doing home media releases with nanoha.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
*sigh* Another service? I'm a poor college student. I think Crunchyroll is all I can do. I probably shouldn't even be doing that, but I'll make it work.

Thankfully, I think CR covers me a lot.

If you are willing to sacrifice resolution quality and wait a week for each episode, you can just become a free CR member. Basically all the CR apps support free members now too.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hooray for more fragmentation in the market!
Agreed.
0nsen wrote:
Kidkidd wrote:
So whats this make now? If i want to make sure i can watch anime, i need this, netflix, crunchyroll, funimation, daisuki, and even then im not guaranteed they'll carry all the shows im interested in each season?
There's also a solution to catch them all. It's called torrenting and somewhat illegal, depending on where you live. But it gets you the Blu-Ray versions instead of the crappy stuff they make for TV to get you interested.
I no longer torrent (for a couple of reasons) but I must say that I am ambivalent about the complaints about pricing. On the one hand Amazon is helping to support the anime production committee system in Japan. On the other hand, however, without offering a free option Amazon is encouraging piracy.

Or that's how it seems to me, anyway. My two cents.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Funimation & Crunchyroll: "Let's team up to make more anime available to more people!"
Amazon: "Let's do the exact opposite of what they're doing!"

Seriously, this is the single dumbest move that Amazon could make. I skimmed through about 7 hours worth of tweets, and roughly 95% of them have been negative. It's not just Twitter, either. GameFAQs, Fandom Post, and right here at ANN are covered with people expressing their discontent with the service. I don't think I've seen this much fan outcry since PonyCan canceled the Rokka standard editions.

People are mad. If Amazon were smart, they'd adjust their offering post-haste.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Also it should be noted that it seems Sentai Filmworks has definitely gone full "taking your ball home in a huff because your friend started hanging out with that one guy you hate", because Sentai has put Urara Meirocho onto Anime Strike, but not CR yet.

I wouldn't be shocked if heading forward any titles Sentai licenses will appear on Anime Strike instead of CR. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10