• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ DP - I agree that The Outcast was not a great show either, but I definitely preferred it to this. For example, I liked the backstory of the lead female from that show. It had some humour that worked for me. But yeah, I'm not sure I'll even bother sampling any other offerings from Emon in the future.

No doubt that the backstory was the best part of The Outcast, it was an actual good part of that show. I had the feeling you would say you preferred Outcast, and I can probably only contribute a few shallow reasons why I might have some preferences of Bloodivores..... why I think is partially because I am still mad that they had zombies and tried calling them Jiangshi, while calling the not quite vampires "bloodivores" is not a sticking point.

For the company behind them, I have actually been enjoying Cheating Craft, easily funnier and I think goes a good way to having good female characters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe I shouldn't be so hasty to write them off as a company. It's just that Outcast and Bloodivores suffer from so many of the same problems: crappy animation, half-formed ideas that never seem to go anywhere, etc, that it has made me wary. Although, I probably shouldn't kid myself. I seem to have a need to sample as much as possible just to "make sure" I'm not missing out on anything cool.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Watching Vivid Strike. As a big fan of the Nanoha franchise I find the concept of cute characters beating the crap out of each other very entertaining. This series so far has been exactly what I wanted from it. I find it curious that the fantasy based plots of previous series of the franchise have become less and less "mahou shoujo fantasy" and more martial arts. This one feels like a boxing manga but like, "magical girl boxing". Pretty cool stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
Okay, anther series finished without its own topic, Scorching Ping Pong Girls.

Scorching Ping Pong Girls, Episode 12 (finale)

This was not really a bad show, it kind of did itself right with this sports anime where ping pong games could become big battle like scenes with different techniques. Other anime have done it like Haikyuu and many others, although the one that comes to mind specifically is Saki which did Mahjong, which connects with the table like aspect and female cast, and kind of made ping pong being serious not as strange as one would think.

In general had some good aspects, among which might be the expectation of who the main character would be, where the shy cute girl who can get riled up seemed like the easy answer. But largely it was the other tsundere character who was having a negative reaction to losing her special place as the top that everyone looked up to. Really it was some nice story where we had all of her insecurities early on in the season over wanting to be the top, and yet we had a subversion that did not entirely criticise her for her goals. The boob jokes were probably the worst part of the show.

But if I was going to put a finger on a negative aspect, I might say it was almost too easy to get into. I was not overly grabbed by the twist, so I relied on other aspects, but they were not as strong. The show looks okay, action scenes especially, it sounded about the right amount of a good slice of life, and it was generally fun. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time watching.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Ok, so I just finished Cheating Craft. WTF?! spoiler[Did Shuu kill him?] OO I don't even...

I will give Haoliners one thing - I love their logo animation. If only their properties ever lived up to that.

I finally threw in the towel on Bloodivores. I made it through episode 8. Could someone please give me the Reader's Digest Condensed version of what happened after that and spare me? PM me if you want or do it here and help others.

Also made it through that puzzle girl thing, Nazotokine or whatever. The only good thing about it is that the quiz pig didn't turn out to be a Kyubey. It was like a short version of Phi Brain in that you were never given enough time to work out the puzzles, except here you had only a tenth of the time to process it and the puzzles were 1000 times more obscure. And it had zero likable characters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Bloodivores from episode 9 on:

spoiler[Can't quite remember where episode 8 left off, but at some point the main "mission" of the series was to save the weird little blonde girl who only says, "Yaya." Her collar was down to number 5 and apparently if you don't kill any monsters, your collar gets to zero and explodes. So Mi Liu and his buddies come up with a plan to save her by rigging a bulding with explosives (a building filled with monsters) and giving the trigger to Yaya to press so that she'll get "credit" for killing the monsters. To make the plan work, Mi Liu has to go find that super powerful guy whose name I can't remember. That's where he gets the explosives. During this time, one of his buddies whose name I also can't remember goes berserk (i.e. his eyes glow red) and he starts sprouting swords from his body and goes on a rampage. Mi Liu and Anji eventually subdue him and he goes back to normal. The explosives plan works and Yaya's collar goes to 55. And that is literally where the show ends.]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
Witch Hunter Robin.A few years ago When i first started to watch this series a few episodes really touched my heart which saw on Adult Swim. I have collected all the series to my favorite dvd collection.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Today I finally got around to watching Pokémon: Hoopa and the Clash of Ages. It was a good movie; I didn't get too excited about the battle scenes, but I was awed by the power of Hoopa's true form. Surprised However, the climax left me a bit perplexed in how it played out...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I reached another personal viewing milestone last night when I finished watching my 600th anime TV series to completion. The series in question was the aptly named The Great Passage which also, due to its quality, was a very fitting show to be a milestone. One would hate to hit a marker with a turd like Bloodivores, for example.

597 of those shows have been watched since January 2009, so I'm averaging about 75 a year. That doesn't count whatever OVAs and movies/specials I happen to watch or the shows that I start but end up dropping at some point.

The Great Passage was a very well done SoL about a dude editing a new dictionary called The Great Passage. Sounds like gripping stuff, right? Well, between the aliens, mecha fights and being transported into a fantasy world, it was actually quite compelling. Okay, none of that actually happened, but it was still a worthwhile watch. I hope to see more of this type of programming in the future.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching two shows that I consider to be masterpieces of their respective genres. Diamond is Unbreakable for the shounen genre and Full Moon Wo Sagashite for the Shoujo genre. In short, both are superb, with DiU having some of the most thoughtful battles in shounen history, a great villain with an amusing motive of just wanting to live a peaceful life while also fulfilling his lust for severed lady hands, and an amazing soundtrack, particularly with the third OP, Great Days, and the ED, Savage Garden.

As for Full Moon Wo Sagashite, the main character is wholly endearing, and the supporting cast ranges from adorable and heartfelt to jerks, but the realistic type of jerk with actual humanity. There isn't a single member of the cast who I don't know a similar person in real life, though in Mitsuki and Takuto's case, I wish I did. Speaking of which, Takuto is one of the best supporting protagonists in a shoujo anime this side of Fakir from Princess Tutu. He's not nearly as big of a jerk as Fakir can be, and shows his affectionate and admirable side often enough that it makes me smile every time he's on screen. Well, every time after around episode 15 or so. I plan on writing a full review tomorrow. Very Happy I hope it encourages more people to watch this amazing show~!
peter a

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
@Blood
Quote:
I reached another personal viewing milestone last night when I finished watching my 600th anime TV series to completion.

Wow Blood , your anime sheet is getting big .
How fast is your computer just to keep up with your anime list ?.
So far I`m up to 53 individual shows and only started watching them this year, which contain multiple seasons ova and films, like ghost in the shell etc.
If you say 20 episodes and 30 minutes on average that 10 hours per show and 530 hours total , I must be sad !!!!!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, peter a, if you've managed 53 individual shows in a single year, which includes multiple seasons and related OVAs, that's pretty darn good. The main reason my yearly total is somewhat high is that I do watch a lot of currently airing anime on Crunchyroll and other sites. Plus, anime is virtually my sole source of visual entertainment. I follow no live action shows and don't often watch live-action movies any more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood- That's all that happened in 4 episodes? oO Well, thanks for relieving my faint curiosity and saving me some time! Smile

And congrats on your milestone. My own total on ANN is 586, but I keep forgetting to add titles and got a late start on keeping track to begin with, so I know it's significantly more than that (my ballpark guess would be around 900). Like earlier today I added about 10 series starting with C that I watched years ago. And there are some titles I know I've seen, but can recall so little about them that I don't want to rate them, so I just don't add them. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti - you are quite welcome. My own regret with respect to keeping track of watched anime is not learning of MAL before I did. I wish I had started there at ground zero. By the time I learned of it, it would have been too late to recreate a lot of the info, so I just said eff it.
peter a

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Quote:
I do watch a lot of currently airing anime on Crunchyroll and other sites. Plus, anime is virtually my sole source of visual entertainment. I follow no live action shows and don't often watch live-action movies any more.

I agree with you on that !!!!! , I do watch live-action films if any good ones come along and never been the type to watch hours and hours of soaps per day, I did used to watch all the normal American show like , csi , ncis , but most of the stuff I watched have now stopped so I`m reduced to around only about 3 hours per week of live-action shows. I`ve given up my film streaming service and went to Crunchyroll instead.

Quote:
My own regret with respect to keeping track of watched anime is not learning of MAL before I did.

MAL eh ?

I started off with peoples top 10 list and bounced from one anime to another without any type of order, so I am looking through my anime now in alphabetical order and only got to D , “Date A live” with a little stop off at “Kill la Kill”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 947 of 1064