• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Insider's Top 50

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Law

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
Anime Insider magazine just printed their 50th issue and inside is printed a list of the top 50 anime of all time, according to their staff and some opinions from those in the industry. Cowboy Bebop was number one while "Eva" placed sixth...I haven't quite made up my mind about their order yet and I think there might be some omissions that probably should have been on the list. However, I think that most of what was chosen deserved to be on there...a pretty sound list. (I think the omission of more recent triumphs like Bleach is fair...it's hard to measure their impact since they're so new) I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of anyone else who has read the article. Bye-bye!!! (and BUY your anime, hee hee)

The list is as follows:
50. Vision of Escaflowne
49. Saikano
48. Berserk
47. Kino's Journey
46. Cardcaptor Sakura
45. Fantastic Children
44. Irresponsible Captain Tylor
43. Giant Robo
42. Twelve Kingdoms
41. Azumanga Daioh
40. Urusei Yatsura
39. Astro Boy
38. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
37. Fruits Basket
36. Night on the Galactic Railroad
35. Excel Saga
34. Trigun
33. Read or Die
32. Princess Mononoke
31. Gunbuster: Aim for the Top!
30. Samurai X: Trust and Betryal
29. The Place Promised in Our Early Days
28. Planetes
27. Samurai Champloo
26. Moblie Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
25. Princess Tutu
24. Serial Experiments Lain
23. Galaxy Express 999
22. Patlabor the Movie 2
21. Tokyo Godfathers
20. Gankutsuou
19. My Neighbor Totoro
18. Boogiepop Phantom
17. Paranoia Agent
16. Grave of the Fireflies
15. Haibane Renmei
14. Ghost in the Shell/Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
13. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
12. Now and Then, Here and There
11. Fullmetal Alchemist
10. Macross Plus
9. Akira
8. The Castle of Cagliostro
7. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion
5. Revolutionary Girl Utena
4. FLCL
3. Millennium Actress
2. Porco Rosso
1. Cowboy Bebop

[edit: I added the list to the opening post so people don't have to hunt for it. - Keonyn]
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop #1? Excuse me, but there is nothing "groundbreaking" about that anime. I'd at least expect DBZ to get the top spot. True it's the most reviled Anime out there, but without it, Cowboy Bebop wouldn't have been able to get it's foot into the door here.
Vincent Law

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop has become one of anime's sacred cows, IMHO...that is to say, people are almost afraid to criticize it at this point...I enjoy it and I do think that its artistic presentation alone earns it a spot in the top ten, at least...I'm not a big DBZ fan, personally (okay, I don't like it at all, truthfully). I noticed that virtually no shonen anime made it onto the list. A bias, perhaps???

P.S. Come to think of it, I don't think DBZ made it onto the list, period
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
If it's a best 50 anime list as opposed to a most influential 50 anime list than DBZ deserves to have no place on it. Anyone who thinks so should take off their nostaglia tinted glasses as well as read the manga and see how drawn out the episodes are in addition to heaps of atrocious filler.
Vincent Law

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'm inclined to agree with you, Westlo...I never cared for DBZ or any of the Dragonballs, for that matter...I was surprised to see that only Millennium Actress made it onto the list. I guess they didn't want to give Satoshi Kon too many spots, lol
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote
I'll probably end up reading this because where I work at sells the magazine and I just usually read it off the shelf (I don't actually like the magazine enough to purchase it, sorry, I just skim through it though). I'm probably going to disagree with it anyway. But that's just how things are (heck, I disagree with 8/10 of the top titles on this site as well). The fact that you said there isn't any shounen titles greatly surprises me though (and something that I don't really believe). I'll have to check it out myself I guess.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
Vincent Law wrote:
Anime Insider magazine just printed their 50th issue and inside is printed a list of the top 50 anime of all time, according to their staff and some opinions from those in the industry.

With no access to the magazine itself, I wonder how many of the judges are Japanese nationals, for while Cowboy Bebop is enormously popular in North America, it is only moderately popular in Japan, and if I recall correctly it has never made into top 10 of similar Japanese lists, let alone #1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
You know what would make this topic infinitely better? The list. Anyone got a link to it?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote
I remember the NTUSA feature two years ago, in which the readers picked the Top 25. Evangelion stole the top spot, while Cowboy Bebop took #2. That list did carry DBZ, but remember that these was the readers' choices, not some group of industry leaders.

This is the full list. (Remember this is two years ago.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:

And this was the one from Anime Insider almost three years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:

And this was the one from Anime Insider almost three years ago.

At least they had some of the series I was looking for on a Top 50. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
If it's a best 50 anime list as opposed to a most influential 50 anime list than DBZ deserves to have no place on it. Anyone who thinks so should take off their nostaglia tinted glasses as well as read the manga and see how drawn out the episodes are in addition to heaps of atrocious filler.

Do I have to agree with that?
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
Vincent Law wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with you, Westlo...I never cared for DBZ or any of the Dragonballs, for that matter...I was surprised to see that only Millennium Actress made it onto the list. I guess they didn't want to give Satoshi Kon too many spots, lol

Actually, Kon got a few, Tokyo Godfathers was #21 and Paranoia Agent #17. Like others said, the list is meant to be the best quality series, not the most influential. Otherwise DBZ would had made it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
"Insider", huh? Laughing For basically having the same set of anime in its top 50 list... might as well use a random number generator.
Crisco Disco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone mind taking the time to type out the list? I'd love to see it, and I'm sure others would also. We'd appreciate your kind actions greatly. :]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6