• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Black Magic M-66

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuprin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Just seeing the link on the front page brought a big grin to my face.

Chrno2 wrote:
Oh man the memories, the memories!!

This was another feature I watched back in HS and I utterly fell in love with it. Yeah, you can't help but catch those 'Terminator' takes.

I rememeber describing it as what the terminator would be like if Arnold's character were actually tough.

I've still got my old VHS sub tape - probably the second tape I'd ever purchased, back when the only way to get anime was ordering out of the back of a magazine with nothing but a tiny picture to make your purchasing decision. It's still a favorite I dig out from time to time.
exilesgate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when I saw that link there was a part of me that almost cried.

Its so nostalgic. I'm surprised that there are any newer fans who like it. After all, it requires a certain taste to really get into the old stuff.

Well, wait, that's not fair. This isn't like most older anime. It has really great art for the time and an action filled plot.
GuyvarIII

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Couldn’t agree more with your review of Black Magic but …
Appleseed is only "mediocre"?

I thought Appleseed the 1988 OVA was great! It had the over-used, cliché, antiseptic world of the future where mankind has lost all liberty, like in the film Logan's Run. But it ended up going in a completely different direction from most other Sci-fi movies, reaching the conclusion that maybe it's OK to give up freedom for comfort. I found the idea unique and horrifying … yet it’s also the more logical choice for an individual in that circumstance.

Hope I’ll see "A Wind Named Amnesia", "8-Man After", "Dagger of Kamui", "Dirty Pair: Project Eden", "Lensman", and more in the future!

Last edited by GuyvarIII on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this OVA continuously throughout the late 80s along with BGC. The conte book (storyboards) is really well structured and along with the Miyazaki ones really gives an insight on how directing is done right. The storyboard part is 328 pages long and the best part of it is that all of it is drawn by Shirow. I really wish that he would get back into directing since he has such a good sense of weight in motion.
danth78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Black Magic is an awesome OAV. The deadliness of the killer robot is convincing, thanks to the well-done action scenes. The art and animation are pretty great, too. I have the DVD, but it suffers from the worst line aliasing I've ever seen on an anime DVD (of course, it's Manga: most of their DVD releases are crap). I loathe Banda Visual, but if they can get a better looking transfer of this OAV on DVD, I'll consider paying whatever ludicrous price they want for it.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
One of the best anime OVA's of all time.

I found an error in the article:

Buried Treasure
Black Magic M-66
by Justin Sevakis, Oct 17 2007

"Black Magic M-66 was first released by LA Hero in 1995 in both sub and dub versions,"

It is WRONG!!!

CORRECT INFO:

Black Magic M-66 was originally released in the USA back in 1991.
It was released by US Renditions(aka: Books Nippan, Nippon Shuppan Hanbai USA Inc.) on VHS English sub only in a hard cover case label number: USR-VD6. LA Hero re-released it, LA Hero was a part of US Renditions.

I own the original release on vhs tape. I bought it back in 1991 when it came out. US Renditions was the the 2nd(Animeigo was the first- their first release was : Madox-01 released on vhs in 1989) company to release Japanese anime in the USA in it's original japanese language uncut and unedited with English subs.

Black Magic M-66 is a must see anime. Hard to believe now that it has been 16 years since I bought it and Appleseed from Books Nippan on vhs. Back then you had to mail order anime and you were lucky if your local comic book shop sold(fan subbed and raw) anime(most of them sold bootlegs back then). I did not spot anime tapes in stores like Media play(out of business now) and Best buy untill 1994. It took Wal-mart a few years to catch on and they finally started to sell anime.

Read the Black magic M-66 manga if you get a chance kinda different from the anime but worth reading.

I've been watching anime since the mid 1970's and been collecting it (on and off ) since 1988.

I just wanted to get the original release date correct.

Have a good one,

The Unknown 24

Twisted Evil Razz Twisted Evil
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:

Aw, crap. You know, I'm getting sick of fixing this... I suppose that means I need to research a bit more thoroughly next time. :p

But wait a second... Dangaioh had to have come out before Black Magic, right? Because the Yoshida/Ledoux team translated Black Magic, and weren't they brought in to replace the previous team because of the "Side Kick Punch" incident?

I thought this part of US anime history was better documented, but I can find surprisingly little online about it. (In retrospect it was foolish to have pitched all those ancient Right Stuf catalogs with the late Jeff Thompson's ramblings.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:

It is WRONG!!!

CORRECT INFO:

Feel free to offer your corrections in the forums but don't be an ass about it, okay?
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The Unknown 24 wrote:

It is WRONG!!!

CORRECT INFO:

Feel free to offer your corrections in the forums but don't be an ass about it, okay?

Did not mean to be an ass! My appologies.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 am Reply with quote
[quote="jsevakis"]
The Unknown 24 wrote:

But wait a second... Dangaioh had to have come out before Black Magic, right? Because the Yoshida/Ledoux team translated Black Magic, and weren't they brought in to replace the previous team because of the "Side Kick Punch" incident?

Your correct Dangaioh came out before Black magic m-66. Dangaioh was US Renditions first release.

Time to go to work!!!

Later,

The Unknown 24

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Guest what everyone? I got this on DVD!!!!! I ripped it off of Encore 3 years ago when I recorded it on tape and copied it on a DVD-R disc. Boy I'm sure glad I have this, I didn't realize it was out of print!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3