• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heart-Pounding Tournaments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the Grand Magic Games tournament from Fairy Tail on here. It took a traditional tournament and ripped it up with some really inventive bouts instead of just generic fighting that so many series do. Even the normal fights were fab as expected coming from Mashima. Easily one of the best arcs in the series for me.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man. The poll for coolest opening sequence is a tough one. I don't know which three to choose from. Sad
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised the Hunter Exams are at the top of the list. I'm watching the series as it premiers on Toonami, and it is rather intense. Although I can only guess it'll become more so as we enter the final phases.

For the poll, I went with the OPs for Michiko and Hatchin, Samurai Champloo, and wrote in Witch Hunter Robin. I really like all three of those about equal for animation and song, although I guess if I were to choose one over the others I'd probably have to go with WHR. Shell is definitely a song I'd put on repeat for a day or so and never get tired of it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
So are we gonna act like the Chunin Exams wasn't an amazing arc? And an exclusion of the Dark Tournament in YYH is an absolute travesty. Otherwise decent list I guess.

It was "amazing" only in that Kishimoto literally ripped it off wholesale from Togashi's Hunter Exam. I watched the latter series after the former, and almost every episode left me thinking, "Dear lord Kishimoto you really didn't have an original thought in your head, did you?" I will agree with you on the exclusion of Yu Yu Hakusho: I've never seen it myself, but it's about the first thing I think of when someone mentions "tournament arc."

And man, I could easily pick about 9 or 10 options for that poll. As it stood I had to give the nods to Origa's mind-blowing "Rise," the eternal masterpiece "Tank!", and a bit of Lupin, because come on, that invented cool openings.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Um...it's like you never read/watched....

FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Before the creators made Ash's continual losses at the tournaments a running joke

Please don't remind me of such tragic things ;_;
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
So are we gonna act like the Chunin Exams wasn't an amazing arc?

It's was good arc......as a good tournament arc?......no.

Correct me If I'm wrong but aren't tournament arcs supposed to you know have decisive ends not be blown off in the middle of it?

Top Gun wrote:

It was "amazing" only in that Kishimoto literally ripped it off wholesale from Togashi's Hunter Exam.

Togashi must not have an original bone in his body either as Tournament arcs were a thing long before HunterXHunter hell YuYuHakusho which he also wrote had a Tournament arc.

KH91 wrote:

To be pretty fair the Yu-Gi-Oh anime had 3 different tournament arcs not just Battle City.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I never thought of Ash's continual losses as a running gag. I always thought of it as his own personal progress, considering that, minus Pikachu, he replaces his team every time a new generation of Pokémon is introduced. In the Indigo League, he was...Top 16? In the current season, spoiler[Ash loses in the final match, meaning that, overall, he earned second place.] If anything, as Ash (usually) improves on his tournament position every arc, it shows that he and his training methods have slowly improved if he's able to turn similar low level Pokémon into strong fighters by the end of the season.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
So are we gonna act like the Chunin Exams wasn't an amazing arc? And an exclusion of the Dark Tournament in YYH is an absolute travesty. Otherwise decent list I guess.

It was "amazing" only in that Kishimoto literally ripped it off wholesale from Togashi's Hunter Exam. I watched the latter series after the former, and almost every episode left me thinking, "Dear lord Kishimoto you really didn't have an original thought in your head, did you?" I will agree with you on the exclusion of Yu Yu Hakusho: I've never seen it myself, but it's about the first thing I think of when someone mentions "tournament arc."

And man, I could easily pick about 9 or 10 options for that poll. As it stood I had to give the nods to Origa's mind-blowing "Rise," the eternal masterpiece "Tank!", and a bit of Lupin, because come on, that invented cool openings.
The concept of tournaments wasn't developed by Togashi. It's obvious that Kishimoto did most likely use some of HxH as a sort of template, but there was enough unique moments in the Chunin exams to me that warranted it's own quality.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
So are we gonna act like the Chunin Exams wasn't an amazing arc?

It's was good arc......as a good tournament arc?......no.

Correct me If I'm wrong but aren't tournament arcs supposed to you know have decisive ends not be blown off in the middle of it?

Top Gun wrote:

It was "amazing" only in that Kishimoto literally ripped it off wholesale from Togashi's Hunter Exam.

Togashi must not have an original bone in his body either as Tournament arcs were a thing long before HunterXHunter hell YuYuHakusho which he also wrote had a Tournament arc.

KH91 wrote:

To be pretty fair the Yu-Gi-Oh anime had 3 different tournament arcs not just Battle City.
Well I think you are wrong because there's been a plethora of tournaments in the history of manga that have been interrupted yet are still very much tournaments. DBZ and the Grand Magic Games come to mind. So that is why I consider it a tournament arc in that sense.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

*looks at top 7*

Oh, look. There's Dragon Ball in the article mentioning its numerous tournaments then specifically picking one to talk about. Oh, look. There's Pokemon with its numerous tournaments being mentioned, but only one is chosen. Your point?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Top Gun wrote:

I'm not talking about the general concept of a tournament arc. There are a myriad of specific details and mechanics in the Chunin exam (and indeed about the characters participating in such) that are so overwhelmingly similar to what Togashi wrote earlier as to deny any possibility of coincidence. This is something that observers of both series have pretty widely acknowledged for years now.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly I haven't seen a few of these but I do agree with Flame of Recca and I quite enjoyed that part of the series alot more than other anime with tournament arc

As for the poll I chose "One Day" (One Piece), "Sakamichi no Melody" (Kids on the Slope) and "Sakura Mitsutsuki" (Gintama), the last one especially because of the way they used a mainly dull coloured animation sequence so well) but there are probably a few others I could name like "Hakushu Kassai Utaawase" (Katanagatari) and "Identity" (Chivalry of a Failed Knight) that look pretty cool as well
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Well I think you are wrong because there's been a plethora of tournaments in the history of manga that have been interrupted yet are still very much tournaments. DBZ and the Grand Magic Games come to mind. So that is why I consider it a tournament arc in that sense.

DBZ didn't have any tournaments that were interrupted outside of the one that was held during the Buu arc (which continued on minus half the competitors leaving). Also my issue with the Chunnin Exam isn't calling it a Tournament Arc it's calling it a "good" Tournament arc since it ended without being finished.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The lack of YYH Dark Tournament saddens me, it was one of the strongest arcs in shounen manga history, it was great to see how the characters developed through it and it wasn't included buy Flame of Recca was? what?

Dude it this was the manga then I'd agree with its inclusion, but even the anime feels rushed and the final battle was lackluster compared to the manga, and it didn't even put a real closure to the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5