• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
idkAlan wrote:
Funimation does in fact hire LA, NY, and Canadian VA's, for certain titles, but they try to avoid them because they will then have to pay additional fees simply to hire them, due to unions.

Texas on the other hand is a right-to-work state, which forbids unions from taking "commission" from the actors for their roles or suing companies that use non-union or union actors without paying the union fees.
Hence, why certain LA actors are flown to Dallas, under an alias, to work on a Funimation titles.

The few times that Funimation caves into paying the union fees, for CA and NY, is when their current studio is overworked.

So they will have to outsource a handful of shows to other states, as the workload will increase.

The majority of California anime dubs aren't union productions. That's why it's much more common for Funimation to outsource there than anywhere else.

I don't actually know the status of NY productions.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Now waiting for Viz to partner with Sentai Filmworks lol. And that would leave Aniplex and Rightstuf (Nozumi) and Sunrise as the only companies. Aniplex and Sunrise are fine with their own shows and dubs/subs - and Rightstuf is not primarily in the licensing business as it is in sales. Times are changing.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

For anime dubs, it's almost always non-union there.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Concerned, as I can see why they would partner with each other against the likes of Amazon and other big time streaming sites. Don't think they would merge and be a monoply, but can see other players like Sentai getting hurt. Didn't realize licensing was going high again. Another downturn coming?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
So I hope it does not take another decade for lack of op/ed subs and censorship to become yet another relic of the past.

Didn't you read ANY of the responses on this subject? The whole separate license? The lack of uncensored materials? No? You just skimmed it?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
They would do this after both sites lose their respective Milky Holmes seasons.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Primus wrote:

Actually, do you think they could afford to dub Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh in New York for over 15 years (18 years for Pokémon), if they had to pay union fees? Those aren't really high-budget productions, are they?
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Primus wrote:

Actually, do you think they could afford to dub Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh in New York for over 15 years (18 years for Pokémon), if they had to pay union fees? Those aren't really high-budget productions, are they?

Both of those shows have TV deals in multiple countries, so, yes?
peno

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't mean the dub budget is high. The main point of taking the Pokémon dub from 4Kids in 2006 was lowering the dub price and I doubt they would've wanted to go higher, just because they got some TV deals. And in Yu-Gi-Oh I noticed significant decrease in the number of VAs, since 4Kids practically went into bankruptcy, which usually means lowering dub budget. Not to mention even under 4Kids the dub budget wasn't really that big, since they had to save money on pointless paint edits and cuts Laughing
HikariGo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me this is largely intended to try and keep exponentially increasing licensing costs under control, through reducing competition for the best simulcast titles.

Funimation would have had to pay a fortune to get Boku no Hero Academia, but through this partnership the license fee would be lower and they could split the costs with Crunchyroll.

I am sure that Funimation would also love to dub titles such as simuldub ReZero and eventually release that for home-video. This seems like an obvious win-win for both companies. Crunchyroll users would lean significantly towards subtitles releases, and Funimation's towards dub releases, and for dual subscribers this is a win.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Correct, but AT-X is a premium channel. You have to pay extra for it, and most don't have it. I'm also not sure if it's available everywhere in Japan.

AT-X is available on satellite, so it should be available anywhere in Japan.

From what I understand, cable TV is rather rare in Japan.

On the censorship front, I'm more concerned about how titles that start as censored simulcasts and then home video rights are later obtained are handled.

Currently, when Funimation has a simulcast and later obtains the home video materials, the broadcast subtitled version is replaced with the home video version (with all corrections added and censorship removed) for subscribers. The question is, with the subtitled versions residing on CR, will these get updated, or remain the broadcast versions? If the latter, this represents a downgrade back to the old days of "Want the final version? Watch the dub".

I would expect that for Funimation's existing titles that were originally simulcasts but now have the home video versions available on Funimation's site, CR will get those versions, but I would be hesitant to bet anything valuable on that. I don't recall if Grimgar or Psycho-Pass had specific scenes that could be checked for censorship or differences, but once those appear on CR they could be scrutinized to determine which versions CR is receiving.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I don't recall if Grimgar or Psycho-Pass had specific scenes that could be checked for censorship or differences, but once those appear on CR they could be scrutinized to determine which versions CR is receiving.

Grimgar had an incomplete scene during one of the last episodes, and I remember episode 17 or something of Psycho-Pass having a lot of quality issues when it first aired.

It may be worth noting, though, that the Grimgar scene was fixed when it later aired on a different channel, I think.
CloneWarrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay, can I get some clarification on something:

Say I only have a Crunchyroll subscription. Will I no longer have access to any dubs (or at least new ones) unless I get a Funimation subscription as well?

And vice versa, will a Funimation subscription no longer get me any subbed anime?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The hell? The birth of Cruncimation or maybe Funyroll? Anyhow I can only see more dubs and home video releases for streaming shows as a good thing, unless they're sub only.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
CloneWarrior wrote:
Okay, can I get some clarification on something:

Say I only have a Crunchyroll subscription. Will I no longer have access to any dubs (or at least new ones) unless I get a Funimation subscription as well?

And vice versa, will a Funimation subscription no longer get me any subbed anime?

its just the dubs for shows that Crunchy owns that will be moving to funi. Pretty sure the dubs from Media Blasters will stay. most of Funi's sub catalog will be going to Crunchy. they will have handful of titles staying due to licensing contracts
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13