• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: I Am Setsuna

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Sad I'm gonna miss The X Button. I love reading your columns and witty comments in the pics.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Todd, I salute your service to the gaming community. The X button is where I go for infotaining game reviews and news. Good times. However...

Quote:
I hope you'll remember this incarnation fondly, no matter what I said about your favorite games.

You're not allowed to dislike Odin Sphere. Mad
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Ah Dizzy, the girl that disrupted all those wishful pairings. I just wonder how bad it's going to be when people have to accept that in Revelator Dizzy spoiler[is confirmed to be Sol Badguy's daughter].

While never outright stated, def implied more than enough times. Which if true would make Sol and Ky's relationship even more hilarious.
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
This column always seemed a little weird to me given some of the stances the writer took. It seemed to clash with it being on an anime website.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It was a good run, Todd. Makes me more than a little sad to see this column end. I've read your work through some tough times, when the X-Button was the only thing I had to look forward to that week. You really did a lot to keep the flag waving for 80's & 90's video game nostalgia, really doing your best to trudge up unsung obscurities and the odd places where video games would intersect with other parts of pop culture.

I also really appreciated all the music allusions! I haven't met too many people who like old anime and hardcore punk AND video games. I've always wanted to blog about the odd tangents between punk/anime/other media, maybe I'll finally get around to it following your departure.

Still, over the past year or so I could tell your enthusiasm wasn't there, and it's not fun to read something when the author's heart isn't in it. Thanks for keeping at it as long as you have though, and most of all, thanks for always writing how you actually felt about something. You were doing it for a long time, before it was cool and before all the witch-hunting. You've been an inspiration.

PS - Back when you were shilling the Sky Crawlers game on the Wii, you mentioned that you've never seen Mamarou Oshii laugh or smile. If you'd like to see both, you ought to seek out the BBC documentary series "Japanorama". In the first episode, they interview him briefly, and he seems downright ebullient. Needless to say the conversation includes basset hounds.
HermanCornelius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Todd, thank you for your exhaustive effort, insightful commentary, continually fresh and creative humor, and classy application of an expansive vocabulary throughout all these years of output in The X Button.
Like others have stated, I also have had either insufficient time or interest to become personally invested in games and gaming for many years, but continued to visit this column simply to learn your take on the developments of the week, and to take pleasure in the finely crafted manner in which you presented it.
Strength and wisdom to you in all your endeavors, sir.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I always wanted to make the game section for ANN but after reading your column for a while (since the beginning) I gotta say that I couldn't have done it better.

We share the same likes except my distaste for Valkyrie Profile. Twisted Evil JK, Enix 4 Life!

I grew up with the Atari crash but was picked up by Nintendo and since have owned just about every home console you can name.

Are you not the guy that did "Got Game" for radio commercials? I would hear it all the time in Vegas. Your voice sounded familiar in the past anncast. Thanks for the great column looking forward to the last x button.

The characters in I am Setsuna remind me of the Threads of Fate/Dewprism characters or 98 data entry as you said.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
I wasn't really interested in the vast majority of games featured in this column over the years, but I always made a point to read it anyway just because I enjoyed your writing style so much. Thanks for 8 years of chuckling at alt-text!
Smarf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I really love the X-Button and will definitely miss it when it goes. There was enough depth and breadth in the writing to keep me happy, with a focus on games I found appealing too. I hope everything goes well with your future endeavours, Todd.

On that note, is there something similar to the X-Button floating around somewhere that I can migrate to?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Like others are saying, it'll be sad to see The X Button go the way of the dodo. While I wasn't always a fan of Todd's general snarkiness at times (granted, I'm not always big on snark in general), he still always delivered really great articles that covered a wide variety of topics within gaming. I am curious what its replacement is going to be like, but we'll just have to wait, I guess.

I still think the most amusing bit of X Button was the very beginning, though, where readers were going crazy about how Todd used the katakana "baton" instead of the proper "botan" in the logo for the first couple of articles way back in 2008. Having just checked those old articles (Oh god, did it really start up back in '08? I was still in college back then!), the logo uses the proper katakana, but I will always remember the fervor that came about from such a small error.

At the very least, it's nice to know that Todd will be doing articles here on ANN, so there's that.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't always agree with your views Todd, but I still enjoyed reading the X Button every week, so I will miss it in its current form. Looking forward to your future work and the new X Button in the future Smile
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Aw. On an internet full of terrible game journalism, this column was decidedly readable. Although I think I mainly just read it because I like rollover text...
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
I can't believe it's been 8 years, crazy how time flies. While I completely disagree with you on "God of War", this was a nice column. Hopefully the next one will be just as good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2