• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Reveals More Characters, Cast, 2017 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
I didn't keep up with casting news, so now I'm dissapointed that L isn't played by a British actor.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

L being abnormally ultra-pale, like he's never seen the sun, doesn't work when you're black.

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Not sold on L considering that he was the palest thing alive in the original series,

Him being pale isn't a super necessary part of his overall character lol. Being pale is a side effect but doesn't put any actual hindrance on the major points of who he is.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:

I don't care myself, but walw6pK4Alo made a good point about why L being black might be problematic.

No it isn't. See above comment.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:

I imagine most people don't care about the majority of the cast being American because a live-action adaptation of Death Note with an all-Japanese cast already exists. What would be the point of doing it again, especially when this one is being made primarily for an American audience?

Because this story is flexible for mainstream audiences. US Audiences. Not just hardcore anime fans.

DaisukeReds wrote:
I don't care about the actors, though that L casting change is rather.. unnecessary.

Sounds like you care, what is particularly "unnecessary" about it?

theycallmekorn wrote:
It's not the black part that bugs me about L's casting. The guy just doesn't look expressionless enough.

Well that's because this is a candid photo. A lot of people don't always look the same way when they actually perform their roles.

Seriously, what is with people wanting him to be British?

Are you guys only hoping that he is WHITE British?

What if he does play a British detective? Would that make you happy? It's painfully obvious people are just saying they wish he was not black.

*sigh* America is pretty diverse. People didn't seem to mind that Scarlett Johansen was doing a lead role despite the history of whitewashing in Hollywood but when we have a diverse cast the first thing you really want to point out is his skin, whether blunt or subtle, it's there.

Hey mods. Sorry if I may seem blunt. Hope I didn't seem too out of line there. Neutral
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
. People didn't seem to mind that Scarlett Johansen was doing a lead role despite the history of whitewashing in Hollywood but when we have a diverse cast the first thing you really want to point out is his skin, whether blunt or subtle, it's there

I'm pretty sure every thread about the Ghost in the Shell movie has has complaints about Scarlett Johansson being white and playing a Japanese character. One of them was just locked a few hours ago.

-Stuart Smith
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
. As for the complaints that the actor is too attractive, these are just their publicity photos. Presumably they'll make him look dweebier in the show.

lmaaoo where are the complaints that the actor is too attractive? Y'all gotta be kidding me, he's so ugly looking lool i guess in that aspect he does fit the bill to play L lol. (even tho i think L is actually handsome but not this actor guy)

Last edited by ashura zoldyck on Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
I am ok with this. Looking forward to it!
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Im going to miss yagami kun and yagami san and Lighto kun Sad

Why they have to become Turners, at least Watari stays JPN.

Even though Watari wasn't Japanese in the original. He was Brittish.
DaisukeReds

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Him being pale isn't a super necessary part of his overall character lol. Being pale is a side effect but doesn't put any actual hindrance on the major points of who he is.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:

I don't care myself, but walw6pK4Alo made a good point about why L being black might be problematic.

No it isn't. See above comment.

Ugh.. look "lol", just because you think it isn't problematic doesn't mean you are right, and that's how you come across on your first 2 lines, without adding anything substantial whatsoever. It seems to me that you simply want to shove down people's throats that such a change is perfectly acceptable.

tygerchickchibi wrote:

DaisukeReds wrote:
I don't care about the actors, though that L casting change is rather.. unnecessary.

Sounds like you care, what is particularly "unnecessary" about it?

I care? Not really. Simply because I commented? Rather simple-minded.. aren't you?

Anyway, in the end, it doesn't matter what color he is.. It is an unnecessary because it only gets people talking and doesn't add anything. The picture of weird guy won't come across the same way. Was the actor simply hired because he can act a proper L? We don't know, but I'm sure it will still be bad. There is always someone better, and probably one that doesn't betray people's expectations. Plenty won't watch it because of that, so it is a detriment to it. Scarlett is at least pretty and popular, so they can get away with it. Also, the manga was perfect for it's medium, and these characters do NOT adapt properly to reality.
Jeremy Michael Hopper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
I would like to protest the L actor...
Not because he is black...
L is my absolute favorite character in Death Note...
Please recast L...
Wile we are at it recast Light to but more so L.
I myour self will not watch this movie if my favorite
Character is not portrayed right... I hated the
Dragon Ball movie and I'm going to hate this ifor
L is not how I know he is.
Saleri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
What the hell, jesus.

All those americanized names.

The only asian guy in the cast is for a non-asian character.

Just fudge my cast up fam.

(people complaining specifically about L are being hypocrites though since the entire cast is wrong.)
Misconceptions

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I disagree, I hate the casting choices.
No, it's not because L is black.
I feel like the characters should at least resemble the originals. It's not a remake of Death Note, they aren't changing the story or the people (like the new ghostbusters, for example, which was a huge fail...) , they are simply making a film with the same story line and plot of the anime. Why westernize the characters? Is the last name 'Yagami' so off putting to Americans? I can understand with Light's father's name as it is difficult to pronouce but Yagami? And I was hugely disappointing with Mia/Misa. Come on... It's a one letter difference, it's not hard to pronounce. It feels like they are trying dumb the anime down. We aren't stupid. And the one actual Japanese guy is Watari? Watari is one of my favourite characters, and is one of the easiest characters to find an actor with similar features. I feel like changing the character on such a big level is unnecessary.
It's not that I want a whole Japanese cast, I just want to know they are the characters. Nobody is going to look at any of these and think 'oh that's L.' or 'You can tell that's Watari'.. etc
Also, a movie isn't need for death note. To fit that huge TV series in a 2 hour film is near impossible. The are going to have to miss out/change huge parts of the story. Death Note is so intricate and well written that condensing it down means writers having to change the plot slightly.
I feel like they need to stop trying to change something that doesn't need changing. Not a film to get my hopes up for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5