• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus 'Looks Into' Releasing Japanese Voice Track as DLC for Persona 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why it's so hard to grasp why this is such a big deal for people, especially on an anime forum. If someone skips out on a game because of no dual audio I do not see the big deal. There's tons of games coming out all the time so skipping one isn't that big of a loss since there's always games to play. Plenty of other companies release dual audio games to play.

-Stuart Smith
uzuki99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Free DLC I would hope if it's a capacity issue which I severely doubt.

Nah, if they will release it as paid DLC, then it is simply a trick to sell the game at a higher price for those of us that want the original experience. Which its pretty low.

Persona series by all means is capable of licensing the japanese audio for international release and make up for it.

By 2016 any excuse to not have the original audio track in a localized Japanese games is as ridiculous as the stupid excused from Nintendo to region lock games and consoles, it just isn't acceptable, if you love or dont mind english dubs great, this does not affect you, bravo, for others like me its a deal breaker, period.

Last edited by uzuki99 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sango chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
It was obvious from the start that P5 was going to be English dub only. I really don't have that much of a problem with P3 and P4's english dubs. except a couple of voices here and there. Fuuka's does kinda irk me a bit, but is still tolerable enough.

Persona 4 Arena did have a dual audio. Arena 2 also has dual audio but for the fighting portion only unfortunately. I really don't like Labby's english voice. The same with Sho. love vic, but hate sho's voice he did. The Dvd's had the Dual audio too. I have no clue why Atlus japan has such a fear with reverse importation. it's just ridiculous.

I'm fine playing the dub as long as their dubbing quality is still good. I would also be happy if I can also play it in the Japanese dub as well. so I do hope they go through with it for the people who also wants the japanese dub. but if the DLC is over priced, they can keep it. as much as I love Nana Mizuki, I am not paying more the 2 dollars for the DLC.

Like what other people said, IFI, NISA, GUST who are much, much smaller companies give us the dual audio for free. actually except for the Neptunia series which I play in both eng and Japanese Dubs, I can really only play the other series from these companies in japanese. as tolerable as I am to english dubs... the alterier(sp?) series, Mana Kheima(sp?) series and the Ar Tonelico series, these I just can't....
SNaGem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="DmonHiro"]
yurigasaki wrote:
Look, I don't want English dubs. Ever. I want the original voices. I will not buy without the original voices. If P5 has low sales and they decide not to license any more P games because of it, I won't care, because to me an English dub only version is the same as no localized version at all..

Just want clarification: What did you do with all the previous entries in the series? Was the English audio so reprehensible that it rendered the game unplayable? Because here's the thing: to feel this strongly about it, you most likely have played the previous entries and enjoyed them, but AFAIK, they were dub-only unless you did some modding or something.

And my 2 cents: I understand that people don't like dubs and I also understand the stacked nature of the voice cast providing appeal- Devil Survivor 2's Japanese cast was also superb (Hiroshi Kamiya, Miyuki Sawashiro, Junichi Suwabe, Takahiro Sakurai, etc.). But most localized JRPGs before the tail end of last gen and this current gen shipped with one audio option - English. And they're very good.

I don't deny that it sounds weird to hear honorifics in English, but other than that, I have found Persona dubs (and, more broadly, most Atlus dubs) to be in the "very good" to "excellent" range as a whole, and they certainly add to my experience.

I do understand if you prefer a Japanese track over an English one, and I think the option should be there in some way if possible, but I think boycotting this game over the lack of a JP track is strange. Boycotting suggests that you feel strongly enough about P5 to warrant such an extreme action, and the only way someone can feel this strongly about it pre-release is to be entrenched in its predecessors. But, assuming you played the localizations, it also suggests you found the dub to be a mitigating negative factor in your overall love of the games.
uzuki99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
SNaGem wrote:

Just want clarification: What did you do with all the previous entries in the series? Was the English audio so reprehensible that it rendered the game unplayable? Because here's the thing: to feel this strongly about it, you most likely have played the previous entries and enjoyed them, but AFAIK, they were dub-only unless you did some modding or something.

You must live in a very small world not to know the games have always being playable in Japanese audio with subs, unofficially however.

Google persona 4 UNDUB, Persona Q undub, Bravely second UNCENSORED, Yokai watch UNDUB, etc etc etc
SNaGem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
uzuki99 wrote:
SNaGem wrote:

You must live in a very small world not to know the games have always being playable in Japanese audio with subs, unofficially however.

Google persona 4 UNDUB, Persona Q undub, Bravely second UNCENSORED, Yokai watch UNDUB, etc etc etc

I knew they existed, though I didn't know it was available back at release and I assumed most played it legally. If you're willing to do that, then fine. I didn't think everyone in this thread did that, but I guess that's possible.
asukas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I had to read someone honest to god compare Atlus not giving us Japanese audio with slavery in the year of our lord 2016

A lot of y'all need to chill out. If you don't wanna buy it that's cool, but it sounds like a lot of you have never supported Persona releases in the first place.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
You can resort to that while having the original. Heck, in some cases they undub part is a patch that you can apply to the original.
I still feel a bit resentful when I do that. "Why do I have to go through hoops to get this feature that should be built-in?".

Still better than having no option at all. I've abandoned a couple of games because of this. Not necesarily because they were utterly awful, sometimes it's just because I KNOW what the Japanese cast is and how it sounds, and every time a character speaks in English with a voice that I dislike or am indifferent to, I start thinking of how much better the other one would be. Then the games turn into a grudgeful trip, playing through them with much contempt and little joy.

So I've stopped buying games like that until it is or can be fixed. Which usually means "just Atlus games".
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm not sure why it's so hard to grasp why this is such a big deal for people, especially on an anime forum. If someone skips out on a game because of no dual audio I do not see the big deal. There's tons of games coming out all the time so skipping one isn't that big of a loss since there's always games to play. Plenty of other companies release dual audio games to play.

-Stuart Smith

People preferring subs over dubs isn't a hard thing to grasp it's the extreme to which they're willing to express that love and dismiss certain things that lack a sub that is however.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
i am honestly so confused as to why people are so indignant about the lack of a japanese voice track (in a game series that has never, in the games I've played, featured one) that they're willing to boycott a perfectly good game.

that kind of 'boycotting' does zero good and in fact harms the localization industry far more than it does any good. dear lord.

Money speaks to publishers and shareholders. Guess what happened when Atelier Ayesha released with only English audio? Fans complained, loudly. Tecmo Koei responded in kind that all future Atelier titles will be dual audio as they have been for years.

Tales of used to be English audio only. It's now becoming more and more likely the series will be dual audio going forward.

NISA releases are nearly all dual audio, or original audio. IFI is in the same boat.

The fact is the people buying these titles enjoy original audio, a lot of them do. With Atlus doing nothing but ignoring them continuously and not providing a valid reason for why they're being ignored it's continuing to annoy more and more people.

Last edited by razisgosu on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm shamelessly a dub guy, all the way. Honestly, there are times when the JP voices make me cringe. That said, I have still bought and enjoyed plenty of games that are JP voice only.

I don't see what the big deal here is.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
something like this should not be DLC
If Atlus has to go out of its way, spend extra money on something that is not necessary to gameplay, and will definitely not have a noticeable affect on the game's sales, then it should probably be paid DLC.

Make no mistake about it, I wish that every game was released with all of its produced audio and subtitle tracks, so fans in censor-happy countries could get the games they wanted the way they wanted them if their native distributor was pushing out the proverbial black-bar-garbage. But, as far as Atlus has said so far, none of the game has been changed. It's more likely than not a licensing issue with the Japanese voice actors, which is an issue that's been covered multiple times on this site across numerous columns and articles. "Why does Crunchyroll have so many K-dramas but not J-dramas?" Here's one of your answers. "Why is X company only releasing Y anime with the English dub?" Here's one of your answers.

There are games with no English track. There are games with no Japanese track. There are games with English and Japanese tracks. The games are released this way because the localization company has justified that the way they're doing it is financially feasible. No English? Company doesn't think the sales will meet the dub cost or that there isn't a worthwhile demand for it. No Japanese? Company doesn't think the sales will meet the licensing cost or that there isn't a worthwhile demand for it.

I hope the Japanese audio gets released as DLC for those that care, but, if it's "a massively steep, uphill request," don't think for a minute that they didn't already consider it before deciding on English-only if other games in the series were dual-audio. And don't expect the same courtesy again if the DLC's download numbers doesn't warrant the same amount of work if the same situation occurs again.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
An English dub costs far, far more money to produce than taking the already existing Japanese audio and paying someone to translate it (which an English dub would also need) and produce a subtitle. If we're talking costs, then it is much cheaper to use the already existing Japanese audio.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
An English dub costs far, far more money to produce than taking the already existing Japanese audio and paying someone to translate it and produce a subtitle. If we're talking costs, then it is much cheaper to use the already existing Japanese audio.
If the English audio is deemed necessary for sales and the Japanese isn't, then the dub-cost is necessary, and the licensing fees for the Japanese audio isn't. This isn't hard to understand. The companies sell the games the way they think will get the most buys out of the people. Example: If Funimation licensed a new Dragon Ball movie, they'd dub it, because they're going to get sales out of that dub. If Toei or whomever says that they can't have the Japanese track, or that it'd cost a lot more than Funimation thinks they'll make back on it, they wouldn't care, because they're not going to get much mileage out of something that the majority of the consumers don't care about.

It's not about 1-1 cost, it's about what the people actually buying the game are paying for vs cost.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a Toei to Funimation thing. This is an Atlus to Atlus USA thing. Atlus owns the rights to Persona. There isn't some random company that owns the Japanese audio. Please do not make misleading comparisons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6