• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Co-Produce 2 New FLCL Seasons

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Quote:
Back for the new season is FLCL series creator Kazuya Tsurumaki, serving as supervisor with director Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass)

This inspires about 0.000000000000000000000000000000001% confidence.

You're right, bringing back the original creator and director is such a mistake Rolling Eyes

Tsurumaki has still got it. His I can Friday by day! Animator Expo short from last year will you give an idea of what the show could look like.

XakonXIV wrote:
No, it was a reboot; all of the members of Section 9 had completely different back-stories from their SAC counterparts, and, in some cases, wildly different physical appearances and character traits (especially Pazu).

No, Shirow himself has said there is no definitive/canon anime version of GITS, so all the shows are separate from each other. Read the afterword in the manga.
Cabron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
>Tsurumaki as supervisor and not as director

Yeah...
This will either turn out good or bad.

Last edited by Cabron on Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
...why are they doing this?

Could we all please read a few pages back, and or at least the original article, and stop asking "Why?"
It's the oldest reason in the world why bad reboots/ancient-sequels get made:

"Why" did we get Tenchi: War on Geminar?
Terminator: Genisys?
The ABC Muppets series?
Basic Instinct 2?
Star Wars: Rogue One?

It's because SOMEBODY (like, I.G., for example) BOUGHT something expired that was lying around for sale, was the only one old enough to remember when it used to be a big hit for the original owners and producers who made it, and now that it was in their own hot lil' hands, they thought they now had the secret golden key to make it themselves...
Sadly ignoring the basic fact of why the original owner doesn't own it anymore.

(And yes, maybe I am a little resentful for permanently associating FLCL and fans who think "it musta been on drugs"--one of the few anime that probably was--with the network that wanted a show that Looked Like It Was On Drugs, and didn't want any anime comedy that didn't.
The fact that they're back again is just as sadly wishful as the fans who hope the new series will be just like the old one.)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
See ya'll in 2018, this could be glorious or disastrous - interested to see what the outcome will be.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I though about how a FLCL with an adult cast would look like and Scott Pilgrim came to mind. Hm. Something comparable could really work!

@MarshalBanana Arise is a new (4th) continuity and a reboot. Read the companion manga, as a lot changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Tsurumaki has still got it. His I can Friday by day! Animator Expo short from last year will you give an idea of what the show could look like.

Oh, that was him? That was one of my favorite of the shorts! I watched it over and over.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
^Yep, that was him. He directed it and did the storyboards. It was one of my favorite shorts too. Really fun to watch (loved the mecha school girls) and great use of color. I'll have no complaints if this new FLCL looks anything like the short.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Confused Well, that was from left field. Why this?

As long as you're financing sequels how about one for Black Lagoon

Unless, you want it to be all anime original, there's currently not enough manga material for even half a cour. The first arc that comes after Roberta's Blood Trail hasn't even ended, and I think the manga is on hiatus again.

Damn, well I knew there was at least a volume of new material out here in the states that wasn't animated but I don't know how much Japan has. If it was a finished arc it would make a nice OVA like Roberta's Blood Trail, but that's not the case I guess.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
If they are going to make more it should be in the same universe but not the same characters. Predictably we are going to hear "It's not as good as the original" Rolling Eyes

Gainax sold it off so who the hell cares? Toonami apparently can't get enough which is still odd to me being any and most hardened fans have moved on from 4:3 anime at this point. I'm guessing ratings are overriding logic or them not learning from past mistakes. Maybe casual watchers will flock when it hits. Could be the greatest continuation ever. Experience says it won't.
treatment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
hehehe!

so close to 4/1.

could be the most epic trolling by the AdultSwim folks...

Twisted Evil
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
FLCL was really funny and had some really cool animation!

Here's hoping that this does both of those things as well.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
Not too excited about these news. It's been a while since I watched FLCL and I definitely need to revisit it, but it feels like exactly the kind of thing people shouldn't touch because the story is perfectly complete as it is. There aren't many series that feel like that and I honestly have no faith in how this will turn out

Snomaster1 wrote:
So,Toonami's going to do some more "FLCL" seasons. Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this? If I were doing this,I'd have it set in the United States,I'd keep Haruko's name,probably bring in a Japanese voice actress for said Haruko who can speak both English and Japanese for the dubs and then think up whatever weird or strange thing comes into my head. That's what I'd do,but hey,that's just me.

Not.everything.has.to.be.about.the.USA
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Toonami apparently can't get enough which is still odd to me being any and most hardened fans have moved on from 4:3 anime at this point.

Do ya think the new anime would be 4:3?

And they don't need hardened fans - they just need their fans.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Not too excited about these news. It's been a while since I watched FLCL and I definitely need to revisit it, but it feels like exactly the kind of thing people shouldn't touch because the story is perfectly complete as it is. There aren't many series that feel like that and I honestly have no faith in how this will turn out

Snomaster1 wrote:
So,Toonami's going to do some more "FLCL" seasons. Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this? If I were doing this,I'd have it set in the United States,I'd keep Haruko's name,probably bring in a Japanese voice actress for said Haruko who can speak both English and Japanese for the dubs and then think up whatever weird or strange thing comes into my head. That's what I'd do,but hey,that's just me.

Not.everything.has.to.be.about.the.USA

Well it's an American co-production, so technically, this is an American cartoon, as well as an anime. Besides, it's a well known fact that the original FLCL did better in the USA than in Japan, even though it sold well in Japan as well. In other parts of the world, nobody even cares about this show.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the original one even had a coherent story, as far as I can remember it was just random nonsense, a guitar and a moped. Can't say I'm excited, but it will probably be a passable follow-up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11