• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Glitter Force Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Yup, that's usually why edits are done. But Smile Precure lacks a lot of that! The only things from that list in it are it taking place in Japan, and death. And as for the death? It's handled in a way pretty similar to how cartoons here handle it. Like one character's father is dead, but he died before the series, and the only flashbacks we get of him are when he was alive. Precure isn't the only anime that's this way either. When it comes to anime it usually just comes down to the title. Some are more risque by our standards or heavy in cultural differences, while others aren't that different from the cartoons that air here. In general kodomo anime (things like Pokemon, Yo-Kai Watch) tends to carry over well, while shonens like One Piece usually require more editing for kid slots.

The violence level in Pretty Cure alone is probably problematic for American audiences. When action cartoons were still being made, I remember a lot of them used those white flashes to censor actual direct hits being made to people. Since this is Netflix the standards might be looser than what Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were willing to show back then, but the fact these are little girls being brutally beat up and knocked around it might be more of a problem compared to male heroes since violence against females is seen as more taboo in western cultures. Joker and the overall theme of despair would also probably be toned down alot

And not to derail the thread, but heavily edited dubs are still being produced. Digimon Fusion is very heavily edited compared to Xros Wars, and Doraemon had a tons of edits as well. LBX was probably the most drastically altered since they cut out dozens of episodes and skipped certain storyline arcs. Pokemon's always had it's share of edits as well and Yokai Watch has had quite a lot of edits so far. Yu-Gi-Oh is of course still a product of the 4Kids era.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
The violence level in Pretty Cure alone is probably problematic for American audiences. When action cartoons were still being made, I remember a lot of them used those white flashes to censor actual direct hits being made to people. Since this is Netflix the standards might be looser than what Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were willing to show back then, but the fact these are little girls being brutally beat up and knocked around it might be more of a problem compared to male heroes since violence against females is seen as more taboo in western cultures. Joker and the overall theme of despair would also probably be toned down alot

For Saban to be dubbing it alone, means the violence is either not an issue, or that they have found a workaround. While there is a limit to how violent a show for kids can be, the even bigger thing is the lack of blood. The fact that they're magical girls probably helps things too. Some tonedowns are possible, but it's not like the series is as dark as Evangelion or something. The fact the girls are able to counter darkness most of the time in the series (by arguing or proving things aren't as bleak as they seem), makes there not be much need in covering it up.

Guile wrote:
And not to derail the thread, but heavily edited dubs are still being produced. Digimon Fusion is very heavily edited compared to Xros Wars, and Doraemon had a tons of edits as well. LBX was probably the most drastically altered since they cut out dozens of episodes and skipped certain storyline arcs. Pokemon's always had it's share of edits as well and Yokai Watch has had quite a lot of edits so far. Yu-Gi-Oh is of course still a product of the 4Kids era.

Edits are a bit of a different thing. Even an anime with nothing wrong will still have some content removed, solely to make time for more commercials. And while Digimon Fusion and Doraemon (which in Doraemon's case, it seems the edits were requested by Japan themselves) may have edits, the storyline and character personalities are closer to the original. LBX and Yu-Gi-Oh! are more outdated in comparison, but there's some differences there too. Part of the problem with LBX was they were only able to dub half of the show, but it seems they'll actually dub the second season in full. And Yu-Gi-Oh! hasn't even been able to air a complete dub in the US since the original series. It's been a whole year and 4K Media can't even find a channel interested in airing Arc-V's dub in the US.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
There's no sugarcoating it: the preview trailer of Glitter Force is terrible, straight-up. The voices sound too old and the Glitter names just come out sounding out-of-place. Yep, I'm staying away from this dub.

I'm so tired of Laura Bailey. I cannot stand hearing her voice anymore. She is in too many things. Also the recent race controversy with the new Uncharted game....
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I'm so tired of Laura Bailey. I cannot stand hearing her voice anymore. She is in too many things.

Whoa, I didn't know she was that prolific. The only titles that I heard of Laura was Kekkaishi, Soul Eater, and the gaming side of Persona 4.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Whoa, I didn't know she was that prolific. The only titles that I heard of Laura was Kekkaishi, Soul Eater, and the gaming side of Persona 4.

She's a pretty big and famous VA but if your strictly an anime watcher then you don't hear her much at all as she's only voiced a dozen or so roles in anime since 2010.

For video games she's played over a hundred roles in that exact same time period as that pays more.

I personally love her and I never get tired of hearing her but I understand that she is used maybe a bit too much when it comes to video games.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I'm so tired of Laura Bailey. I cannot stand hearing her voice anymore. She is in too many things.

She seems to pop up in quite few JRPGs I end up playing. Lucina in Fire Emblem, Rise in Persona 4, Reimi in Star Ocean 4, Serah in Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, Cheria in Tales of Graces, Dolce in Rune Factory 4, Catherine in Catherine, Hitomi in Devil Hackers. I can see her being labeled as over exposed when it comes to games, but she pretty much all but left the anime industry. Just in Digimon and Soul Eater are her recent roles I think.

-Stuart Smith
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Also the recent race controversy with the new Uncharted game....

She was given that role before the character's look had been decided. Even if that wasn't the case, who cares? Very few voice actors actually look like the characters they portray. That's the beauty of voice acting.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
I wonder what motivation Saban could possibly have for editing this thing. I mean, that's just more effort on their part. Do they really think that people wouldn't watch the show if it were just traditionally translated and dubbed?

Also, I haven't watched any precure except for clips of animation, which can be really beautiful. I may want to watch it but before I do so I have to ask what the ratio is of well-animated fight scenes to the characters just faffing about. It'd have to be pretty dense in the former for me to want to watch it.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
My interest in this show is honestly just curiosity at the moment. I mean what happened to those 8 episodes were they actually cut and if so why? I mean 1 or 2 episodes might be understandable based on what I've heard but 8 is a pretty large number.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
My interest in this show is honestly just curiosity at the moment. I mean what happened to those 8 episodes were they actually cut and if so why? I mean 1 or 2 episodes might be understandable based on what I've heard but 8 is a pretty large number.

We're not sure yet if either of them were just filler episodes or 1 or 2 may be plot related, I head one of the episodes cut mentioned from forum peoples is kinda plot related, and it was supposed to be for a certain character and something. But I guess we'll know soon enough.

Its coming close to be out soon!
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Also, I haven't watched any precure except for clips of animation, which can be really beautiful. I may want to watch it but before I do so I have to ask what the ratio is of well-animated fight scenes to the characters just faffing about. It'd have to be pretty dense in the former for me to want to watch it.

Precure fights range from beautiful and pretty, to fast and frenetic, to outragious and silly. When the Smile PreCure originally faced the Bad End Generals it was more serious and brutal, but when Beauty had her rematch with Joker it was more elegant and graceful. Of course, Beauty was stronger now than she was then.

everydaygamer wrote:

I'm almost certain the Fujiwara episode will be removed, if only for licensing issues. I'm not sure how Japanese celebrities work in foreign dubs, especially in the ones aimed at little kids.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Really interested in watching this but sadly I have no interest in netflix and wont sub just for this one show.

That's exactly how I feel as well!

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Where my concern lies is that Disney Anime hyper canceled Doraemon outright (I'm not sure about the reason behind that)

I don't think they cancelled Doraemon. Sure it hasn't aired on TV for the past few months, but maybe they're just taking it off their schedule for a brief period since they reran it plenty of times. The UK dub had a similar situation on Boomerang UK in which it was suddenly taken off their schedule back in October, but will return next Monday.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah I can't see any news that says Doraemon is canceled and Disney tends to be pretty dumb with scheduling shows as any fan of gravity falls would tell you lol.
Fipse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
Hongqilim wrote:
In that case, I'll watch Smile Precure instead of Glitter Force.

Good luck with that. Since there is no legal way to watch it you really have to go out of your way to find subs. I know when I looked once I couldn't find anything. Newer shows you can usually find but the older ones require some digging.

It is not exactly hard finding a subbed version.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
Well, the series is up now, not all 40, just 20 for now (And then the rest later). Now to watch it and then pass judgment later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6