• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Some Upset Over Change in Parasyte Live-Action Film's Climatic Scene

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh joy, looks like a deliberate attempt at delivering a "message" different from the original was made and it fell flat on it's face. What's worse is that I don't see how it can be fixed without causing more controversy.

Ugh, what a mess.

Mark Gosdin
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Well at least the actress that plays Murano is quite lovely. I wonder if she'll have any more to do than did anime Murano whose only role seemed to be asking "Is it really you, Shinichi?"
Araki

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Lol, people really can find different ways to be offended everyday.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
OK, that's just DUMB. It would have killed both Shinichi and Migi. The reason the rod only killed Gotou in the original was because it was covered in toxins that got into his blood. Also, and this is important, IT WOULD HAVE KILLED SHINICHI AND MIGI AS WELL.

And why the hell would a sing saying "Oppose radioactive waste" be AT A DUMPING SITE?!
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care about the changes one way or the other, but I AM getting reminders of those Azumanga Daioh videos on YouTube that have anti-vaccine PSAs edited into them
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, director, but I gotta side up with Twitter on this one. That change was dumb. I get the point you were trying to convey, but the "toxins problem" is as valid as it is today as it was 25 years ago
nhat

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Stupid directors have to inject their own political statements in an adaption. Do it in your own original movie
levonr

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm more upset about the bad CGI & acting.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And why the hell would a sing saying "Oppose radioactive waste" be AT A DUMPING SITE?!

Protest sign.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Stupid directors have to inject their own political statements in an adaption. Do it in your own original movie

Yeah, I have to agree. It was really bad during the Bush administration. I remember Casshern was totally ruined this way, and I think Devilman was as well. And IMHO, Howl's Moving Castle was also derailed by the director's politics.

I was like, "Yeah, war is bad, I get it. I want to watch these adaptions to escape from the news for two hours."
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Braindead director thinks radiation is bad? So what is light then? What does he think a microwave uses? Guess he doesn't have a cellphone either. And yeah, I know he means ionising radiation, but UV rays are used by police, X-rays are used in medicine and gamma rays are perfectly normal emissions from stars. Is he really that ignorant about radioactive decay inside the Earth keeping the planet warm? Humanity didn't "produce" anything, they all a natural part of the universe and have been since the start.

And to top it all off, he actually inserted a new plot hole inside the story just for some pet cause of his. The guy's an absolute moron.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
He means good. He want to raise awareness of how bad radioactive radiation is. Except that he didn't do his research. If people in the movie universe really dumps radioactive waste like depicted in the anime and manga, wow, Japan...

Illegal dumping and pollution is already a bad problem which we hardly have the solution of, so raising another problem without any answer is not really helping.
The message is properly conveyed: you're an idiot, director.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
-Don't have a problem with changing Dioxins to something more currently controversial. Seems quite suitable for a contemporary version.
-Do have a problem if it is done poorly and creates a bunch of plot holes as a result though. Change is fine. Nonsensical change isn't.
-Also have a problem with demanding the director change it for the BD release though. Look, you can think its a bad decision but at the end of the day it's the decision he made. I don't think you should start editing an existing work just because fans don't like one of your decisions.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
-Also have a problem with demanding the director change it for the BD release though. Look, you can think its a bad decision but at the end of the day it's the decision he made. I don't think you should start editing an existing work just because fans don't like one of your decisions.

Um, do you fail to see the irony here? You claim that one shouldn't edit an existing work but the director was the guy who changed the existing plot in the first place. To send your own words back at you, he may not have wanted toxins because he thought they were no longer relevant, but at the end of the day it was the choice of the mangaka to use toxins instead of something else, so he should have respected that decision.

Instead of criticising fans for wanting change you should understand that they're only responding to the unnecessary and frankly atrociously-written change that the director made to the plot. Had the new script not introduced several new plot holes, and had it not come about simply because of the luddite director's pet peeve, then it wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Why is it always that the people who vehemently oppose (or vehemently support) some thing don't actually understand it at all?
Why are there people who would rather have something to get angry and shout about and... well, to me, it looks like they don't care if they're right or wrong, but to them, the really think that they've done their research because they read one blog post. Or like, a bunch of articles from the same biased source, whatever.
There's this video from one of those late-night talk shows where the person goes around at some organic food thing, asking people if they oppose... whatever the boogeyman of the moment is. And they all say they do. And then he asks them what exactly the thing is, and they all go, "Uhhhh, well.... I don't know, but it's bad. Of course it's bad."
I will never understand how people think it's okay to be like that.
(well, okay, I understand that what people think is okay isn't based on any sort of thoughts, it's just based on what their friends do, and if their friends are people who go looking for some new panic fad to go make signs and shout about...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2