• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' Casts Chris Ayres as Frieza

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:24 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Because to heck with your O.G. DBZ nostalgia.

does linda young even work in the industy anymore though?

besides chris does a great frieza/freeza, he gives him a sense of ''aloofness'' that linda never did

I'm not saying she did a bad job I just think chris is a better fit

besides they used monica rial as bulma in BoG instead of tiffany vollmer and that was fine so I think this will work fine too

besides have you heard chris in the dbz games, he can get eerily close to lindas frieza/freeza at times
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:
Key wrote:
No one else should ever voice Frieza again in English but Chris Ayres; he was my Male Dub Performance of the Year pick a couple of years ago for good reason.

I often don't agree with your end of the year dub picks or dub reviews in general but good to know we're at least on the same page for this.

Of course there always has to be a downside for anything positive...

Chris Ayres as Frieza = YES!

Todd Haberkorn as Jaco = :evil:

Really wish ADR Directors like Sabat would stop casting him in new stuff. Unlikable voice for almost every anime character he plays. :(

"I sure wish they would stop hiring that talented, really popular voice actor! Who was in Korra and several high profile anime! I hate that!"

Seriously, Todd Haberkorn is really high profile right now and a perfect pick for Jaco. While I can understand wanting to go with someone newer, he's a big pull and does well with audiences.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
No surprise at all, though I really hope they find some way to work Linda Young into the film, since she voiced the character for over a decade. She still does some voice acting from time to time. She has a small role in Attack on Titan last year, and still voices Baba. Maybe she could have a cameo in another role.

I don't think it's ever been clear why Stephanie Nadolny was replaced. Back in 2010, she said she'd love to return to the series, but wasn't contacted about Kai. She did do a recent interview though for the Blu-rays. By now, she might just be focusing on other things. Tiffany Vollmer moved to New Orleans to focus on her film production career. No idea about Meredith McCoy, but she IS now back voicing Android 18. Elise Baughman is also still Pan in the video games.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
"I sure wish they would stop hiring that talented, really popular voice actor! Who was in Korra and several high profile anime! I hate that!"

Seriously, Todd Haberkorn is really high profile right now and a perfect pick for Jaco. While I can understand wanting to go with someone newer, he's a big pull and does well with audiences.

Shame that a minority of vocal fanboys/fanboys give the illusion he's well liked unless TPTB who cast him just choose to filter out and ignore any negative feedback/constructive criticism. Rolling Eyes

Read some 4chan or MAL comments and plenty of people loath him and will avoid any dub he has lots of screentime in; people who LIKE dubs in general yet hate him.

Besides there are tons of more talented and popular names than Haberkorn. As for having a character in Korra so what? Blum and Sheh had bigger roles and were significantly more memorable.

Giving Haberkorn another Dragon Ball role is also just lazy of Chris Sabat. He was the new Android 19 in Kai and then voiced Tarble in Raging Blast 2 (and I assume will reprise that role if FUNimation ever gets the Goku & Friends Return OVA out of licensing limbo).
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:

Shame that a minority of vocal fanboys/fanboys give the illusion he's well liked unless TPTB who cast him just choose to filter out and ignore any negative feedback/constructive criticism. Rolling Eyes

Read some 4chan or MAL comments and plenty of people loath him and will avoid any dub he has lots of screentime in; people who LIKE dubs in general yet hate him.

Besides there are tons of more talented and popular names than Haberkorn. As for having a character in Korra so what? Blum and Sheh had bigger roles and were significantly more memorable.

Giving Haberkorn another Dragon Ball role is also just lazy of Chris Sabat. He was the new Android 19 in Kai and then voiced Tarble in Raging Blast 2 (and I assume will reprise that role if FUNimation ever gets the Goku & Friends Return OVA out of licensing limbo).

You can't really expect people to take a point seriously when you cite 4chan as a source.

I for one love Todd's work, his Natsu and Kidd are fantastic. The reason he got so mush work for so long was because he was Funi's go to guy for a male lead, there wasn't really anyone else around, now that they have people like Josh Grelle and Clifford Chaplin I expect we'll see less of him.

Chermi Leigh was like this for a while, she was a big female lead in almost every show. once she moved to LA, Lindsey Sidel, Brynn Appril and Felica Angele split roles that would likely have go to Cheremi had it been a few years prior.

Voice actor favorites ebb and flow natural, someone can be the flavor of the year for a while and then drop off, right now Clifford Chaplin is that guy, he's in everything.

There are also directors who have people they enjoy working with, Chris Bevins casts Greg Ayers in a lot of his stuff (He also casts himself as well), Tyler Walker casts Chermi in his stuff, McFarland loves Sabat and his DBZ cast.

It's not lazy to cast similar people, you go with what you know will sell to more people, Todd the experienced guy, or Johnny from down the road who no one knows. Look what Tyler Walker did with Fairy Tail, casting Michael Johns as Sting was genius, he's got the talent and he was able to market to All the Rooster Teeth Fans
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I don't think it's ever been clear why Stephanie Nadolny was replaced. Back in 2010, she said she'd love to return to the series, but wasn't contacted about Kai. She did do a recent interview though for the Blu-rays.

If she did then FUNi didn't bother to include it in the sets. The season 5 set that it was supposed to be in didn't have it and instead included an interview with Meredith McCoy.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:
4chan - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear this news. I prefer Chris Ayres's Frieza over the old one. But regardless of who they get, I'll pick ANY English dub of Dragon Ball Z (Kai) over the Japanese version any day.
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
They should have brought back Linda Young.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed what I heard of Todd in the YT clips of him as dubbed unmasked Obito.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:

Out of all the opinions people have on dubs, you refers to those two of all places? Why would anybody care what MAL or 4chan thinks of dubs? It's well known that dubs are not well received on either site. Especially not 4chan of all places.

Those people don't hate Todd, no, no, no, no, no, they hate MOST, if not ALL dubs and dub voice actors. Just go on their(dub VAs) profiles on MAL. A lot of comments are negative, let alone topics.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
As a non-native English speaker, I really like Chris Ayres as Freeza rather than Linda Young. Ayres's performance was very close to the character from the manga and Japanese dub.
kamui85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Who is jealous we got an almost simul-dub in spanish release here, and you dont even have a date yet for your crappy funimation thing? nanananan na NANa nanan na

Last edited by kamui85 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how the conversation got to this, but Todd Haberkorn, while a capable actor, is not a great Natsu in Fairy Tail and I probably don't want to hear him as Jaco either, especially considering he's Tarble already. Android 19 is kind of a non-entity who's pretty far removed from this era of DB, while Jaco and Tarble are a little too close together.

Ayres as Freeza was obvious to anyone paying attention.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this summer then. Hopefully it comes to the same nearby theater as the last DBZ film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3