• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Things You Might Not Know About Hideaki Anno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

What happened with Nadia? I didn't know he was involved and I'm interested since I'm currently watching.
there's a series of infamous episodes commonly referred to the island episodes, which were made by a different studio. There is serious drop in quality on those and aside from a couple of key story points most of them can be skipped.

My take away from the ending of EoE was that there is hope that humanity could have a "happy" future, but we are probably too emotionally flawed to ever achieve it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Sigh. Do I really have to explain this in 2015? I guess there isn't a better year to do it, though, if you look at the show.

I mean, this isn't even Ikuhara-level complex. This is a maze on a Friendly's menu.

Do you approach all discussions about media interpretation like the other person is an idiot?

@TandooriJones

That's a great picture of Anno. I actually used it in another column already and thought the claw hands one was funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Miyazaki designed the logo for the currently running Animator Expo series of shorts.

One can only imagine what Miyazaki's commentary on *ahem* a few of the shorts would sound like. To quote Matt Kowalewski, "If you [show] this in front of Hayao Miyazaki, he closes his eyes, strokes his beard, and nods."

Joking aside, I'm sure he generally supports the idea of burgeoning young talent with understanding, like a father supports his kid's weird hobbies.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:

What happened with Nadia? I didn't know he was involved and I'm interested since I'm currently watching.
there's a series of infamous episodes commonly referred to the island episodes, which were made by a different studio. There is serious drop in quality on those and aside from a couple of key story points most of them can be skipped.

The deserted island/Africa episodes weren't made by a different studio, but they were helmed by a different director, Shinji Higuchi. Anno asked him to work on those 12 episodes, which he didn't want to have anything to do with, while he focused on the last five.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:

The deserted island/Africa episodes weren't made by a different studio, but they were helmed by a different director, Shinji Higuchi. Anno asked him to work on those 12 episodes, which he didn't want to have anything to do with, while he focused on the last five.
oops. my mistake. For some reason I though Gainax had farmed those episodes to another studio. I knew Anno wasn't involved at the very least. I can tolerate some of the island episodes, but they are still a blemish on a series that is otherwise a masterpiece. I absolutely hate the short filler where they go to Africa though. It felt totally out of place.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

@TandooriJones

That's a great picture of Anno. I actually used it in another column already and thought the claw hands one was funny.

Fair enough!

And it is, but I just found it misleading. Although I guess it's misleading about something that doesn't really matter.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised that himura is on this list. for one thing he was just a solider just like everyone else during the meji revolution when he was known as battousai the slasher. i can't really call him an assassin.

makoto? yes. however i am more surprised that aoi shinamori or even saito from the shinsagumi arent on those list cause those two are definitely assassins.

Quote:
Of course, if you've seen the film's ending, it thoroughly flips off anyone hoping for a positive conclusion to the show.

which is why this series have one of the most confusing if not frustrating ending. people was pissed off at the TV series ending, even more pissed at the movie's ending. and now the manga unfortunately have made the ending even more confusing. though it haven't pissed people off as much, but its definitely a head scratcher. lets hope that the rebuild movies have an better ending for the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calculus20

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
How is Hei in 4th place? The dude is a straight up assassin from head to toe. He is the CHINESE ELECTRIC BATMAN. He's seriously unique in the anime world.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:

Thank you both! I'm not that far in Nadia so it'll be awhile before I get there, but I'll keep my eye out for this section to see if I can tell the difference in directors.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
2. His college classmates would also become major industry folks

For the record, there's a manga about their stories; Anno is the one with white opaque glasses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
Only thing I can say is only the rebels and unconventional minds win in entertainment business.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
So, which character "was" he in Otaku no Video, again? Haven't dug out my old VHS in years.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
2. His college classmates would also become major industry folks

For the record, there's a manga about their stories; Anno is the one with white opaque glasses.

If you are referring to Blue Blazes (Aoi Honoo), it got a drama adaptation last year and it was awesome. I just love that Shimamoto/Honoo thinks of Anno as his rival even though Anno doesn't do anything to provoke Shimamoto in a very rival-ish way. Shimamoto just thinks of Anno as his rival.

Speaking of which, the scene in the drama where Anno recognized that the Godzilla in the diorama is the Godzilla from Godzilla vs. King Kong was awesome. Same goes with all the Ultraman references he did. And then there's this scene where he's disappointed that one of his colleague's sister didn't watch Gundam and decided to "educate" her with Gundam by watching the series while waiting for said colleague.

Speaking of Anno being a toku nut, Evangelion is an obvious Ultraman deconstruction.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
I have read and watched all of Kenshin and Battousai was an assasins. The author called him one and Kenshin consideren himself as such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ughhh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
In regards to the interpretation of EoE:

I'm not sure what penguintruth said in his reply, but I think it is worth clarifying that spoiler[Yui specifically states that anyone with the will to return can do so, so its not necessarily the case that Shinji has wiped out all of humanity for good.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4