• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live Tour of Newly Discovered WWII Musashi Battleship to Be Streamed with English Narratio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
People give so much shit about how obsolete and useless these behemoths were, but Musashi took more hits than all of the battleships at Pearl Harbor combined. Japan might done better if they converted all of the resources and energy to more aircraft carriers, but nothing was going to help the incompetency in the IJN's leadership, and the lack of fuel, and the lack of veteran pilots by the end of the war. They let these ships sit at anchor instead of putting them to work, but imagine if they had had a post-war career like the Iowas did. Not obsolete, just mishandled.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
People give so much shit about how obsolete and useless these behemoths were, but Musashi took more hits than all of the battleships at Pearl Harbor combined. Japan might done better if they converted all of the resources and energy to more aircraft carriers, but nothing was going to help the incompetency in the IJN's leadership, and the lack of fuel, and the lack of veteran pilots by the end of the war. They let these ships sit at anchor instead of putting them to work, but imagine if they had had a post-war career like the Iowas did. Not obsolete, just mishandled.

Yeah I have a fondness for these WWI and II battleships. When naval battles were fought by heavily armoured ships firing at each other until one blew up. Dam submarines had to ruin it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Torpedos ruined everything, even Jutland. Jellicoe didn't pursue the retreating Germans because he feared they'd launch torpedoes.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
This is very interesting to read. Will check it out when I have a chance. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Torpedos ruined everything, even Jutland. Jellicoe didn't pursue the retreating Germans because he feared they'd launch torpedoes.

He lost the range in the evening, because he chose to evade a torpedo attack that was already taking place. What made him stop the pursuit was not having a reliable intel about the German whereabouts until the next morning, when they were already far away.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo Wrote:
Quote:
People give so much shit about how obsolete and useless these behemoths were, but Musashi took more hits than all of the battleships at Pearl Harbor combined.

But they were obsolete and doomed. It didn't matter how many hits it took, without air cover the Musashi was doomed. The last run of her sister ship the Yamato was a suicide run to keep her from being captured.

The reason for existence of the battleship was to fight other battleships. With the advent of the aircraft carrier that simply wasn't going to happen unless one or both sides messed up. Yes the Iowa was useful for shore bombardment in VN but not so useful as to justify building the ship if it hadn't been already available.

I can still remember when we passed the Iowa at sea off Cape Henry. She was beautiful.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Musashi and Yamato were awesome vessels, the only Super Battleships ever made. Not just enormous, they were also beautiful, and wonderful feats of engineering. But unfortunately they suffered from numerous design flaws - not surprising, given that no-one had ever attempted anything like them before - and contributed very little to the war effort. The Japanese would have been better off placing those gigantic 18.1" cannons, the scores of AA guns and the stupendous armour belts onto various islands around the Pacific in the form of impregnable fortifications. It wouldn't have saved the Japanese but it would have been a far better use of resources than to build two expensive and impractically oversized battleships.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The Musashi had its chance at Leyte Gulf. If the admiral hadn't lost his nerve it and its supports could have raised a lot of havoc at the beachhead and against any of the older battleships sent to counter it. It would have been sunk anyway, but it would have gone down covered in glory instead of just sinking.

I'm just as glad it didn't. I think my uncle was part of the invasion force and got a few months more of life this way.
jree78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The problem the Japanese had during ww2 was that they attacked the wrong country they should have invaded Russia for oil instead of the South Pacific. Half the world would be speaking German, Italian, and Japanese so it was the best thing for the world that they did not.
otakunomike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
The Yamato could have had a chance at Leyte, the Musashi was sunk on the way to the battle. Arguably the loss of the Musashi the day before helped unhinge Admiral Kurita enough that when Taffy-3 put up its valiant last stand he didn't want to risk fighting on. Indubitably if her breaks through at Samar then the Yamato and the rest of the Central Fleet would have absolutely devastated the marines on Leyte.

On a more purely theoretical observation, the Japanese never should have been even that close to succeeding at Leyte but Halsey was such an arrogant madman he pulled the Third Fleet (which was responsible for the sinking of the Musashi and had the airpower to take out the rest of the fleet) away chasing after Japanese carriers that lacked any more places. If Halsey stays where he's supposed to be then the Battle of Leyte turns into an even worse massacre for the Japanese than it became in reality
Uokel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo Wrote:
Quote:
People give so much shit about how obsolete and useless these behemoths were, but Musashi took more hits than all of the battleships at Pearl Harbor combined.

But they were obsolete and doomed. It didn't matter how many hits it took, without air cover the Musashi was doomed. The last run of her sister ship the Yamato was a suicide run to keep her from being captured.

The reason for existence of the battleship was to fight other battleships. With the advent of the aircraft carrier that simply wasn't going to happen unless one or both sides messed up. Yes the Iowa was useful for shore bombardment in VN but not so useful as to justify building the ship if it hadn't been already available.

I can still remember when we passed the Iowa at sea off Cape Henry. She was beautiful.

It wasn't to keep her from being captured it was to run her a ground and use her as an artillery platform
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
@Uokel
That was the plan, the idea was that she would die in battle rather than being captured anchored in port. There is some serious doubt that the people in charge actually thought she would get there though. Either way she wasn't expected to survive the process.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Musashi was sunk October 24, 1944 during the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea. Over 1,000 of the crew on board lost their lives.
For this reason I find it somewhat disturbing and quite frankly repulsive that the producers of Kan-Colle think it's acceptable to anamorphic rusting war graves into cute girls. It’s just too f**kup. There was nothing cute about young boys and men burning alive and/or drowning on board a burning sinking battleship on a last gasp suicide mission. Sick. Rolling Eyes
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I find it somewhat disturbing and quite frankly repulsive that the producers of Kan-Colle think it's acceptable to anamorphic rusting war graves into cute girls. It’s just too f**kup. There was nothing cute about young boys and men burning alive and/or drowning on board a burning sinking battleship on a last gasp suicide mission. Sick. Rolling Eyes

For better or worse, I don't think anything is sacred when it comes to anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I find it somewhat disturbing and quite frankly repulsive that the producers of Kan-Colle think it's acceptable to anamorphic rusting war graves into cute girls. It’s just too f**kup. There was nothing cute about young boys and men burning alive and/or drowning on board a burning sinking battleship on a last gasp suicide mission. Sick. Rolling Eyes

For better or worse, I don't think anything is sacred when it comes to anime.
I know if I was a surviving family member of one of those dead sailors I'd be very upset and insulted. It's disrespectful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2