• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Greatest School Teachers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
Don't know any of the characters on this week's list. Though, will soon be getting around to watching Assassination Classroom. Laughing

As for the poll, I can't go past The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. First time that I've actually read the source material of an anime series before seeing the anime.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Don't know any of the characters on this week's list.

What, not even Minamo Kurosawa's inspiring, progressive stance on high-school sex education? Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcax4v8R-WU
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
After reading the title I was about to question your whole credibility if you didn't add Onizuka on this list. Glad I wasn't disappointed lol.
lys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I don't know if I could call him the greatest teacher, but And Yet the Town Still Moves Natsuhiko Moriaki is definitely one of the more endearing teachers. Despite his frustrations, he never gives up on Hotori and genuinely cares about doing the right thing for his students.

Ahhhh, Moriarky the nemesis!!! I agree, he is a great teacher, and dedicated to his ideals. His trials and tribulations with Hotori give me some of the biggest laughs in the series. Pretty sure I've been in tears laughing a few times :D
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess Satan's Toenail probably doesn't really belong, no, but I support the above suggestions of Onsen Mark. He made a conscientious job of a very tough assignment.
tehyar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Kudos for cool and popular choices, but nobody tops Yukari Tanizaki.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Don't know any of the characters on this week's list.

What, not even Minamo Kurosawa's inspiring, progressive stance on high-school sex education? Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcax4v8R-WU

Laughing I wonder what she said to those kids!
SystematicChaos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
What? No Edajima Heihachi? Utter blasphemy.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that you got 2 rough types. Kumiko from Gokusen and Onizuka. It's funny that Koro is on the list. I was just reading about Assassination Classroom in the last Otaku USA and it sounds interesting. Then it shows up on this list.

Of course the cat teacher from Princess Tutu is always a hoot. I mean the dance teacher is a cat.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Saw number one coming from a mile away. Razz

lets not forget number two. we all had to knew that onizuka and yamaguchi would get in the top two list by far.

though the biggest surprise is that GTO haven't gotten an anime remake to be more faithful towards the manga since that series had to use that ending due to the issues with the manga. not to mention that gokusen haven't even been released in the US at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
^
The Gokusen was released in the US by Media Blasters/Anime Works about 10 years ago.
I have the three original singles.
It has probably been out of print for about seven years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Of course the cat teacher from Princess Tutu is always a hoot. I mean the dance teacher is a cat.

Although, of course, since all the residents of the town are famous ballet characters, he's "really" Puss In Boots from Sleeping Beauty--
His obsession with getting m-m-MARRIED!!, however, think is more Japanese-folklore culture.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Heh. He's called a Great Teacher, so of course he has to rank first.

I almost chose Ninja Slayer on the poll, but I nearly forgot that BBB is coming out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For hottest, Please Teache's Mizuho Kazami I think should be on that list.

I'll second this.

It think this list should be renamed from 6 Greatest to 6 Most Prominent anime school teachers. There have been some others that I think don't have major roles but are worth mentioning. For example:

Figure 17 the way the teacher talks Tsubasa out of her shell is excellent.

I always liked the way that Anita's first teacher in ROD worked with her.

Although he is never on screen, any teacher that gives Haruhi detention is worth a mention.

And who could not like the childlike but oddly mature Komoe Tsukuyomi in the Railgun/Index franchise?

And although they aren't actually teachers, the five dojo masters in Kenichi's The Mightiest Disciple really get the job done.

Since it is a fact that the base of so many anime is the school setting, too often they are scripted with no teachers present at all. It is almost like it is too much work to depict them. That's too bad really but anime that focus on good educators make up for it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Although, of course, since all the residents of the town are famous ballet characters, he's "really" Puss In Boots from Sleeping Beauty--
His obsession with getting m-m-MARRIED!!, however, think is more Japanese-folklore culture.

Puss In Boots was part of Sleeping Beauty? Hmmm...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5