• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maid Sama! English Dub Cast Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 am Reply with quote
While I like Monica Rial, It feels like she's in every other anime series so far. I have like 4 or 5 animes that have her as some kind of VA in them. Either Index, Himari, Stocking, take your pick, those are just the ones off the top of my head. Again, I'm not bashing her, but really there isn't somebody else qualified? I know there aren't that many Voice Actresses to choose from, but that's why there are bunch of people on youtube fandubbing or lending their voices for a bunch of cool things that are just screaming to be noticed by VA companies.
anifani

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
My DVD's arrived about 2 weeks ago. I had been anxiously awaiting these for about a year... when I first heard there would be a dub.

I've watched up to episode 17, and am thoroughly enjoying my purchase, as well as the dub voices.

Everyone's opinion is different, but mine is positive this time.

Thanks for the dub Sentai!
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:35 am Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
While I love Monica and I think she's easily one of the most talented actresses in the voice over field today, this was a complete miscast. They should've done someone with a more sweet voice like Cherami Leigh or Brittney Karbowski. If they did I probably would've given this show another shot.

This. I also love Monica, but her voice did not suit Misaki at all. I thought David Matranga sounded okay as Usui, though.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
I was surprised to see a news article for something that I watched two weeks ago.
I had forgotten that my copy of the Maid Sama Blu-ray arrived a month before the official release date.

I thought that Monica Rial did an excellent job as Misaki. She expressed Misaki's different moods well and she sounded like a different, and much younger, person when doing the young Misaki in the flashback sequences.

I had already watched the subtitled DVD release at least four times because I really love this show, and Misaki.
Since I prefer dubs and enjoy Maid Sama so much, I was really looking forward to this release. I was a bit worried that I might have had my hopes too high and would be let down. But I was not at all disappointed.

The dub made the show even more enjoyable.
Monica Rial was the main reason for that, but Luci Christian was also great as Aoi. I actually wish that Aoi had been a more prominent character so that I could have heard more from Luci.
The entire dub cast was good. It seemed to me that all of the voices fit the characters. There were none that sounded wrong.
Santry Rush as Shintani was the only one that I did not care for much, but I never did like that character.

I have now seen Maid Sama at least five times, and have read the first eight volumes of the manga at least three times.
I will definitely watch the show again. Even though it has been only two weeks since the last time I am very seriously considering watching it again right now.
After hearing this dub I doubt that I will ever watch it subtitled again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Not really liking this art style. The eyes look larger than normal and exaggerated like the old anime art style, which I am not a fan of. To everyone who is conflicting over this because of the dub by Sentai, I propose a solution: Watch the sub. Maybe it's just me, but I think japanese fits anime much better than english.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
While I haven't seen the dub, for the people complaining on the dub, it's probably better than the Animax dub since those and Odex dubs have often been regarded as really horrid (I actually saw a YT clip of the Odex Luffy and some people were saying the 4kids dub was not as bad).
Jex2193

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Ok, I don't mind Monica as a VA, but half her characters are annoying or her voice just doesn't fit them. I was kinda excited when I heard this was getting dubbed so I could watch it with my sister, but now I don't know if I want to watch it anymore. Neutral
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised to see Jad Saxton's name in there since there don't seem to be a whole lot of Funimation actors that make the trip over to Houston these days unless they've been working for both companies since the ADV days.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
@ Jex2193

I can understand not wanting to invest money, or time, in something that you might not like, but I think that you are being a bit hasty.

There have actually been few complaints here about Monica's performance from people who have actually heard it.

At least three of the detractors have not heard the dub at all, and two of them are obviously just trolling.

There are also some who seem to be unhappy because Monica Rial is getting too much work. I do not understand that, but different people have different reasons for why they like or dislike things. But those people do not seem to be complaining about this particular performance, unless I am misreading the posts.

The fact that I like the performance is no more meaningful than the fact that some others do not like it. But since you have a good reason for listening to the dub I think that you should consider it more seriously.

Last edited by Touma on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Monica is a perfect voice actor, but her skills are wasted at Sentai. No matter how great the VA, if the director is lousy (and most Sentai ADR Directors are lousy), the talents of the VA can, and usually will, suffer as a result.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
An interesting choice...

When I read the manga, I imagined it as a Viz title and Michelle Ruff as Misaki (it was a simple time). When it became Sentai, I thought Luci Christian could be a suitable replacement. Now with Monica...well I'll just have to wait and see.

Watamote and Maria+Holic were great (not as perfect as Yu Kobayashi, but who the f*** is?), and Another was meh. She does have great range though, so I guess I should just be patient and wait to hear how this pans out.

Frankly, since resurfacing Jessica Calvello would make a pretty cool choice.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
InuYashaCrusade wrote:

Everything that I have ever heard Sentai dub is trash, same with every character Monica Rial has ever dubbed. Overuse voice actors more, Sentai. Keep churning out crap dubs like no tomorrow.

Ya know you could simply just watch the sub track. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, even if I think you are exaggerating a bit saying every single thing a company has done is crap, but simply whining and moaning really doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Personally I'll have to hear it before I make any judgments. I've thought certain actors were cast wrong before and they did a fine job. And vice versa. If the dub is bad there's always the sub track. Problem solved. I fail to see why so many people always get so pissy with dub cast announcements. It's not like you have to listen to the dub track.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
I think Monica Rial does a fine job in IS and is quite a good voice actress in general. Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Never ceases to amaze me how much some english speaking otaku seem to hate their native tongue.

its been what i have been saying for so many years. all of the dub haters and they speak the language and is their native tongue.

yea. i would be the first one to admit that rial sounded a little off when doing houki for infinite stratos, but that was all the ADR scriting i bet since the japaneese voice had a very high pitch and the ADR director wanted to match it. and the series is decent enough that S2 got licensed with a dub as well.

and then dont dare get me started with panty & stocking. going on a massive f-bomb on that series sounded way too forceful and not natural. definitely reminded me for vol 7 of hellsing ultimate where its seemed and sounded that the VA for seras wasnt too keen on the potty lines either.

at least miss marie (Black Lagoon's Revy ) made voicing potty lines sound natural and not forcing the line. definitely made me wonder if she actually wanted the role on panty and stocking or the her funi bosses asked her to.

regardless i think this role definitely fits her alley alongs as the ADR Director doesnt throw a massive hissy fit in an effort to match the japaneese script and voices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm a bit surprised to see Jad Saxton's name in there since there don't seem to be a whole lot of Funimation actors that make the trip over to Houston these days unless they've been working for both companies since the ADV days.

she's also in Log horrizen and Sunday without god, still no where as surprising as Tia Ballard being in the Little Busters dub.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Considering that I received this in the mail 3 weeks ago, this isn't much news to me! Laughing

I love how early Sentai release get sent out from rightstuf!

Same for me. I find it really funny how we got the blu-ray/dvds in hand long before this dub announcement came out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3