• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 New Pokémon Manga To Start in Monthly Coro Coro Comics

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauladls

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
is this pokemon adventures or is an other manga?
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
is this pokemon adventures or is an other manga?

This is a third party manga. Adventures has much different artwork and no arc of that manga would have such a novel title. Keep in mind that Tajiri has informally endorsed Adventures as the official Pokemon manga, so it does have a credibility to maintain.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Keep in mind that Tajiri has informally endorsed Adventures as the official Pokemon manga

There's 30+ Pokemon manga. All of them are official.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Fedora-san"][quote="Tenbyakugon"]Keep in mind that Tajiri has informally endorsed Adventures as the official Pokemon manga[/quote]

There's 30+ Pokemon manga. All of them are official.[/quote]

Tajiri said Adventures was what he imagined Pokemon to be like.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Tajiri said that way back when Adventures was in it's Red/Blue arc. That might still hold true, but I don't think he's really mentioned it since.

I'm a little amused that ORAS games have two protags but this manga opted to use the same one twice.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Just to clarify, that comment is taken out of context a lot and misused on the internet to prove PokeSupe's superiority over everything by fans

It was made back when there were only two manga series, the one with Pippi (Clefairy), simply called Pocket Monsters and Special. In that regard, yes, Special is more accurate as the other one had jokes like people getting their testicles grabbed and fondled and mistaken for monster balls.

The statement was made before the anime debuted, as well as the dozens of later manga series. It's really outdated and shouldn't be used. The fact people are saying its "more credible" than other series is absurd. Also keep in mind Tajiri said it before Special went off the deep end with evil gym leaders and champions and other grossly inaccurate ideas
D288

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Just to clarify, that comment is taken out of context a lot and misused on the internet to prove PokeSupe's superiority over everything by fans

It was made back when there were only two manga series, the one with Pippi (Clefairy), simply called Pocket Monsters and Special. In that regard, yes, Special is more accurate as the other one had jokes like people getting their testicles grabbed and fondled and mistaken for monster balls.

The statement was made before the anime debuted, as well as the dozens of later manga series. It's really outdated and shouldn't be used. The fact people are saying its "more credible" than other series is absurd. Also keep in mind Tajiri said it before Special went off the deep end with evil gym leaders and champions and other grossly inaccurate ideas
I do not see how the last part changes anything Rolling Eyes
Adamanto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
Applying statements that were made about a work ages ago to the work in its current form is ridiculous. The fact that this even needs to be explained to people is even more ridiculous. The fact that half of them will disregard the explanation and keep on with their nonsense is just...

Also, Kurenai-ki and Ai-ki? Really, ANN?
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ok i NEVER read any of the Pokemon manga's because I never new where to even start or which one is canon or accurate, so can someone tell me where to start from A to Z? Rolling Eyes
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much every Pokemon media has it's own canon. The games are their own canon, the different manga have their own canon, the anime has it's own canon. There's nothing 'more canon' or 'more accurate' in Pokemon because everything has it's own separate universe, kinda like how the Digimon seasons work for the most part. Even with Pokemon Adventures/Special and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure, they use the games as a starting point but take things in such different directions that they can't really be called an adaption of the games anymore.

That said, Pokemon Adventures and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure [Two different series - Viz dropped the ball on naming there] are the two series that are easily available in English and are both worth a read.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
To help answer your question FlyGuy Pokémon Special by Hidenori Kusaka manga#7781 might be a good start since the story follows more closely to the games then the anime (that and a lot of good things have been said about this manga). With that said though it does take liberties on it's own as it was imply early in discussion. Otherwise there really isn't any order to read the Pokémon manga. Each manga has a continuity of its own. Also because of this none of them are cannon to the main video game (or anime if that was you meant). Really it's up to you what Pokémon comics you decided to read.

The list of manga from bulbapedia might help you in deciding which series you want to read. Most series listed has a story summery of a particular manga.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_manga
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1