• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mona Marshall, Johnny Yong Bosch Lead Doraemon Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
"All data deleted." Anime hyper

I like the show, but have to admit, I was surprised Disney could portray the JP's show's timing as funny by American standards. Laughing
The biggest hurdle the 70's show had to coming over here wasn't the localization or the length, it was the show being stuck in some kind of preschool-comic-strip limbo from the 60's, and that the characters might've seemed too Dick & Jane for US audiences in the 90's--The '14 version steps up the comic timing a bit without ruining the original show, and from the brief clips we hear, Disney seems to be right on it.

(As for idealistic dub-haters still rattling 90's-dub skeletons in front of our faces, I could make jokes about the Japanese WWII soldier that was still hiding out on Gilligan's Island, but that might seem inappropriate in context. )

Veniamin wrote:
We had to sit through amateurish crap like how Cardcaptor Sakura was handled back in Kids' WB. Remember when some episodes were missing and they changed the story a bit?

Yyyyeah. That was what, twelve years ago? Rolling Eyes

(I mean, just saying...do you have any idea how ridiculous you people sound right now in the 10's?
You're re-fighting anime-fan battles from when Clinton was president. Tell ya what, you complain about Cardcaptors, I'll complain about Samurai Pizza Cats, and then we can both go over to Discotek and see if they have both on their Vintage 90's Anime line.)

penguintruth wrote:
Don't support this broadcast. Tell others not to support it. What they're doing is horrible.
Because I care about the art form.

No--You care about impressing us with how MUCH you "care" about the art form, ie. to portray anyone who isn't in the cult niche of the industry as "evil", for said pre-Millennium reasons.

And as for the potential success of impressing us with that strategy, well, hate to be the one to break the bad news, BUT.
Edit: Oh, wait, someone already giggled over it on a blog. Whew, guess I'm not the one, then.

(In fact, we already posted the JP original of the Evil Pizza episode one whole thread ago, and half the pitchfork-wielders looked at it and said, "Oh....Yeah. Guess. Confused "
If you're running behind because you haven't been keeping up with the memos, that's really not our problem to lose sleep over.)
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Why should you care when you are not the target audience? It's like My Little Pony fans losing it over a plot hole.

Because I care about the art form.

I know for some people caring about things that don't specifically apply to them personally is a foreign concept, but that's what I occasionally do.

No disrespect, but please get over yourself.

I've never actually seen this show... If I have some free time and it is on at the same time, I might check it out.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Well, the voice acting does sound great, although I have to side with Stuart Smith that Nobita's voice seems to sound a bit too old for his age. I know I may not be the person within the so-called "kids demographic," but I still share penguintruth's disdain for all of that Americanization that the show went through, though I do understand why FujiPro did what they had to to get the show on air for American TV. That said, I am going to try out the English version of Doraemon to see if I can enjoy it despite the massive editing.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Its great hearing Mona Marshall again since the Digimon Days.

Well, says on her ANN resume she dubbed Puri Gorota on Nodame Cantabile, so guess that made her extra qualified.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
At least I can take solace in that they got the pronunciation of Doraemon's name right. I found that positive out after re-watching the trailer for some time.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Like the cast and the promo, but am concerned with how Disney Anime hyper will treat this show. They did Naruto Shippuden no favors and practically sat on the license for a good while. Want to see good advertising and make it worth it.

dont get your hopes of. this is disney xd. not cartoon network and defintiely not its sister studio adult swim so the chances this will get the crayon shin chan or even a kerro gunso (Sgt Frog) treatment wont be happening at all.

and it shouldnt be surprised their using this cast. they had to have offered the VA a crapload of money to them. though mona marshall is definitely a 180 i didn't see coming.
I was under the assumption she retired after reprising her role as ryoko for the new tenchi muyo ryo-oki OVA as well as the GXP series.

Not to mentioned that since their using Bosch , this was gonna be handled by Studiopolis considering he's a regular studiopolis VA & disney is currently using that studio to handle the voices for all of the marvel series on their channel.

penguintruth wrote:
Don't support this broadcast. Tell others not to support it. What they're doing is horrible.

Well too bad. there are some fans that will support it. and if the endgame is to have more kids to become influenced and have more anime fans, then all the better.

Not supporting is just asking for those fansub groups to grab their clutches in this series.

Worse it will give those uber annoying dub haters and spammers to spew their bullcrap about how bad all english dubs are and all of them are just like 4kids.

Sure its gonna be obvious that the editing is gonna be atrocious, but hopefully it wont be in the same level as detective conan (cased closed) or worse. in the same horrendous level as the horror that is 4k media (aka 4kids) dubs cause if that is the case their just asking for this series to fall flat in their face and those fans will be flocking towards the fansubs online.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Don't worry, they're showing it at 12:30pm on a weekday. It's already set to fail horribly and prevent Doraemon from ever being brought over to the west again.

Be happy.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
12:30pm actually isn't a horrible time slot for the Summer when school is out. They'll probably show some reruns at some point too.

jr0904 wrote:
I was under the assumption she retired after reprising her role as ryoko for the new tenchi muyo ryo-oki OVA as well as the GXP series.

Mona Marshall wasn't the original Ryoko. They couldn't get Petrea Burchard back for GXP and OVA 3, so they cast Mona Marshall who (they thought) sounded like her. It's Petrea Burchard that's been "retired."

Mona's been very active in voice acting. She's been one of the main voice actors on South Park for 15 years, and was in Blue Exorcist and Fate/Zero with anime.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
To be fair, both the apologists and the whiners are wrong here. To accept name changes and the like is pretty dumb. I mean Spanish kids get the original names and it's not as if Spanish kids are THAT much smarter than American kids. Then again, many Spanish dubs have changed names of characters, but if the Spanish dub can keep the names, we can too, I guess. However, it seems as if these differences are caused by the Japanese in part as well, so you have to be consistent. We have to attack them as well. It's their fault just as much as it is Disney's. To say that we couldn't have retained the names is stupid. Again, European dubs have and if any of you want to see the history of French dubs, you only have to do some freaking research. I know most American kids aren't stupid, despite popular opinion. I'm not multiculturalist, far from it. I think in certain ways things should adapt due a country they land in, but when it comes to faithfulness, leave it as. I mean in Japan, they have McDonalds altered for their tastes, but at the end of the day, you still get what McDonalds is good for. Edited dubs at the least should be like international McDonalds.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
12:30pm actually isn't a horrible time slot for the Summer when school is out. They'll probably show some reruns at some point too.

(Late night filler reruns, likely, for those who Tivo, and probably cutting down on extraneous "demoted" reruns of Kick Buttowski.)

Which 12:30pm airing means it'll probably be bumping Boyster out of its slot (and good riddance, too), and following their slot of Gravity Falls and Pac-Man.
But if it faces any problem right now, it's that the show might be too GOOD for Disney X-D.

(At least, the current X-D that isn't showing Avengers:EMH or Tron: Uprising, and whose animators have had increasing cable-envy of Cartoon Network's drug use.
I've also noticed that the forum software has a bad habit of turning X and D into Anime hyper, and...that's a pretty good summary of the afternoon network right there.)
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Not to mentioned that since their using Bosch , this was gonna be handled by Studiopolis considering he's a regular studiopolis VA & disney is currently using that studio to handle the voices for all of the marvel series on their channel.

Minor correction, it's Bang Zoom dubbing this. The article these comments are tied to prominently states that. In non-anime dubbing, Bang Zoom recently did voiceover duties for Rick & Morty. JYB has also done a few Bang Zoom dubs, like Eureka Seven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where they are in the story? You can't say kids don't care. Some people like a bit of competence in their shows, even kids.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
My understanding is that it's one of those hyperepisodic shows where you're lucky to have anything introduced stick.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Viz will release this on DVD uncut? I know lots of shows that got edited got uncut DVDs released. Monster Rancher and Samurai Pizza Cats are two of those.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I wonder where they are in the story? You can't say kids don't care. Some people like a bit of competence in their shows, even kids.
Polycell wrote:
My understanding is that it's one of those hyperepisodic shows where you're lucky to have anything introduced stick.

Yeah, I'm a little confused, too--Did he mean "Story" = "Stage of production", or was he implying that there was some actual running season/series arc to this? Confused
In the case of the latter, don't worry, the show starts out with an origin flashback.

(And do we now have the term "Hyperepisodic" for shows that, gasp, don't connect from one episode to the next?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5