• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA Adds Chronicles of the Going Home Club Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Real talk though: Kitakubu improved dramatically as it went along, and was one of the best shows I've ever seen in terms of meta-humor about how terrible it is. (and its not actually that terrible!)
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
A show about a club which main focus is to go home/do whatever they want? I never heard of this show, nor have I ever heard such a club. This is the most unique club I have heard of since hearing on the news one time about a new club that was started in a school called the nap club (the name should be self-explanatory). I'll give this show a try. Smile It has an interesting concept and the characters, from what I read, seem to be fun.

Last edited by Aquasakura on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
rederoin wrote:
How?

Did you even bother to READ my post. I explain why it is a contradiction. Rolling Eyes

I don't see how that makes it a contradiction.

Do you know what a contradiction is?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
C'mon NISA, all the other companies are trying out new ideas so why can't' you try out a dub?

The "Lone Anime Superpower" that is Funimation is experimenting with real Limited Editions and sub-only blurays. As such, NISA really should be seeking new markets for its goods as Funimation is poised to conquer the one that they've nigh-monopolized for quite some time now.

The dub community is a powerful one. It is worldwide and has immense clout, more than enough to support a foray into dubbed releases. Just ask Sentai Filmworks.

Cool
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
My Name's Not Rick! wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Not to mention US voice actors really can't compete with JP voice actors. Voice acting in Japan is different, and the competetion is incredibly intense. Those who actually get roles, and even further up the line, those who consistently get MC roles are extremely skilled at their work.

Ok, but that's how things work in Japan, so why does that even matter here, in the U.S., or other place that aren't Japan?

Wow. Just wow.

It matters because of ALL the reasons I stated in my post. If you would've read it you probably would've understand why it matters. I suggest you go and do so. Now Wink .
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
dubs are cancer, that's hilarious

Yeah, it's funny ain't it? You can get an all-around fantastic release from NISA, with a big, sturdy beautiful art box, original JP art case covers & hardcover art books for the same price you would pay Sentai Filmworks for one of their barebones, dull looking, half-assed produced dub release.

This is just my opinion, but I personally think that what NISA offers is superior to your average dub release in any imaginable way. Wink
ethos711

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
The first 3 episodes of this show are quite slow. Nothing worth raving about up to that point. But after they shatter the 4th wall in the 4th episode I was hooked. Also, episode 10 is genius if you notice what's going on.
rydia251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
getchman wrote:
dubs are cancer, that's hilarious

Yeah, it's funny ain't it? You can get an all-around fantastic release from NISA, with a big, sturdy beautiful art box, original JP art case covers & hardcover art books for the same price you would pay Sentai Filmworks for one of their barebones, dull looking, half-assed produced dub release.

This is just my opinion, but I personally think that what NISA offers is superior to your average dub release in any imaginable way. Wink

I can agree to some extent on Sentai products, but Funimation products are in another league from them. I love the NISA boxes and watch 90% sub but like an occasional quality dub, even if the English dub industry is not the exact same as it is in Japan.

Regardless, you are pretty abrasive regarding the preferences of others. That box of yours is getting pretty soapy.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
everything involving rederoin

Contrary to your tinfoil hat assumption, I am not stalking rederoin. I was only replying to his/her posts within this thread (but hey, if you want hold the believe that I am personally going after rederoin at every possible opportunity, then go right ahead (who am I to stop you).

rydia251 wrote:

I can agree to some extent on Sentai products, but Funimation products are in another league from them. I love the NISA boxes and watch 90% sub but like an occasional quality dub, even if the English dub industry is not the exact same as it is in Japan.

With the exception of a few select releases (Funimation), there isn't much of a difference between Sentai and Funimation with regards to releases. They both pretty much subscribe to the "show in plastic case and that's it" mentality and rarely have releases that have any substantive extras.

Quote:
Regardless, you are pretty abrasive regarding the preferences of others. That box of yours is getting pretty soapy.

Don't see how him/her stating their opinion on dubs and their value is soapboxing or "abrasive". Last time I checked, it's not "inappropriate" to be against dubs or the idea of having dubs in releases.

Echo_City wrote:
C'mon NISA, all the other companies are trying out new ideas so why can't' you try out a dub?

The "Lone Anime Superpower" that is Funimation is experimenting with real Limited Editions and sub-only blurays. As such, NISA really should be seeking new markets for its goods as Funimation is poised to conquer the one that they've nigh-monopolized for quite some time now.

The dub community is a powerful one. It is worldwide and has immense clout, more than enough to support a foray into dubbed releases. Just ask Sentai Filmworks.

Cool

OR, they can continue to do what they are doing because it is working for them and they are making money from it. Clearly, based on how they have done their releases over the past several years, NIS (as well as Aniplex of America) aren't interested in being the 800-pound gorilla of the US Anime industry and are more than willing to allow Funimation to take that title (and all of the negative aspects that come with it). They are not obligated to do dubs for the series that they release (contrary to the belief of the pro-dub half of the community). To quote one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited by Himeko90 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
My Name's Not Rick!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

It matters because of ALL the reasons I stated in my post. If you would've read it you probably would've understand why it matters. I suggest you go and do so. Now Wink .

No I get it, but but why does it have to be some sort of competition.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Funimation puts out great boxes with great dubs, and Viz puts out great dubs and are now venturing into fancy boxes with K, all for roughly the same price as NISA stuff, so surely NISA can take a leap and get a popular show to dub.

And you're crazy if you think all dubs are bad. Sentai even released a fantastic dub with Girls und Panzer(proving that it's the director who makes or breaks a dub, not the actors), and some of their dubs are good enough to be watchable over the Japanese audio (which is not always perfect like some people seem to think).
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I thought it was average

Himeko90 wrote:
getchman wrote:
everything involving rederoin

Contrary to your tinfoil hat assumption, I am not stalking rederoin. I was only replying to his/her posts within this thread (but hey, if you want hold the believe that I am personally going after rederoin at every possible opportunity, then go right ahead (who am I to stop you).

whoa, easy man. I only meant this thread.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Funimation puts out great boxes with great dubs, and Viz puts out great dubs and are now venturing into fancy boxes with K, all for roughly the same price as NISA stuff, so surely NISA can take a leap and get a popular show to dub.

Those types of releases are the exception, not the rule when it comes to Funimation's releases in general. The MAJORITY of the shows that they license get put out in bare-bones, "the show and that's it" releases.

Quote:
And you're crazy if you think all dubs are bad. Sentai even released a fantastic dub with Girls und Panzer(proving that it's the director who makes or breaks a dub, not the actors), and some of their dubs are good enough to be watchable over the Japanese audio (which is not always perfect like some people seem to think).

Yeah, that's a subjective opinion, not fact (which I happen to disagree with).
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well it a nice pick but why them they need to start dubbing
NIS America, please continue to license shows and never dub them to make this guy unhappy. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:

NIS (as well as Aniplex of America) aren't interested in being the 800-pound gorilla of the US Anime industry and are more than willing to allow Funimation to take that title (and all of the negative aspects that come with it).

And the positives, including the economies of scale.

Himeko90 wrote:

They are not obligated to do dubs for the series that they release (contrary to the belief of the pro-dub half of the community). To quote one of my favorite quotes of all time:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And that applies to the rest of US anime industry as well - obviously they are making more money out of the dubs (as evidenced by Sentai going back and dubbing their early sub-only releases) and how they're doing now with releases, as they can afford more and more licenses than others. (And I'd daresay Space Dandy will only make money because there is a dub - and a simultaneous one at that.)

Whether J-seiyuu or dub VAs are better, worse, or the same are all subjective opinions. But I do agree the J-seiyuu industry are generally more highly skilled. Still, a lot of these opinions also boil down to something being the original, e.g. the roles being made for their skillset. Consider this example: for all their high skills, J-seiyuu dubs of Disney (or others') works hardly ever surpass the originals - and most Disney's Hollywood VAs aren't even the best out there (I mean, they're good, but they're not the best voice-acting around). So being the original plays a significant factor.

(Or how about when there's a subtle difference between a bad act and a good act...... don't get us started on some our Japanese buddies. It's almost irritating to always hear them explain something to us simply: "oh it's just natural we see things that ya [dumb] gaijin cannot notice" (ok I added the "dumb" part, but that feeling is what makes it irritating). Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5