• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses P.A. Works' Nagi no Asukara TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is another one of those dramatic romance series that are basically defined as "a bunch of people act like complete idiots for 13/26 episodes and get into ROMANTIC DWAMA that would be solved in 2 minutes if they're weren't all collectively holding the Idiot Ball", right?

I might actually watch this then. I just cannot stand the kind of romance series that requires the entire cast to act like complete idiots to squeeze dwama out.

Yay! Someone who knows how I feel about these things! Up high! *high five*
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
There is far more 'drama' coming from the upcoming spoiler[Saltpocalypse] than anything to do with the friggin' romantic notions of four middle school brats. Thankfully, the young woman in the typical wishy-washy indecisive situation has boldly stated what she plans to do. Which I'm so very thankful for.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There is far more 'drama' coming from the upcoming spoiler[Saltpocalypse] than anything to do with the friggin' romantic notions of four middle school brats. Thankfully, the young woman in the typical wishy-washy indecisive situation has boldly stated what she plans to do. Which I'm so very thankful for.

Id like to add going into the series I was super worried about the love triangles but I think they have actually been handled really well and in fact develop the characters in positive ways.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Some men just wants to see the world burn...

Some men or women just want to see the world have the opportunity to enjoy a P.A. works anime in a language they understand...

Instead of wacthing a japanese dub where the main male characters were cast pretty bad. Did none of the directors see the top A performed dub in Shin Sekai Yori?

So NISA just closed the door on making something new and good out of this show unless they release a premium and regular edition copy of the anime at the same time and actually try to make a dub for it.

Which I wanted Seraphim Digital to have the chance. They might of pulled Ty Doran for the lead along with some great female actresses, plus Chris Patton for sea student and Dylan Godwin for the love interest character.

Possabilities would have been endless.

But all you think of is quality of the BD which Sentai has done great on with Angel Beats, and even Tari Tari which is a DVD release. Cannan is excused since there were no BD masters at the time and now Japan decides to release a BD. Funimation would probably do the same good thing with Red Data Girl.

SquadmemberRistu wrote:
It saddens me that Angel Beats and Another are the only PA Works shows in recent history to get a dub.

At least we see and agree with somthing eye to eye and mouth to mouth Very Happy............... Confused something tells me that sounded weird, but you get the idea Razz
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Instead of wacthing a japanese dub where the main male characters were cast pretty bad. Did none of the directors see the top A performed dub in Shin Sekai Yori?

The Japanese dub is just fine and I don't see any problem with the male voices.

And everyone wants something different, I'd rather have NISA's beautiful releases than a lackluster release from Sentai with a dub.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
And all this time, I thought Sentai had already pre-licensed it. Regardless, I'm very happy to see that NISA got it, as they tend to do a very good job with their releases and subs (more stylistically-liberal than literal, but still faithful and well-written). NnA is my favorite series (along with KILL la KILL) this season and up there near the top this year, as it has done a great, believable job handling its coming-of-age story and adolescent romance (I know the racism side of the story is getting most of the attention, but find its strength the greatest there). It also happens to be among Mari Okada's more "controlled" works (so far), so it has that going for it, as well. Hopefully, the show can keep itself up to make it a worthwhile buy in the future…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! Looks like this will be my second NISA title I purchase.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Some men just wants to see the world burn...

Some men or women just want to see the world have the opportunity to enjoy a P.A. works anime in a language they understand...

So NISA just closed the door on making something new and good out of this show unless they release a premium and regular edition copy of the anime at the same time and actually try to make a dub for it.

Which I wanted Seraphim Digital to have the chance. They might of pulled Ty Doran for the lead along with some great female actresses, plus Chris Patton for sea student and Dylan Godwin for the love interest character.

Possabilities would have been endless.

But all you think of is quality of the BD which Sentai has done great on with Angel Beats, and even Tari Tari which is a DVD release. Cannan is excused since there were no BD masters at the time and now Japan decides to release a BD. Funimation would probably do the same good thing with Red Data Girl.

SquadmemberRistu wrote:
It saddens me that Angel Beats and Another are the only PA Works shows in recent history to get a dub.

At least we see and agree with somthing eye to eye and mouth to mouth Very Happy............... Confused something tells me that sounded weird, but you get the idea Razz

Something new and good? Can't remember the last time that happened to US dubs, maybe Cowboy Bebop Shocked?

And for that matter, i'm guessing you are from the US (haven't seen anyone outside NA complaining about shows not getting dubbed) and that should mean you'd be able to understand what the characters are saying through the subtitles that are always there... English isn't my primary language, and I have zero problems reading subtitles, even with dialogue-heavy shows such as Bakemonogatari it's easy to follow Confused .

Oh, and you're watching JAPANESE animation, you shouldn't always expect that something so foreign is catered to your personal needs.

I for one welcome the practice NISA has, producing high-quality releases with great packaging without a dub. I mean seriously, a barebones Sentai/Funimation release with 12 EPs costs 59.99$. That's disc + case only. A NISA release comes with a large & sturdy box, that always has gorgeous art on it, along with a 30+ page hardcover book in full color, for the same price! And lets not forget that NISA uses original Japanese illustrations, that is many times taken from the Japanese volume releases, which are also gorgeous Rolling Eyes .

/NISA fanboy off
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
maybe Cowboy Bebop?

and FMA, Kannon, Noir, Berserk, Fate/Stay Night, Raxephon, Gurren Lagann, Ef, Soul Eater, the list goes on. Think deeper.

Quote:
And for that matter, i'm guessing you are from the US (haven't seen anyone outside NA complaining about shows not getting dubbed) and that should mean you'd be able to understand what the characters are saying through the subtitles that are always there... English isn't my primary language, and I have zero problems reading subtitles, even with dialogue-heavy shows such as Bakemonogatari it's easy to follow.

1. Im from the US. Problem?

2. You label people with stereotypes much because there a fan in a certain country?

3. You should look at people in the UK to.

4. You are entirely missing the point I was making.

My previous comment stated that I would prefer that this show got a dub because I wanted to show other people this show. So the show gets no dub, swell. But that closes an opportunity to show this to a wider veiw of fans. And deep down everyone wants there favorite title to suceed and be known through more people, even you...................right? Confused
I constantly watch shows subtitled or dubbed. Sure I may not buy the show subbed but I would support it on legal streams. But even if its a subbed release. There are people out there who just can't stand to read a show.

Quote:
Oh, and you're watching JAPANESE animation, you shouldn't always expect that something so foreign is catered to your personal needs.

Missed the point again since i was obviously giving up my personal needs in risk to show this anime to other people. And who made you comunist dictator of the Anime Pit shooting down peoples opinions that they have a right to say in personal feedback? Well if you don't want a show to be brought into light for a new audience to enjoy to absorb more money into it insted of relying on a niche number of fans.................be my guest Rolling Eyes .

Quote:
I for one welcome the practice NISA has, producing high-quality releases with great packaging without a dub. I mean seriously, a barebones Sentai/Funimation release with 12 EPs costs 59.99$. That's disc + case only. A NISA release comes with a large & sturdy box, that always has gorgeous art on it, along with a 30+ page hardcover book in full color, for the same price! And lets not forget that NISA uses original Japanese illustrations, that is many times taken from the Japanese volume releases, which are also gorgeous.

Yet you were compaining about Sentai having barebone releases while saying funimation is the better deal, but now your tossing both into the same boat? I say practice what you preach. Though your stating disc and case wise, but whether there physical or digital, there still part of the release. I like NISA's strategy too, but there box designs can be terrible for collectors who want to place them on shelves like myself. But they cater to your, "personal needs," so thats okay. Wink

Japanese illustrations? If your talking about opening and ending text then Sentai already has ya covered, but if not. Then enjoy those........text flimsy covers that have asian text on there which on a english release is basically the translated version of the text. I thought they were nice before on my Garden of Sinners Blu-Ray box, but all in all its nice to some because it is foriegn, but it can push people away from trying the show out if they stop by there local market. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
/NISA fanboy off

indeed because you have a lot to learn about debating people with non-constructed criticism. Though I used some in majority of my comments in response, but think before you point and boldy underline your twisted comment inspired from a really good move that spawned millions of troll slogans to come.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I can now go to bed a very happy man. This is fantastic news! NIS can shut up take all my money!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
Every time I see a poster like bs3311 whine about a lack of a dub, I thank God that I actually enjoy listening to the sound of Japanese (which I don't understand, by the way) and have no problem reading subtitles. I've become much pickier about dubs and find most of them lacking.

But it's great to be excited about a title and not be bummed out just because it doesn't come with a dub. My guess is that as the years go on, sub-only releases are going to become more common as R1 distribs look for ways to cut costs. Hell, even Funi is experimenting with sub-only.

Bring it, I say.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
^^^ Preach it sister! Wink
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'd also like to pitch in that I'm grateful I'm getting an amazing release from NISA. Haters gonna hate and 'Murica ignored. Razz
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Every time I see a poster like bs3311 whine about a lack of a dub, I thank God that I actually enjoy listening to the sound of Japanese (which I don't understand, by the way) and have no problem reading subtitles.

Do not throw me in with those so called, "whiners," when I already said I was glad that this was getting a physical release.

bs3311 wrote:
wish this title got licenesed by sentai or funimation(mostly sentai) for a dub since the premise seems great too show to my family

Where in this comment displays me whining when it was objective criticism to view this show to someone else who is not a deep fan of anime whom does not like reading subtitles?

bs3311 wrote:
I constantly watch shows subtitled or dubbed. Sure I may not buy the show subbed but I would support it on legal streams.

Wether I buy stuff subbed or not, though I bought the Garden of Sinners Blu ray box which had no dub but Im glad of purchasing. I still watch shows and enjoy those shows subbed.

Overall, I hope your not someone who tosses people in a negative group just because they stood up for themselves when a person was insulting there opinion instead of going, "yeah, this is cool. glad for it. though maybe some objective stuff here but overal cool.".

What happend at the great sentai troll war when you were down on the fontlines?........... Laughing
kazume

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad Sentai didn't get it: they'd for sure give ayres one of the male leads yet again ruining the dub of the show.

This future release will look great next to my Premium Edition Hanasaku Iroha 1 and 2 Box sets.

So glad I forked out the $$$ for those, worth every penny, and this show/release will be too.

I can be patient for this ^ ^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2