• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Job Openings at Anime News Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I've got nothing but time on my hands. Except this phenomenal writing talent, of course. I could tackle that number of shows pretty handily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Maybe "absurd" was not the right word to use, but we do reckon that not every single reviewer in ANN covers every single show of every single season, right? That someone misses out on 5-6 shows when there are already 3 more people who can/will cover them would not kill anyone.

I'm trying to clear up these misconceptions because you're introducing a lot of them and working on assumptions, and I don't want that to take over the thread.

I'll say it again: the nature of the content being produced by the people hired for this requires that they have legal access to everything that's streaming. Not "everything except all of Funi and Viz's product", not "everything except the 3 or 4 shows not licensed for Spain by Crunchyroll", everything. I need someone with the flexibility to cover it all without limitation or 'someone else can do it'.

Quote:

All I'm saying is that it wouldn't hurt the site to have the perspective of people outside the USA -as others have said in this thread-, and with the current requirements, that's literally impossible because only the US has legal access to everything that's streaming

Where you live will have literally no impact on the content you would produce for this job. None. Zero.

Also, you're aware that we own and operate ANN.au and ANN.uk right?
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
From ANN's perspective, if they don't have to worry about someone not having access to certain shows, then that's always preferable.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Gee, no need to get so defensive about it. I do believe where you live and which culture you belong to would affect this kind of job -or almost any kind of job-, but whatever. I'm not even trying to make a case for anyone in particular (I don't know if that's the impression I'm giving, but I would not apply for the job even if I could), it's just an opinion. Seriously there's absolutely no reason to react like that.

Quote:
Also, you're aware that we own and operate ANN.au and ANN.uk right?

I am aware, but afaik -and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure about it- I believe ANN doesn't have British or Aussie reviewers
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I am aware, but afaik -and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure about it- I believe ANN doesn't have British or Aussie reviewers

They do. They're just not posted on the ANN main site. You have to go to the Australian or UK flavors of the site to see them or use the search engine.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Seriously there's absolutely no reason to react like that.

I'm answering your questions directly and trying to deflect the inevitable "but what about other regions" thing that pops up every single time, seemingly in spite of logic or reason.

Quote:

We do, they just aren't as prolific as our US-based critics. There are reviews exclusive to those sites often.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I probably meet all the technical requirements, with the exception of being choosy about the anime I watch. I doubt that I watch more than 8-10 anime series in a season.

Also, I think that if I were assigned to watch shows I would normally choose not to watch, I might end up not liking anime very much. I think it is fun to entertain the idea of professionally working at something that is a personal hobby. Thing is, would it still be fun if it becomes a job?

I used to work in publishing before I started my business. Now my business is at the stage where I have more free time. Lately, I've been working on creating an otome game, which is surprisingly time consuming (and fun). I think I'll stick with that for now.

I look forward to reading the reviews from whoever Zac hires. Though I would be really happy if Hope contributes more to ANN in the future. I really enjoy her writing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I've got nothing but time on my hands. Except this phenomenal writing talent, of course. I could tackle that number of shows pretty handily.

I think I could write a penguintruth review pretty easily. Let's give it a try, shall I?

"Like 99.9 per cent of all anime produced after 1998, this title is complete shit. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever except for the core of pathetic, moe-obsessed otaku who will relentlessly fap to it."

Please send my cheque care of Blood- Industries.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I get where you don't particularly want people outside North America. Once you start cutting out Funimation and even some Crunchyroll shows you're really getting particular about what you can watch. I would humbly suggest that there's no reason to reject Canadian reviewers out of hand though. The difference in flexibility between a US viewer who can watch literally everything and a Canadian who can still watch everything Crunchyroll or Funi streams and only is barred from the literal 1 or maybe 2 shows a season that Viz grabs seems minimal. Of course, I totally get where the slight added flexibility of watching Viz shows is a plus that works in favor of a US candidate and gets them hired over an equally impressive Canadian. But again, dismissing candidates outright seems unnecessary. I would think it would at least be worth considering Canadian applicants to see if any are preferable enough to the US ones to offset the slight limits. That's obviously just my perspective though. I'm not sure how exactly you go about dividing up review assignments so maybe I'm totally off base. Maybe the need for complete flexibility without exception is more important than I know. Just thought I'd add my two cents though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Also, I think that if I were assigned to watch shows I would normally choose not to watch, I might end up not liking anime very much. I think it is fun to entertain the idea of professionally working at something that is a personal hobby. Thing is, would it still be fun if it becomes a job?

A valid point. It helps to have various interests. But I imagine that you'd still like the shows you already like and seek out similar ones for fun, and the ones you dislike will remain shows that you dislike. I guess you still might get burnt out from the caseload, but those are the risks that come with doing what you love for pay.

I think the intriguing thing about the position is opening yourself to titles you wouldn't normally watch and perhaps finding you like them.

Blood- wrote:
"Like 99.9 per cent of all anime produced after 1998, this title is complete shit. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever except for the core of pathetic, moe-obsessed otaku who will relentlessly fap to it."

Hey, don't spoil my first review!

(Come on, I've written reviews before and they were nothing like that. Obviously I'd be more diplomatic in an official review. There's a difference between a review and a Talkback comment.) Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
@ penguintruth - actually, my faux review is a bit dated. I've seen some of your comments about recent shows that were actually kind of ... fair. But I can never resist a cheap shot. Wink

@ ikc - I recently tried to watch a Funi simulcast for one of their Fall '13 shows and got the "not available in your God-forsaken, benighted part of the world" message.
MentalMachine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand. If FUNi has the licence to anime in North America, why is it only the United States of America can view videos? Contrary to popular belief, North America is more than just one place. So why isn't more than one place allowed to get streaming/viewing rights?
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I recently tried to watch a Funi simulcast for one of their Fall '13 shows and got the "not available in your God-forsaken, benighted part of the world" message.

I prefer to call it "FOR THE LAND OF FREEDOM ONLY"message,it is more ironic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Funi's position really pisses me off. I can't believe it is not within their capacity to stream simulcasts into Canada - a market of 35 million people. That's like blowing off California or New York state. If CR can somehow manage the feat, surely Funi can find a way.

...which really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread ... sooooo, looking forward to reading the new hires!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Funi's position really pisses me off. I can't believe it is not within their capacity to stream simulcasts into Canada - a market of 35 million people. That's like blowing off California or New York state. If CR can somehow manage the feat, surely Funi can find a way.

...which really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread ... sooooo, looking forward to reading the new hires!

Interestingly, Funi's new site has been having issues with their region blocking and most of California hasn't been able to view their videos. I couldn't watch Blazblue or that Machine Doll thing as a result.

I mean, not that that upsets me, but still.

Anyway yes this thread is for questions about the positions open, not "bitch about region locking".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4