• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CG In Anime, What Do You Think About It?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
Well, personally I never like to see CG in anime. For some reason it just makes the series seem so cheap to me. I honestly don't understand why, but it just doesn't fit right in some series to me. For example, I never liked the CG in Duel Masters, it just felt so...cheap. Again, I can't exactly explain why I feel like this but I have seen some anime with CG that pulls it off nice.

So what do you think about CG in anime?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:38 am Reply with quote
I think CG is wonderful if the animator can find the balance between actual "animation" and computer graphics. CG shouldn't be abused. Yes, it adds to the realness of the Anime but too much of it can ruin a good thing...well... minus the exception of Karas of course.

But look at Makoto Shinkai's works. He uses CGs in both Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days: Beyond the Cloud and does a great job deciding WHEN CG needs to be used at the appropriate times. Another example is Last Exile where CG contributes to the realness of the environment of the sky along with Haibane Renmei with (I think) one scene (which I forgot unfortunately), with Baku-Ten and Solty Rei's mech sequences and battles and so forth.

But in general, CG can be both good and bad. To say it's bad or good or bad on an extreme basis would be too naive and ignorant of what the future holds for CG and it's contribution towards a new style of Animation.

For me, I have been pleased with what I have seen, especially with what Shinkai has done with it. I tell you, that guy is a genius and working his way up the ladder.
frostedsaiyan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
Lord Kefka wrote:
I think CG is wonderful if the animator can find the balance between actual "animation" and computer graphics. CG shouldn't be abused. Yes, it adds to the realness of the Anime but too much of it can ruin a good thing...well... minus the exception of Karas of course.

But look at Makoto Shinkai's works. He uses CGs in both Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days: Beyond the Cloud and does a great job deciding WHEN CG needs to be used at the appropriate times. Another example is Last Exile where CG contributes to the realness of the environment of the sky along with Haibane Renmei with (I think) one scene (which I forgot unfortunately), with Baku-Ten and Solty Rei's mech sequences and battles and so forth.

But in general, CG can be both good and bad. To say it's bad or good or bad on an extreme basis would be too naive and ignorant of what the future holds for CG and it's contribution towards a new style of Animation.

For me, I have been pleased with what I have seen, especially with what Shinkai has done with it. I tell you, that guy is a genius and working his way up the ladder.

Yea, I do like CG in some series, I'll have to check some of those out. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
It depends on how skillfully it's being with the animations, Last Exile that many people regard as one of the prettiest animes to date is a good example of smooth incorporation of CG with the animation, the first TV series of Full Metal Panic on the other hand is a glaring example of the opposite, the excessive use of CG made it highly contrast with the beautiful animations and character design and made the anime overall artistically unimpressive.
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:33 am Reply with quote
Depends on how the CG used. For example, Blue Sub 6 and Initial D were both made at around the same time, and both used CGI for the mecha animation, but Blue 6 was able to do a far better job (IMO) of integrating what was CG and what was hand-drawn.

Interestingly, Studio Ghibli hasn't used cel animation since Princess Mononoke; from my understanding, they've integrated CGI techniques into their production process by first creating the needed animation by hand, then scanning that into computers for further refinement and final rendering. This process was first used on My Neighbors the Yamadas, and has been used on every film they've produced since.

Fortunately, I believe that animation companies have refined combining hand-drawn animation and CG to the point where there's little risk of the two conflicting with each other (e.g., the windmills in Haibane Renmei are CG objects mixed with hand-drawn characters.) Part of it is probably due to new production techniques (like the aforementioned one I've described) and part of it is due to advances in computer technology.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I never once complained about the computer graphics in the Ghost in the Shell franchise because I always felt that it worked in some instances. The people should be animated and robots deserve to be CG'd.

On the other hand I saw Karas:The Prophecy on Encore for the first time the other day, and I think there was just too much CG going on that it distracted from the entire anime. Everything looked like chep 3D and I couldn't enjoy it.

I think as long as the animators and the graphic designers find some balance and solid ground the anime can look great with CG.[/b]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
Well first off CG is in anime a lot more than people think, and that's a good thing, because that CG you don't notice as CG means it's CG that was done well. I don't mind CG when it's done well and incorporated well, especially since it gives them a lot more flexibility with what they can present to us and that can easily translate to better story and more fluid animation. I'm not one to turn away new technology that can better the medium as a whole. That said it is possible for CG to just be incorporated poorly or appear to be tossed in just to add in some CG elements, that can actually detract from a titles quality.

Overall though I'd say I like the use of CG and feel with each passing year it's being integrated much more effectively and seamlessly and that's a good thing for anime in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
I think it all depends on the context. Are the artists truly more comfortable in the CG format, or does a particular movie or series have scenes that truly lend themselves better to CG? Some stories look really good in CG, while others lend themselves more to hand drawn animation. I think it has to be taken on a case by case basis. Sometimes CG can look stiff and other times be absolutely stunning, but the same thing can be said for hand drawn animation. I think it largely depends on whether the staff loves the project themselves or consider it just another routine job, and the harsh reality is that budget is and always will be a factor - just as it has always been.

One thing seems almost certain. It doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, and it looks like 99.9% of animation will now include at least one CG scene. The computer age is here.
heedree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
If the CG is done properly it can be very nice. For example like someone said earlier, in GITS. The CG parade/festival scene in GITS Innocence was breathtaking.

Also, wasn't Appleseed done entirely in CGI?
LuisRowinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I love CG in anime. Like lots of people said before me, it can be bad in some anime but most I've seen looks spectacular. Like Blue Sub 6 a lot of that anime is done in CG and it added so much to it in terms of depth and scope of the underwater sceens. I can't imagin seeing it any other way.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
heedree wrote:
If the CG is done properly it can be very nice. For example like someone said earlier, in GITS. The CG parade/festival scene in GITS Innocence was breathtaking.

Also, wasn't Appleseed done entirely in CGI?

Yes, it was. I think heavier use of CG works especially well in sci-fi/robot anime with all the shiny surfaces and machines. The scene in Appleseed where Deunan sees the arcology blocks for the first time (from the helicopter) had me on the edge of my seat.

Also, CG is used to do a lot of animation effects nowadays like sparks from magic powers and stuff like that. Another really good example of CG integrated with 'normal' animation was in the Fullmetal Alchemist movie when spoiler[the Nazi soldiers appear in Liore, and then later when they were marching on Central.] There was also the animation in Steamboy, which I thought was breathtaking. The story wasn't much, but I kept watching it because the visuals were just so stunning. Good CG shouldn't distract from the animation (like it does in some parts of Arjuna), and when it's used correctly it can be a very powerful tool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think CG in anime is okay as long as the movement of the CG is good. Sometimes they get CG in there that moves like crap, which makes you not want to follow it much.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
frostedsaiyan wrote:
Well, personally I never like to see CG in anime. For some reason it just makes the series seem so cheap to me. I honestly don't understand why, but it just doesn't fit right in some series to me. For example, I never liked the CG in Duel Masters, it just felt so...cheap. Again, I can't exactly explain why I feel like this but I have seen some anime with CG that pulls it off nice.

So what do you think about CG in anime?

Only if its exceptional added CG. Like in the later miyazaki films although i hear he doesnt like CG and belives in 2d tradition he used a little since its hard to animated some thing without it.

if CG is also used at a good time yes to that too like some of tha tranformations in Digimon.

If i had to choose between the 2 im a 2D lover forever.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I don't mind if CG is in anime, as long as it's not horrible, It can be bad but not horrible. By horrible I mean Divergence Eve horrible, that was the WORST CG in any anime i've ever seen. The monsters in the first season of Duel Masters looked better then the the crap in Divergence Eve......

That behind me, A lot of CG is quite good and can really bring out a show. Like Last Exile That was some of the prettiest animation and CG i've seen in an anime. Ghost in the Shell is another example of CG and anime working together great, it all depends on whoever's doing it.

Divergence Eve.....CG....suck.......bad CG.....show OK.....CG bad....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Arcanite Champion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
There's a right way and a wrong way to do it. Some shows, like Karas or Magical Play fit it in and make it work pretty well. Divergence Eve is a great example of the wrong way of doing it. The CG parts were probably put in because the animators were too lazy to draw some flashy scenes, the monsters look like crap, the movement is shoddy, and the CG backgrounds are always either extremely crappy or nonexistent. They probably could have made a passable show if they hadn't used CG animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2