• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Idea for Uncut One Piece dvd's

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote
So I had a thought. There are many people out there saying another company won't buy One Piece because they are afraid of it failing and do not want to go through the trouble of hiring voice actors and putting all this money into a new english dub. My thought is could anyone see a company releasing box sets with the japanese version only like what ADV did with sailor moon? I would like there to be a better dub and have it be relased like any other anime but this might be the only way for one piece to officially come to dvd in america uncut because it would becheaper to do subs only. So what do you guys think? Could you see thisw as a good idea or not? One of the only drawbacks I can see is the price.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:41 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't consider it a good idea--consider that most of the fans that said "I hate 4kids because they butchered One Piece" probably have 40+ GB of hard disk space specially carved out for the fansubs of the series, and may or may not be willing to buy DVDs from anyone. Sure, some will, but without an English dub to add to the mainstream appeal, the market for sub-only One Piece DVDs would be pretty small, and it would still be quite expensive to license, translate, and produce DVDs for 250+ episodes. So from my POV, it just isn't worth it for any company to release it, because without an English dub, you lose the mainstream popularity that long shounen fighting series need in order to be profitable, but with an English dub, the expense of producing it makes the chances for profit pretty slim. I'm no expert, but releasing OP looks like a lose-lose situation to me.

Also, the Sailor Moon seasons 1&2 boxed sets (which certainly didn't raise the bar for careful, high-quality, restored releases) didn't have the kind of pirate competition that One Piece does, pardon the pun. The OP fansubs are sleek, modern, HDTV-based, and widely distributed, and they're done by one of the best-regarded groups out there. Sailor Moon, on the other hand, had a bunch of low-quality .rm files floating around, probably ripped from 10+-year-old VHS fansubs. Thus for Sailor Moon, the "go legit" incentive factor is far higher than it would be for One Piece.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote
once the licence officially runs out, I think viz will relese it uncut, with subs only. I do not think that a redubing of the seriese is possible this late in the "rape" of the show. It is best just to hope for a good, unedited, subed relese.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:00 am Reply with quote
Curtis W. wrote:
once the licence officially runs out, I think viz will relese it uncut, with subs only. I do not think that a redubing of the seriese is possible this late in the "rape" of the show. It is best just to hope for a good, unedited, subed relese.

I don't know about that, Dragon Ball was saved at episode 67. Also Geneon started releasing sailor moon uncut after the R series.

Zalis your right about the money part, that could be a hudge risk. Also not having a dub could bring it down.

I just think that One Piece could really bounce back given a normal uncut release. If you look at Dragon Ball Z it did very well and when Funimation started doing it uncut they did not even start on episode 1. My idea to premote One Piece uncut would be to have a commercial come on Toonami and have TOM say something like "One Piece will be back with new episodes soon, but in the mean time re live how it all started and this time see adventures you didn't see before and a whole new music track. Sure the voices may be different but its all for the best. Make sure to watch a full hour of One Piece every saturday and staring (?) be here for the all new episodes of One Piece" or something like that where he would explain that One Piece is going to have original music, voices, etc. Something that would get the kids to want to watch it. Heck i wounldn't care if they even called it One Piece: Ultimate uncut.

Another thought if no company buy's it could Kaizoku maybe try to get the rights to release it on DVD?
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote
We can really use a re-dub of One Piece. The market for subbed anime is just too small.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
God Gundam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
[Make sure to watch a full hour of One Piece every saturday and staring (?) be here for the all new episodes of One Piece" or something like that where he would explain that One Piece is going to have original music, voices, etc. Something that would get the kids to want to watch it. Heck i wounldn't care if they even called it One Piece: Ultimate uncut.

Kids don't care about original music and voices. They just care about the action. I doubt most kids even realize they're watching a butchered show from Japan. Like Al Kahn said, "By the time we get done editing these shows, kids don't even know they're from Japan anymore." It's the hardcore fansub-watching fans that want an uncut version.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Another thought if no company buys it could Kaizoku maybe try to get the rights to release it on DVD?

No. They're a fansub group. I don't Toei would let them release DVDs of material they stole from them. I doubt they have that kind of money as well.

I would buy OP boxsets without a dub, but I doubt others will. I haven't seen the anime other than an episode of 4kids dub (I follow Viz's release of the OP graphic novels), but I'd be interested in it Smile
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Well, think that FUNimation should release an uncut One Piece DVD that is re-dubbed. Which means the voices will have to be changed and the content shouldn't even be removed. 4kids never releases uncut DVD because they never uncensor stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
Like Al Kahn said, "By the time we get done editing these shows, kids don't even know they're from Japan anymore."

Okay, for some reason that quote sent shivers down my spine.

I think it's really sad that 4Kids basically ruined the prospects of One Piece in America. I'm not a fan personally, but I know a lot of people who are, and now they'll never be able to get subbed versions in the States. It's like what they did with Shaman King, only worse because One Piece is a larger property and actually has a fanbase.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote
[quote="God Gundam"

Kids don't care about original music and voices. They just care about the action. I doubt most kids even realize they're watching a butchered show from Japan. Like Al Kahn said, "By the time we get done editing these shows, kids don't even know they're from Japan anymore." It's the hardcore fansub-watching fans that want an uncut version.[/quote]

But don't you think once kids see all the better action from the uncut version they would want to watch this new version?

God Gundam wrote:
Like Al Kahn said, "By the time we get done editing these shows, kids don't even know they're from Japan anymore."

quote=Okay, for some reason that quote sent shivers down my spine.

I think it's really sad that 4Kids basically ruined the prospects of One Piece in America. I'm not a fan personally, but I know a lot of people who are, and now they'll never be able to get subbed versions in the States. It's like what they did with Shaman King, only worse because One Piece is a larger property and actually has a fanbase.[/quote]

This scares me too. Its stupid since Naruto does so well and viz doesnt change anything, its also ironic too since they take everything possible japanese out of their anime but with ninja turtles they put a bunch of japanese stuff in. Plus I don't see why 4kids even got One Piece, they knew how popular it was and everyone was going to like it, but hey they probably just did it to piss us anime fans off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1